Need opinion on price of viper I am looking at

jason8416

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, just joined the website and must say I have learned much from searching and reading. I would really appreciate it if I could get everyone's opinion on this 2001 rt/10 I am looking at purchasing. It is a 2001 red, with black leather interior. Has 42,300 miles. The owner said they just replaced front and back tires and the AC. The car does not have one scratch or rock chip on it. The car has an alpine radio, and new speakers. The interior is in excellent shape, seats look new. I ran the last 8 of the vin on the dodge website I found on this website and it shows their no recalls. The price was 30,000 I have the owner at 29,000. Has had 2 previous owners. Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jason8416

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe it has both tops, just left a message for a call back to ask that exact question. The pics I saw had the hard top on it. Oh and I had my brother run a carfax on it, which I know isnt much and it came back clear.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
As ALWAYS...I strongly suggest that that you ask a Dodge dealer to run the VIN and let YOU review the report (names addresses blacked out to stay legal per privacy act) BEFORE you go any further!!!

Good hunting!!

OP
OP
J

jason8416

Enthusiast
Reaction score
k, Ill contact my local dealer and see if they can do that for me.. I am from houston, texas forgot to mention.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
And the car is where?

I'm guessing you havn't seen the car? Lots of miles and no rock chips means that it's been painted recently or he's incorrect. The clear bra helps keep the rock chips down, but doesn't eliminate them. I'm repainting the nose of my 2000 ACR and it has only 26,000 miles. Scratches where ALL Viper drag the nose on driveways, curbs, gutters, entryways, underground parking, etc etc. caused quite a few scratches and paint flaws in my nose. Like all Viper bumpers, and being lowered perhaps even moreso, but it's painted and I'll have only a couple rock chips on the hood by the end of the week. Side Sills on my Sapphire car are going to get some paint next. I turned 50,000miles yesterday.

Price seems really low to me. Car doesn't even have Hiflow cats and decent exhuast? There was a "blow out sale" on a GTS that had some re-paint bubbling damage and over 30,000mi. and it went for $29500 I think.

Good luck!

Ted

OP
OP
J

jason8416

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its in Oklahoma, and I have not seen the car in person. I can not find anything local that is a good price. I am calling the dodge dealer tomorrow and have a friend that worked on vipers that is willing to look at it. If anyone knows of something under 35k rt/10 or gts please let me know! And for mods I have no really asked, I did see Filters. Ill post a photo.

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If its that old with that many miles, unless its covered in clear bra, it has rock chips, unless its been repainted:)

OP
OP
J

jason8416

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ya i know for sure it has had to been repainted from the pics it looks really clean for the miles. Also it has a short throw shifter, intakes, and mufflers. Not sure on brand getting all that info. heres the pics

You must be registered for see images

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You should have a bodyman check over the car and measure the frame if it's painted. Car's don't normally need a paintjob unless they get smashed up (except for rock chips which can't be seen in a picture). Vipers get written off easily since the hood alone is an easy $18,000 plus another thousand for paint (new) and they're $28,000 in Canada. The headlights get quite pitted after about 30,000mi. or so (they can be fixed). As soon as I saw damage on my Headlight lenses I covered them with a tinted protector film. A polish kit and a days work will usually make the headlights as good as new. Just make certain that you're not paying for a "rebuilt" title Viper. The doors are made of fibergals and the weave of the material can easily be seen in the doors. If the doors are smooth, they've been repainted.

You'll be buying a Hood that comes with a car!

Ted

OP
OP
J

jason8416

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya I am glad I asked questions on here, its suppose to have a clear title. Offered 28,000 waiting for a response. I will keep everyone updated, if anyone else has any input please let me know.

2001-V10 Power Nut

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Aren't the Viper RT/10 logo's & Dodge/Viper logo's usually silver??? I know on my old

RT/10 which was sapphire blue, they were silver, not the same color as the car??

does this mean a re-paint? I dont know. Have you checked with Mike @ Ringold Dodge in Georgia for used Vipers??
:cool:

OP
OP
J

jason8416

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes i have wont really budge on their price. I am looking for the 35,000 otd range.

OP
OP
J

jason8416

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just looked at a few red 01 rt/10 all of them have the red rt/10 emblems on the side. but the paint does look new..

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sapphire cars came with Chrome letters. All other cars came with body color logos.

There was some Sapphire cars with blue logos and some with the Dodge and rear Viper logos blue while the side emblems were chrome. Interesting tidbits. I ordered chromed "Supercharger" logos for the side to compliment my sapphire GTS emblems

My Red/Silver ACR has body color plastic logos with ACR being a white vinyl decal. My 98 GTS had tasteful Viper GTS logos with 'supercharger' on the side. Looked great and I'm waiting for RDJ distributing's (or whatever) package to arrive.

Larry Macedo also has another outfit that ships 3D logos in Florida area.

Ted

V

Venomiss

Good luck with your viper search and sent you some ideas.

Hope you can join up with the Houston group when you get your dream.

OP
OP
J

jason8416

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys, Ya I am thinking of probably passing on this one. I really want a GTS, I just thought 28,000 would be a great deal. Ill see what he says tomorrow. Its not like I have to have it right now :)

V

Venomiss

INTRO
Houston website.
Meet some of your local Vipers and do some more research.
My bet is they will be happy to help you.

OP
OP
J

jason8416

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya I am now.. Found black/silver stripes and solid red, both for about 37,000k out the door and both low miles.. Trying to do some research on them as we speak... Thanks everyone

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheHunter