Never titled 1992 Vipers $200K

Viper #53

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"To Jon's point some sold for even more. Not sure what the final sale price, but if you look in the front of Maurice Liang's Viper Buyers Guide there is a picture of a 92 window sticker listed for $250k'!"

The Viper in Maurice's book is my 1992 Viper. VIN #53. I purchased it in 1994 and have loved it ever since. Every time I contemplate selling it I take it out for a drive and decide to keep it. I've had great cars over the years but none have been universally appreciate from people of all walks of life. I got thumbs up when I first bought it and still do. I've gotten other digits when I drove my Ferrari or even my mid 1980s Aston Martin.

JET

viper_itch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This reminds me of a Jay Leno article I read a few years back about what cars to collect for future value...

Ironically, I had an Insight.

Jay Leno Predicts Future Collectible and Classic Cars - Popular Mechanics

"There are plenty of guys who bought the original Dodge Viper as an investment. When that car first came out in 1992, it produced 400 hp, an incredible level of power for that time. People thought, "That's it. They'll never make a car more powerful. I'll buy one and stick it in my garage." Now, every day people call me: "Hey, I've got a '92 Viper with 800 miles." Sorry, I'm not interested. "Three hundred miles?" Nope. You didn't buy it to own it."

"It's harder to predict the ones you don't necessarily remember off the top of your head--like the first-generation Honda Insight. Only about 18,000 were sold worldwide. But look at them now and you think, wow, it's a two-seater, it gets up to 70 mpg, it's got an interesting shape and it's very aerodynamic. Any car that was ahead of its time, or any car that had an interesting flaw--that's what collectors want."