need rear differential advice...

04 SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, I blew out the rear end in my car somehow... I need to replace it. One dealer quote $4500 and another said he could find a used one for around $1000 and 5-6 hours to instal at 130 an hour. What other option do I have?

roller

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So, I blew out the rear end in my car somehow... I need to replace it. One dealer quote $4500 and another said he could find a used one for around $1000 and 5-6 hours to instal at 130 an hour. What other option do I have?
You could rebuild yours if the housing isn't damaged.

speedfreak99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just had the same problem. I figured may as well learn how to work on the car so I removed the diff housing and took it to a good driveline shop to install all new guts that I purchased. New wavetrac diff, 3.55 gears and master bearing kit and seals .I ordered the parts from Josh at Roe. Pretty simple really and upgraeded from stock. All parts totaled around $ 2500.00 and $450 for driveline shop. So if you wana try doing it this way if you want any info on removing diff the easy way without any special tools lemme know.

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Woodhouse or any of the many vendors on this site can get you set up. I have a Unitrax 3.55 late model style in my '03. If your housing is not damaged it can rebuilt for much less than you have been quoted. Probably a good 4WD shop can do it but buy GOOD gears made in the US not some junk.

OP
OP

04 SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
weekend cruiser... haven't took it to the strip, but some spirited on road driving. found a used rearend for 1050 with shipping from a place in Illinois. not sure yet... i don't like that i tore it out in 3000 miles that ive had it so I'm not sure i want to go back to stock. if i had a better garage id take it out myself. i

speedfreak99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I drove car up on a set of Race Ramps 10" high and just floor jacked rear of car up with two jacks and blocked it on rear jack points with short pieces of wood, 6"x6" cross hatched 3 high. I had enough room to do the job properly. Its really not a bad job at all . There are some great threads on here with the right info. I was intimidated till I read up on the steps. Dont replace with stock if you dont have too. $ 3000 = complete upgraded diff parts + labor ( assuming you do the removal) and you learn about your car .

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What RPM are you launching it at? If by "spirited on road driving" you are including a little acceleration therapy, quite a few people have broken their diff while launching from a high RPM launch. So if this is what you want to do, you need a stronger diff than stock and, while you are at it, stronger half shafts.

weekend cruiser... haven't took it to the strip, but some spirited on road driving. found a used rearend for 1050 with shipping from a place in Illinois. not sure yet... i don't like that i tore it out in 3000 miles that ive had it so I'm not sure i want to go back to stock. if i had a better garage id take it out myself. i

OP
OP

04 SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think what did it was going 40 dropping it to first and launching there... right after that is when i started to notice it.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that your assumption is correct. May I ask why you used this approach? The shift to second would be almost immediate and the risk of breaking traction and getting a serious snake bite increased. Do you shift from 1st to 2nd without lifting off the throttle? Have you had any linkage issues develop? Some have bent their shifter forks shifting too forcefully. ( I do not use the Viper for drag racing at all. I do not think that it was designed to be an effective drag car. It was designed as a road racer. So to make the tranny, diff, half shaft and linkage changes really needed to make it an effective drag racer is quite a bit of work. One solution is to drop a racing automatic tranny with a trans brake in it along with the diff and half shaft changes. I believe that Woodhouse can, and has, done this.)

i think what did it was going 40 dropping it to first and launching there... right after that is when i started to notice it.

OP
OP

04 SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
pretty much showing off... pretty stupid. it might have been a little slower than 40. but, you get the drift. i think i'll go with the stock one and saving some money and lightening up my right foot. i was under the impression that these cars are more bullet proof, i was wrong. lessson learned the hard way... the shift forks are still good, shifts smooth.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
...So to make the tranny, diff, half shaft and linkage changes really needed to make it an effective drag racer is quite a bit of work. One solution is to drop a racing automatic tranny with a trans brake in it along with the diff and half shaft changes. I believe that Woodhouse can, and has, done this.)

Don't you think this is a bit overboard for the occasional spirited drive? I personally don't know anyone even with a TT that has done this. He just had a lemon of a Diff, it happens. Downshifting once in a while into first gear at 40 on a stock engine is not that brutal. I do it sometimes with my GEN1 and it has 490RWHP and I've never broken a diff. A used stock replacement is the way to go if you just want to get on the road. But a set of 3.55 gears can be had for $500 if all you broke was that and it will be stronger. Just go to Roe's website and check it out. Even if you pay to get it done, it will cost less than a used replacement.

Last edited:

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have always been very impressed how well Vpers take the abuse I've seen given to them. If you have ever attended a VOI when factory cars are available to be driven you would see what I mean.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Read the post more carefully. Key words: "to make it an effective drag racer". I was just mentioneing am alternative. He did not have a lemon diff. Depending on how it is done, down shifting from 40 can be quite brutal. I have little knowledge about the Gen I diff so I can't comment. The stock Gen III diff was crap and the warranty replacement part for it is the Gen IV diff. All my cars are modded. See velow. Each one is modded in a balanced way. That increases durability and reliability. Each of the cars is bullet proof because of the care taken to create a balanced piece. A search of these forums over the last 12 years will show you many instances of people who have increased power without considering the effect on other vehicle componenets and then had problems.

Don't you think this is a bit overboard for the occasional spirited drive? I personally don't know anyone even with a TT that has done this. He just had a lemon of a Diff, it happens. Downshifting once in a while into first gear at 40 on a stock engine is not that brutal. I do it sometimes with my GEN1 and it has 490RWHP and I've never broken a diff. A used stock replacement is the way to go if you just want to get on the road. But a set of 3.55 gears can be had for $500 if all you broke was that and it will be stronger. Just go to Roe's website and check it out. Even if you pay to get it done, it will cost less than a used replacement.

rhallman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few months back I called Devon at Unitrax for a replacement diff. He was great to talk with and he even had a core there to re-bearing and installed the new WaveTrac assembly in it. The price was awesome and the customer service could not be beat. I'd call Devon before doing anything else.

Rich

dchunck911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a new 2010 ACR-X differential with cover, has 3.73 gear, GKN limited slip.
In a shipping crate ready to go, $1,700.00 including freight to you.

Contact me off line at [email protected]