Need new tires. Questions

mousetom78

Viper Owner
Reaction score
stock size for gen 3. Should I repair my curb rash on my stock rims on gen 3? Anyone has stock rims powder coated black for red 03-10 srt-10 convertible. Where is a good place to take my viper rims to for repair at DC/MD/NOVA area?

Here's my deal with tires an't debate Nittos, Kumho and ps2.

I heard Nittos have some speed rating issues. Hows speed ratings on Kumho. I heard we need (Y) speeding for exceed 186 mph for our cars. Old z rating isn't cutting it any more. I am not looking to run 200 mph but it is proper to get right speed ratings. Does PS2 justify extra 400 dollars price tag.

Reaction score
The Nitto tire rides very well and is a good tire based on price. If your not doing over 150 all the time you will be fine. The PS2 is a great tire and does everything well, grip and ride are tops. I like the Kumho for grip and price although the tire is pretty noisy on the Hwy if you drive a lot. It would definitely be the street tire choice for autocrossing and occasional track day.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before spending the money repairing or powdercoating you 10 spokes, you ought to look at the new 6 spokes. Much better looking and a whole lot lighter as well. You can find them all day for $1,500 to $1,600.

As far as tires, I have run the PS2's and love them, but the VPA just got the first new set of Invos in and I've already placed my order. For the 95% street driving I do, I figured I would give them a shot. If I don't like them, I can always use them up real quick :) and go back the PS2's.
The Kumhos are supposed to be really sticky and good for the track, but I won't take full advantage of that and would just have a tire that isn't going last very long.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How bad is the curb rash? can you shoot me a pic and I'll give you an idea about what it would cost to repair. That might help you decide what to do :2tu:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Probably will cost you at least around 200+ to redo the rim, but the big problem is you will need to do both on the same side of the car. Over the years we have had super difficulty finding anyone to be able to match the clear on the 10 spokes. It is proprietary and we could not even find out from Chrysler ( don't think the supplier would even tell them ).

So figure doing two so they look good. Now you have to decide if you would just rather get a set of 5 spokes or others -- get in touch with Viper Parts of America as they have a warehouse full ( www.viperpartsofamerica.com )

Bill Pemberton

OP
OP
M

mousetom78

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I do track the car at drag stripe so I guess I will go with kumho and save some money from ps2. I will take some pics of curb rash. I got rashes on two rims and clear coat is coming off on all of them. I am thinking about black powder coating as cheap altnerative to new wheels.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard several opinions before, but does anyone know on average, how many miles you can roughly get on a set of PS2s before you need to swap them out? Also, how much are a set of brand new Nitto tires and what type do people normally get for a Viper? I tried using the tire selector on Nitto's website, but there were "no results found" when I did a search.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How bad is the curb rash? can you shoot me a pic and I'll give you an idea about what it would cost to repair. That might help you decide what to do :2tu:

Chip can probably fix them for a good bit less than $200. Does excellent work. You will not be disappointed. :2tu:

DanielR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've heard several opinions before, but does anyone know on average, how many miles you can roughly get on a set of PS2s before you need to swap them out? Also, how much are a set of brand new Nitto tires and what type do people normally get for a Viper? I tried using the tire selector on Nitto's website, but there were "no results found" when I did a search.

I have no experience with the PS2, but you can find Nitto INVO prices in Viper sizes here.

https://www.viperpartsofamerica.com/index.php/categories/tires

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score

LaViper

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Before I installed my new PS2's from JonB, I had 3 stock rims repaired. 1 rear was the worst.:crazy2: I didn't think they could fix, but they came out like new. $125.00 each. I'm still in shock.:lmao: I was expecting a "so so" job, but they couldn't have come out better. :2tu:

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Before I installed my new PS2's from JonB, I had 3 stock rims repaired. 1 rear was the worst.:crazy2: I didn't think they could fix, but they came out like new. $125.00 each. I'm still in shock.:lmao: I was expecting a "so so" job, but they couldn't have come out better. :2tu:

I had a top tier Dodge Viper Dealer ruin one of my rims, and they won't fix it. Where did you get yours fixed at?

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Nitto tire rides very well and is a good tire based on price. If your not doing over 150 all the time you will be fine. The PS2 is a great tire and does everything well, grip and ride are tops. I like the Kumho for grip and price although the tire is pretty noisy on the Hwy if you drive a lot. It would definitely be the street tire choice for autocrossing and occasional track day.

The Nitto seem to be priced very well, $600 less then the PS2. Was looking at Kumho but I do alot of Highway driving so sounds like those are out.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I agree with MJ on performance and handling. But I have not been concerned or affected by any Kumho road noise, nor have any of MANY customers mentioned it. MJs car is waaay louder than mine, so I dunno how he can even hear his tires!

BFGs sound like a flat-spot-symphony by comparison. nittos dont CORNER any where near as well as PS2 or Kumho, but will be just fine for straight speed bursts, but NOT for a "One Lap Of America" type event.

hyatt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
stock size for gen 3. Should I repair my curb rash on my stock rims on gen 3? Anyone has stock rims powder coated black for red 03-10 srt-10 convertible. Where is a good place to take my viper rims to for repair at DC/MD/NOVA area?

Here's my deal with tires an't debate Nittos, Kumho and ps2.

I heard Nittos have some speed rating issues. Hows speed ratings on Kumho. I heard we need (Y) speeding for exceed 186 mph for our cars. Old z rating isn't cutting it any more. I am not looking to run 200 mph but it is proper to get right speed ratings. Does PS2 justify extra 400 dollars price tag.

go to extreme powder coating they fixed my rash while powdercoating

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with MJ on performance and handling. But I have not been concerned or affected by any Kumho road noise, nor have any of MANY customers mentioned it.

As one of his many customers, I have not noticed 'Any' additional road noise over the factory ZP's. Love my new Kumhos :headbang:

LaViper

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I had a top tier Dodge Viper Dealer ruin one of my rims, and they won't fix it. Where did you get yours fixed at?
A shop in Metairie,La. (near New Orleans,La). I don't have their name or address now because I'm out of town. Send me a PM or I will post info friday (25th). They do great work.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4