Need help wiring ROE fan control unit.

2002_red_gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I received a roe fan control from another member. It appears that it's the upgrade kit. Which does don't come with the relay and fuse like the full kit. Does anyone have any idea if I can make this work with or with out the relay. If I can run to radio shack and get a what ever amp relay and wire it up please tell me how

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you could find out how the system works and how its wired, I would be very interested.

Ive got two electric fans left over from my Kit car days which I could fit to the front of the radiator, but also need to know if there is an independent switch in the dash area or whether the fans kick in via the thermostat?

OP
OP

2002_red_gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you could find out how the system works and how its wired, I would be very interested.

Ive got two electric fans left over from my Kit car days which I could fit to the front of the radiator, but also need to know if there is an independent switch in the dash area or whether the fans kick in via the thermostat?

Will do. My guess is the box is a adjustable resistor that allows you to change the voltage coming back for the thermostat sensor to the computer so that the car thinks it's running hotter then It is and the relay would allow it to run once the car is off but I could be wrong. Once I figure it out I'll let you know what wires are where and what they do.

darkostoj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
does the factory fan have a low and high speed setting? If so, when you wire in the roe fan control do you wire it into the high speed fan wire?

darkostoj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^^^ that is the low speed wire

You must be registered for see images

now i'm a little confused. When does the high and low speed fan come on?

So the roe unit controls the low speed fan setting only correct?

It sounds like it allows you to change the desired start time of the low fan speed setting, and the high speed setting is still controlled by the pcm....then after you shut down the car the roe unit turns the low speed fan setting on and off...right?

does that sound right?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you follow the schematic that I have... The Roe unit cannot operate unless the vehicle has no oil pressure (or a defectice pressure switch at least). Typically though, zero oil pressure = engine off. From there, it will upon the sensing of the Roe thermostat turn the fan on and off. Based on their wiring plan, it will operate the fan on low speed only as the connection point is directly to the fan wiring past the hi-lo relay.

Speaking of the hi-lo relay there are 2 relay controls for the Gen 2 cooling fan. They function with the engine *on* as controlled by the PCM. One relay is the on-off relay and simply turns the fan on or off based on thermostat input to the PCM. The second relay is the hi-lo relay and it decides hi or lo. Once again based on PCM / thermostat. These 2 relays are in series and either one malfunctioning or blown can prevent the fan from running. The hi-lo relay does default to lo speed though, so if it burns out the relay coil your fan can still operate on lo if the on-off relay is working.

These 2 systems - the Roe and the factory cooling - do not cross over in operation, unless you get carried away like I do and build your own fan and control system like in my wiring diagram.

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Roe unit cannot operate unless the vehicle has no oil pressure (or a defectice pressure switch at least).
To be clear, this operation mode is true even when the Roe kit is installed per Roe directions? In other words, the adjustment *** on Roe's black box does nothing for fan operation when the engine has oil pressure?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To be clear, this operation mode is true even when the Roe kit is installed per Roe directions? In other words, the adjustment *** on Roe's black box does nothing for fan operation when the engine has oil pressure?

I just looked at Roe's web site and their revised system states that it controls the fan during engine run. I do not use the revised system as for one, I designed my own system, and two, have an SCT that lowers the temp. I also have - but have never used - the update kit for the older system. So I would say if the revised system runs with engine on as they claim, that my wiring diagram only applies to cars using the original kit. I have yet to reverse engineer the wiring on the upgrade kit. Sorry for the confusion.

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I would say if the revised system runs with engine on as they claim, that my wiring diagram only applies to cars using the original kit. I have yet to reverse engineer the wiring on the upgrade kit. Sorry for the confusion.
Thanks just wanted to be sure I had everything set up right. I remember adjusting the *** with the engine running so the fan would kick in at the middle-third hash mark on the gauge.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang