Need traction help

omore001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to the ¼ mile track on Wednesday and I couldn’t run a better time than 12.3 @120mph in my bone stock 06 coupe. I ran only 12 second passes that night and all of them trapping at 120 mph. I found myself spinning 1st 2nd and even some of 3rd. My best 60’ was 2.0-2.1, I need a stickier tire and I need to know what all of my options are. I don’t want to throw Hoosier slicks on my stock 19’s as I am almost certain it will break something, they also won’t last long. The Nitto Invo 345 looks like a decent tire but I haven’t seen them show an improvement over the Michelin Run-flats in E.T.’s. The Michelin PS2 has a great reputation as far as street radials go, but they are the most expensive. Kuhmo was supposed to come out with a 345 by 19” tire for the stock rear rims and I never heard of them making it. There is no tire manufacturer that makes a 345 by 19” drag radial. I have a higher trap than most of the 11 second cars that I raced, yet I can’t break 11’s. Some say that you can downgrade the rear rims to 18" and put a drag radial on that, and others say that is not an option because the smaller 18" rim on the rear won't clear both rear brake calipers. What have you guys done to cut your 60’ times on your SRT-10 vipers?

Reaction score
You can use an 18" wheel and a drag radial on the rear. You will need to relocate the parking brake to do it but there are kits for that also. CCW makes a great wheel and tire package for the Viper and can also sell the reloator kit. This should ave you in the 1.9- 1.8 range.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Depends on how cold it was, might have been so cold that even a stickier street tire wouldnt have helped much.
I recomend 25psi hot for runflats at drag strip. I was able to pull 1.8 60 fts on runflats. And I ran 11's.
Since upgrading to stickier PS2 tire, it hooks alot better during shifts and driving, but I was still only able to pull a 1.8 60 ft on them as well. The runflats **** for many other reasons, but you can run good times on them. Just work on your launch.

OP
OP
O

omore001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wasn't very cold, about 60 F. I was running the runflats at 24 psi. Mike, you had a nice 60 ft on the runflats, did you do that stock or with your current power? I am considering the PS2's more now unless someone can show me an improvement over the PS2's with another tire. I wouldn't mind buying a seperate set of rims and throwing some Hoosiers on it for 1/4 and autocrossing. I am just scared of breaking something with such a sticky tire and stock suspension. Any SRT-10s running a sticky tire stock or mostly stock? What needs to be done to the suspension to handle a 19" Hoosier slick? I know there was someone one the forums who had the autocross hoosier slicks (A. compound I think) on their SRT-10, but that person was spraying and I'm not sure if he had any suspension work done or how it's holding out.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wasn't very cold, about 60 F. I was running the runflats at 24 psi. Mike, you had a nice 60 ft on the runflats, did you do that stock or with your current power? I am considering the PS2's more now unless someone can show me an improvement over the PS2's with another tire. I wouldn't mind buying a seperate set of rims and throwing some Hoosiers on it for 1/4 and autocrossing. I am just scared of breaking something with such a sticky tire and stock suspension. Any SRT-10s running a sticky tire stock or mostly stock? What needs to be done to the suspension to handle a 19" Hoosier slick? I know there was someone one the forums who had the autocross hoosier slicks (A. compound I think) on their SRT-10, but that person was spraying and I'm not sure if he had any suspension work done or how it's holding out.

That was with just corsa , not at current power. I have not ben back to track since adding headers, pulley and throttle bocdy, and it was probably mid 60's that day.
I think overall for every situation, you would be very happy with the PS2's.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You have lots of 1st-step options, all made of rubber:

BFG Drags on SSR super-light wheels;
19" Hoosiers rear for drags only;
PS2s all around....

OP
OP
O

omore001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When will the sport cups be available johnk? Arethese more like a drag radial?

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was with just corsa , not at current power. I have not ben back to track since adding headers, pulley and throttle bocdy, and it was probably mid 60's that day.
I think overall for every situation, you would be very happy with the PS2's.
Mike, is your car a Paxton car? I heard you mention pulleys..

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the drag strip for the first time, be sure your tires are at 29 lbs cold.

Drive around the water box and just do a light burnout to scuff your tires and clean off any pebbles.

Launch just slightly above idle, and let the engines torque get you going.

Do not slam 2nd gear. Concentrate on putting the power down smoothly so the shock will not break them loose and get them spinning.

With each shift concentrate on keeping your steering wheel straight. Do not flinch your wheel with each shift.

Try to determine if the track has been prepped with VHT traction enhancer. If not, or if the track is cold, tire spin will be more of an issue.

A stock Viper with well inflated tires, prepped track and not too cold should not spin un controlled if your launch softly.

Still 12.3 is not too shabby, and what is about normally seen at Viper events.

Do not get too upset when you cannot match the best times posted on this board.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mike, is your car a Paxton car? I heard you mention pulleys..

No, still N/A. I had recently added headers and a smaller/lighter underdrive pulley,that I bought from DC Performance. Feels pretty strong, but still not enough power.:drive:

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
At the drag strip for the first time, be sure your tires are at 29 lbs cold.

Drive around the water box and just do a light burnout to scuff your tires and clean off any pebbles.

Launch just slightly above idle, and let the engines torque get you going.

Do not slam 2nd gear. Concentrate on putting the power down smoothly so the shock will not break them loose and get them spinning.

With each shift concentrate on keeping your steering wheel straight. Do not flinch your wheel with each shift.

Try to determine if the track has been prepped with VHT traction enhancer. If not, or if the track is cold, tire spin will be more of an issue.

A stock Viper with well inflated tires, prepped track and not too cold should not spin un controlled if your launch softly.

Still 12.3 is not too shabby, and what is about normally seen at Viper events.

Do not get too upset when you cannot match the best times posted on this board.

Most will tell you 25 psi HOT. I didnt start running 11's until I came around after 2 runs in a row and some of the drag regulars lowerd my tire pressure to 25 psi. Then that run I hit a 11.8 ,follwed by some 11.7's

29 psi cold is what you should be running around on the street with the runflats.

OP
OP
O

omore001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike, thanks for the recommendation on tire pressure for street and track, I will try the launch technique of launching right above idle as well. I would like to know in full detail what needs to be changed/upgraded in the suspension and drivetrain to safely run a Hoosier or stickiest possible stock rim fitting tire. I want to be able to launch hard and cut consistent 1.6-1.7 60 ft times, what do I need to do?

DEKE01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Some say that you can downgrade the rear rims to 18" and put a drag radial on that, and others say that is not an option because the smaller 18" rim on the rear won't clear both rear brake calipers. What have you guys done to cut your 60’ times on your SRT-10 vipers?

With 18" rear rims, the brakes are just fine except you'll have to remove the parking break. But you don't need a parking brake at the drag strip. ;) You can get huge traction out of BFGoodrich G-Force T/A Drag Radial 345/30ZR-18 and that is what Hennessey used in his 0 - 200 MPH test for Road & Track.

OP
OP
O

omore001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
derek, the tire you recommend is an excellent tire but its unavailability in a 19" size creates another problem for me. I live far from the track and don't like the idea of having to change tires and take out the parking when I get there. I just want to know everything that needs to be upgraded to safely run slicks on an 06 coupe.

DEKE01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
derek, the tire you recommend is an excellent tire but its unavailability in a 19" size creates another problem for me. I live far from the track and don't like the idea of having to change tires and take out the parking when I get there. I just want to know everything that needs to be upgraded to safely run slicks on an 06 coupe.

Hey, I don't blame you a bit, swapping wheels and removing the parking brake would be a huge pain. I was just giving you first hand experince that 18" wheels are possible, but not practical.

For now, I live with the 18" wheels and no parking brake and it is a bit of a pain. I take chocks with me everywhere.

Sorry, I can't help you with 19" recommendations.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I dont think there is a slick in our size for 19". So you have to do the 18" upgrade. Otherwise get a sticky 19" street tire that hooks better then runflats. Then you can drive on them, straight to the track.

If you run slicks, you will break half shafts and rear ends on these cars from what ive read, unless you beef up the rear end parts.

OP
OP
O

omore001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike, I don't think there is a slick for 19" but they do have the Hoosier A and R compound which I think will hook a lot better than any other 19" currently offered. I just wonder if that tire is too much for the stock suspension. I don't think changing just tires at the track would be a problem.

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like MikeR and others have said, for sure half shafts. You may also want to consider upgrading Differential, Qualife makes a good one.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Lots to talk about here:

1 - Unitrax makes upgraded CV half shaft cages. This is the weak point in the SRT half shafts.

2 - E-brake relocation kit from Dave's Viper parts is only $150 and an easy install. E-brake works perfectly and allows you to run 18's.

3 - Quaife is a great mod, won't break like stock and will give you better control of the car when launching / accelerating hard.

4 - Motons will also help with traction if properly adjusted and with proper spring rates.

5 - As for tires, hard to beat the Kumho Ecsta V-700's for the rear. Very sticky tires that warm up fairly quickly and allow you to drive to the track. Other tires include the Nitto Drag radial and BFG drag radial (probably the best for the drags). These are all 18's and you can drive to the track with these too. I've heard good things about the Hoosier A series but have not tried them.

Be careful at launch, i.e. don't try to lauch at too high an rpm, watch your shift points and don't power shift, you'll only spin and loose time.

Good luck,

Dan

622r109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lots to talk about here:

1 - Unitrax makes upgraded CV half shaft cages. This is the weak point in the SRT half shafts.

2 - E-brake relocation kit from Dave's Viper parts is only $150 and an easy install. E-brake works perfectly and allows you to run 18's.

3 - Quaife is a great mod, won't break like stock and will give you better control of the car when launching / accelerating hard.

4 - Motons will also help with traction if properly adjusted and with proper spring rates.

5 - As for tires, hard to beat the Kumho Ecsta V-700's for the rear. Very sticky tires that warm up fairly quickly and allow you to drive to the track. Other tires include the Nitto Drag radial and BFG drag radial (probably the best for the drags). These are all 18's and you can drive to the track with these too. I've heard good things about the Hoosier A series but have not tried them.

Be careful at launch, i.e. don't try to lauch at too high an rpm, watch your shift points and don't power shift, you'll only spin and loose time.

Good luck,

Dan
i run 19 inch hoosiers w/nos and propane, car hooks great and im not worried about half shafts until i add 2nd stage nos, half shafts are strong. and i dont care about longivety of hoosiers, get the As

DEKE01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Lots to talk about here:

Good luck,

Dan

GREAT INFO! I've got BFG drag radials and no E-brake installed. For $150, it's a no brainer. I was going to buy new rear wheels and tires. Yee haaa. Thanks:2tu:

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HELP....

I took my stock 2008 SRT-10 Coupe to Montgomery Motorsports Park this psst friday night for the first time ever to race it to see what it would do. I left very dissapointed. The tires never spun, it wheel hopped so bad I thought for sure something was going to break and when I grabbed second gear and third gear it wheel hopped really bad again. I was afraid to race it anymore because we drove it from Pensacola, Florida went down the track and drove home the next morning. Very unhappy...
My 60' was 2.062
1/8 was 8.003
1/4 was 12.170
MPH was 122.61
I had 29 lbs in the factory rear tires, the track was very heavly prepped because there were some real race cars there and then there I was to embarrass the name of VIPER by running so slow. Anyone please tell me why the tremendous wheelhop. How to fix it and not break the factory rear and still wonder what my bone stock 600 h.p Viper should have really ran so as not to embarrass our VIPERs in the future..Thanks for any feedback.:dunno::mad:

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's really not all that bad for a "first time". You probably could've dropped the tire pressure down to 23-25 psi. That might have helped some. And yes, wheel hop is bad.

05CopperHD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HELP....

I took my stock 2008 SRT-10 Coupe to Montgomery Motorsports Park this psst friday night for the first time ever to race it to see what it would do. I left very dissapointed. The tires never spun, it wheel hopped so bad I thought for sure something was going to break and when I grabbed second gear and third gear it wheel hopped really bad again. I was afraid to race it anymore because we drove it from Pensacola, Florida went down the track and drove home the next morning. Very unhappy...
My 60' was 2.062
1/8 was 8.003
1/4 was 12.170
MPH was 122.61
I had 29 lbs in the factory rear tires, the track was very heavly prepped because there were some real race cars there and then there I was to embarrass the name of VIPER by running so slow. Anyone please tell me why the tremendous wheelhop. How to fix it and not break the factory rear and still wonder what my bone stock 600 h.p Viper should have really ran so as not to embarrass our VIPERs in the future..Thanks for any feedback.:dunno::mad:

RoysViper,

I live in Navarre and thought I saw your 08 Viper at the Mary Esther Dodge dealership awhile back when I was talking to Dave Batt (Viper Tech). Anyway, those times are not that bad for the first time--IMHO. I've only ran at the "Holt" 1/8 mile and pulled what I thought was a disappointing:
60' - 1.96
1/8 - 7.95
MPH - 98

But I have a 688rwhp/621tq Paxton S/C, Corsa, PS2s, 3:55 gears, KW Coilover and springs and Aluminum flywheel modded 05 Copperhead. My problem was spinning thru 3rd gear...not wheel hop. I hoped I could've done better--maybe with practice--so I chalk up my disappointing times to driver inexperience. I believe if you can prevent your wheel hop and get more runs under your belt you can better your times. As far as WHY the frequent wheel hop that's out of my expertise. PM me sometimes if you want to cruise or go to Holt drag strip.

Eric

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
622r109,

"i run 19 inch hoosiers w/nos and propane, car hooks great and im not worried about half shafts until i add 2nd stage nos, half shafts are strong. and i dont care about longivety of hoosiers, get the As"

If you keep running your car that way, your half shafts will explode. Hopefully, you are trailering your car to the track.

Dan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang