Need help on price for a 1997 GTS with 57000 miles

papabear

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am needing some help on what kind of price a Red 1997 GTS with 57000 miles would bring. Since I have been looking for a Viper I have never come across one with this many miles. I am going to look at it in person this weekend but from the pictures he sent me all the body seams look good and even. Some wear on the leather and a few minor swirl marks on the paint. But it does not look like anything a good detail shop could not handle. The miles are not that big of a deal to me since I want the car to drive. And it is still less than 10000 a year. So what kind of price should I be ready to offer if the car checks out well?

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My "educated" guess would be mid 30's... I've been on the lookout for a similar year GTS, and that's what I've come across as a good expectation to pay...

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Serious Eric's wrecked '01 Bumblebee brought over $28K at EBay auction. I don't think you will find one for much under $40k if it's in decent shape.

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Achilles- Gen I's are still going for that... low 40s for a '97 GTS, even with some miles

A GenI with 57k miles on it going for that? Maybe lower miles would get high 30's, but not high miles.

Miles do wonders for a car's resale. I just bought a 98 GTS for slightly under $40k, and it only had 32k on the odo.

I still stand by my original statement... it's not uncommon to come by an early GTS for under $40k. I'm not talking about one lucky find... I've seen SEVERAL go for under $40k in the last three months...

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I traded my 97 blue/white GTS last April on my SRT. GTS had 50,000 miles, near new tires, Corsa exhaust, excellent condition, for $49,000 USD. I know the dealer had the car in his showroom for a few months but did sell it for a small profit. Also sold my 96 RT/10, privately, about 6 months before the GTS and got the same amount - RT had about 15,000 miles, totally bald tires, Autoform hard top, and in excellent cond.
I don't think the prices are any different in Canada.
With swirl marks and the seats being in rough shape I would question how well the car has been taken care of. My seats were like new and other than a few very minor rock chips on the front of the car, it was in excellent condition. How is the rubber?
Why not have a VCA member have a look at it with you - another opinion never hurts!

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would not use EBAY as a source for pricing. EBAY cars that actually do sell (not false ads) for extremely low prices usually have a story behind them.

I have bought many cars in my 32 years, and one notion has always held true. If it's to good to be true,..... you know the rest.

My. 02.

OP
OP
P

papabear

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's. Once I see the car in person I will be better able to determine it's condition. I am thinking low to mid 30's myself depending on how nice it is. If it is close to 40 then I buy a car with lower miles. I am not in a hurry so I have time on my side.

rich v.

Viper Owner
Reaction score
papabear, where is the car? i saw a red GTS sell at Auction with those miles about a month ago in central PA, granted it could have gone anywhere, but the car i saw had leather cracking, bad paintwork on the hood, heat damage on the side sills where the exhaust runs, and it sold for $35900. from a dealers point of view, we were all looking at each other with disbelief :confused:
the car ran though twice before and did $32k and $33k. mid 30's is all that that car is worth. let me know if you think it may be the same one. it was a bank selling it and a dealer bought it online so i could not see his face to know who it was. good luck!!

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
rich v says he saw one just like this sell to a dealer at auction for $35900.
That should be a tip off that the car is going to retail for $40k or so.
The dealer bought it for less than he plans to sell it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheHunter