Need some help-few questions

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took these pictures of my 97 GTS for another reason, but I started noticing some things when I was looking over them..Besides that the engine bay being filthy.

1. Any type of belt is recomended? Apprently this belt is short a rib from the pictures:omg:

2. Are these factory pullies? I was looking at other members pictures and saw some black ones, so I was curious if these were aftermarket.

3. This car has an aftermarket aluminium raidiator on it(assuming fan also). Yesterday I was driving it in 85 degree heat with high humidity. The temperature gauge sits in the middle in stop and go traffic. I turned on the A/C and it creeped up to a little before the mark between 190-250.. Guessing that mark is 225, so it was around 215. I'm worried when its 100+ degrees outside it will get even hotter. As soon as I started moving it dropped down to 185-190.

Suggestions on the "over heating" problem while sitting in traffic?

4. I noticed the fuse panel has a red wire tapped into it. Can't for the life of me see where it goes to. Ideas? I haven't got down and dirty to follow it.

5. Curious...Does anyone know how much clearnence there is between the hood and the top of the throttle body/intake area?

You must be registered for see images

Thanks!

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. I would definitely replace the belt
2. The pulley looks like the aftermarket billet-aluminum pulley that replaces the crappy plastic OEM p/s pulley thats been known to break and leave people stranded
3. Vipers are designed to run hot. As long as you aren't in the red, you're ok. That coming from the guy who trains all GA Viper techs
4. Not sure, what picture is it in?
5. I used to know the clearance b/t the intake manifold and hood, but not from the t-body and hood.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have aftermarket pulleys, and being on rib short is not a problem as long as you remain naturally aspirated.

Can't really comment on the rest.

OP
OP
F

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. I would definitely replace the belt
Will do, are these normally kept at local auto parts stores, or should I contact a VCA vendor?

2. The pulley looks like the aftermarket billet-aluminum pulley that replaces the crappy plastic OEM p/s pulley thats been known to break and leave people stranded

Most excelent

3. Vipers are designed to run hot. As long as you aren't in the red, you're ok. That coming from the guy who trains all GA Viper techs

Good to hear. I just read some guys claim theirs never move from the 190 area no matter what. So I was curious.

4. Not sure, what picture is it in?

No picture of this one. All I have seen is a red wire hooked up. I just need to try and figure out where it goes by following it. I was in work clothes when I was taking pictures and didnt want to get on the ground.

5. I used to know the clearance b/t the intake manifold and hood, but not from the t-body and hood.

If you remember thanks. I planned on doing some figuring out myself, but if someone else knew, it would save the trouble.

Thanks again!

BTW: If anyone sees anything else aftermarket in these pictures let me know. It obviously has edelbrock heat shields, and assuming they are edelbrock long tubes. aftermarket plug wires(brand??), and k&n intake. Just wish I knew what brand raidiator/fan was in the car.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Radiator looks like a Fluidyne because of how thick it is. Explains the aftermarket airbox as the OE won't fit then. Your fan is likely OE. Never heard of any other being put in.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's very little clearance between intake and hood. I think I measured 1/2 inch once.

I just checked the clearance between the TB flange and the hood yesterday, concerned NOS plates behind the TBs might move the TBs forward and end up having them gouging into the hood.. the hood clearance directly above the TB flange seemed to be at least 3/4 inch, probably more.

The *** of Play-Doh I put on top of the TB flange wasn't mashed at all when I shut the hood. I didn't measure it or try it again with more clay

:crazy2:

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 6 rib belt (stock is 7), is just fine. I had to use a 6 rib belt when I put on a under size main pulley (needed a shorter belt). NONE of the parts stores or belt mfg. seemed to have a 7 rib belt in the length I needed.
The wire from your fuse panel COULD be (not necessarily) an "ignition on" wire tap, so accessories that might be added will be powered on only when ignition is on.

Later,

OP
OP
F

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 6 rib belt (stock is 7), is just fine. I had to use a 6 rib belt when I put on a under size main pulley (needed a shorter belt). NONE of the parts stores or belt mfg. seemed to have a 7 rib belt in the length I needed.
The wire from your fuse panel COULD be (not necessarily) an "ignition on" wire tap, so accessories that might be added will be powered on only when ignition is on.

Later,

Well my belt currently squeeks a little bit untill the belt gets warm. Annoys me. Either way I have to get a new belt.

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A cooler thermostat will buy you a little more time sitting in traffic before the temp creeps up. People are running usually either a 180 or 170 degree thermostat. I went with the 180 and noticed a big difference in normal operating temps.

Though, who knows maybe that has already been done to your car since you have a different radiator.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang