Need help with wheel bearing problems

supraman95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am replacing a front wheel bearing and no matter where I go I cannot find anyone who has the bearing and hub assembly with the bolt and nut that goes through it. I can get the bearing but now one carries the bolt and nut.

I am assuming that this has to be on the bearing in order to keep it from seperating??? It is the first time I have ever seen a bolt that goes through a bearing like that.

Anyone know where I can get one of the bolt and nut combos to go with my new bearing?
thanks all

V

Venomiss

I am replacing a front wheel bearing and no matter where I go I cannot find anyone who has the bearing and hub assembly with the bolt and nut that goes through it. I can get the bearing but now one carries the bolt and nut.

I am assuming that this has to be on the bearing in order to keep it from seperating??? It is the first time I have ever seen a bolt that goes through a bearing like that.

Anyone know where I can get one of the bolt and nut combos to go with my new bearing?
thanks all

Found this thread in a search-it has a phone number in the thread.
Hopefully this will help you.

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/608344-knock-arm-bearings.html

You have a what year Viper? You can update your status to Viper owner by PM'ing the moderators with your information(only they can see it).
Or join us-look in the new owners section at the top for online renewals/joining.:)
Good luck!

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just looked at Mitchell On Demand on line manual for a 99 GTS. Says that hub and bearing is one piece(shows a picture also) and that "the bolt and nut assembly are not servicable" and no attempt to disassemble should be made. I guess it doesn't mean it can't be done but good luck gett'n parts. It is a torqued assemble but didn't give a spec. either. Sounds like you need an assembly. Good Luck:headbang:

OP
OP
S

supraman95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the ifo guys. Trying my best to get this thing done so I can get to VIR this weekend.

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe that nut and bolt is conical in shape. It is supposed to be a one piece unit. I would not seperate the two, and try to fix, especially if you are going to track the car. Hub assembly bearings are so critical to these cars if being tracked.

OP
OP
S

supraman95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone know off the top of their head what to torque the wheel bearings to?? I have heard 250ft lbs. I want to check the front and rears when I replace this one.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no torque for the front wheel bearing assembly bolt in the service manual but the torque for the rear wheel bearing is 190 ft lbs and should be the same for the front. I have two front wheel bearing's in stock: #4763182 MSRP $299.00 [less 20% VCA discount, plus shiiping]:cool: If you need one, call me, 914-763-3136.

SidewinderGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I took both hubs to a garage and asked them to take nut and bolt off my old one and put It on the new one.If I bought from dealer ,nut and bolt would be on.
Mines a a 97 and done one track day before putting it away with no problems.:drive:
You must be registered for see images attach

[email protected]

OP
OP
S

supraman95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Chuck. that is what I needed to know. If my bearing shows up today without the bolt I will be giving you a ring.

vipermech1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The bearings were orginally from a dakota pickup. The stub
end was added due to the fact that it was being used on the viper
front wheel. The stub can be used over. But the nut has to be
locked. Locktite and a chisle strike will retain it. The stub
was to retain the bearing inner races togeather. If a car is
even pushed a few feet without the stub shaft the bearings will
be damaged.

OP
OP
S

supraman95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If a car is
even pushed a few feet without the stub shaft the bearings will
be damaged.

That is what I needed to hear and know. Thanks so much for that reply! I figured it was a bearing used on something else becaue it has a spline in it. Thanks again!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonychicken