New 1/4 mile record for Chi-Town!

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Either the track is downhill, or the shut down area is uphill...Something's weird :eek:

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the SVS car beat the recetnly set record with the Heffner car? What does the SVS car have in it? Is it capable of being a daily driver or is it a full blown track car?

The record set by Heffner was for a supercharged Viper--so his record still stands. There have been a number of TT cars in the 9's as I understand. Also, the SVS car was running an automatic transmission. I think the only previous record for a TT running an automatic transmission was set by Hennesse y.

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Either the track is downhill, or the shut down area is uphill...Something's weird :eek:
I was wondering the same thing??? I dont get it :confused:

tommygun

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TO HOLD TYTE, YOU DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THE TOOFAST LIMITER BEING INSTALLED IN YOUR CAR, WITH ALL THE EXTRA WEIGHT FROM THE STEREO EQUIPMENT, YOU ARE ALREADY HANDICAPPED. WITH OUT ALL OF THAT STUFF WE MIGHT ALREADY HAVE TH CAR READY FOR TOOFAST TO WELD UP.

tommygun

Enthusiast
Reaction score
REGARDING THE F150 LIGHTENING ON STREET TIRES; THE ONLY QUESTION IS: WERE YOU ABLE TO KEEP THE TRUCK OUT OF THE DITCH ON THE WAY HOME. YOU DON'T SEEM TO HAVE A PROBLEM ON THE TRACK, ITS ON THE STREET THAT YOUR TROUBLES AWAIT SPEEDY.

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's a downhill track that is guaranteed to knock of a full second off your ET. One of the best mods you can do to your car is race there. ;) HA!

SVS Turbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to all you guys for posting the congrats :2tu:

Sorry about not posting sooner been driving guys around town in the Stryker. The 2 speed is actually very cool to drive on the street, especially nailing it in 2nd by the Lamborghini dealership(always like to say hi to our neihbors).

Well I guess I broke my cherry at the dragstrip and MAN do I want MORE.

Not having much expierience at the 1/4, I was nervous about the cold weather and traction. With 37 degree track temps all I could think about was ice skating. It seemed to hold well but I'm not sure what 30 more degrees might do to help the traction. We'll see.

Being a novice I didn't use the line lock for my first couple of runs (I just held the brakes and tried to spin the tires in the bleach box) and pulled a couple mid 10's. A good friend asked "why are your tires locking up when your in the box, are you using the brakes?" "You know you have a line lock, dont you?" :smirk: I said yes but I don't need it, do I? He said "You are not evenly heating and cleaning the tires, just use it this next run" Well the next run I ran the 9.416 @ 147.50 and then a 9.5 and a 9.6 as the temps dropped.

I think the left side was slower as many guys had broke on that side of the track. I ran the 9.416 on the right side. I truly believe if I would have used the line lock from the start, I would have pulled consistent low 9's.

The Stryker is totally streetable and you could drive it all day long. I wanted to drive it to Byron (about a 1 hour+ drive)and drive it home. The decision was made(not mine) to just trailer it. Oh well, I know I could have done it with no problems whatsoever. This will be saved for another post. :D

I really dig the support from everyone. It's a team effort. It's really cool having a group of people that believe in you, support you, give you knowledgeable advice and in the end you are able to pull off something great that everybody can feel they are part of. :cool:

I'm really tired of the fuel pump whining in the background. It is solid mounted to the frame and will be changed immediately. The Stryker is not a race only Viper, it's our testing R+D Viper. Imagine that whining sound gone and you can tell how quiet the Stryker will be. The ultimate sleeper.

Some stats on the Stryker at this point.

3650 pounds dry weight
3925 w/ driver and fuel load
Same engine we had at the Nebraska 1 mile shootout but set at 10psi
Hoosier DOT street slicks
2 speed auto trans

In car video SVS Stryker TT Dragracing

You must be registered for see images

Hey Paolo sorry I missed when you came over to say congrats. I was changing out of the race garb in the van. Thanks.

I think we will be hanging out in the drag race world for a while now. :headbang:

Jr. :usa: :usa: :usa:

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A 2 speed automatic? Interesting. Is that normal in Drag racing? How does a 2 speed work on the streets? In the video, you can hardly tell the RPM's are climbing.

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jr., Congratulations on the nines. I am sure that car is only going to go faster.

You cannot believe how excited I was jumping you by what seemed to be a lot until I saw the timeslip and saw I left almost a half a second sooner than you did. You did the right thing to get the right launch with the new tranny.

Obviously turbos make the ultimate power! I will soon be getting the Heffner twin turbo setup and should be in a position to give you a little better of a challenge! Supercharger vs turbo is no fair when you are driving the supercharged car! I am sure you did not mind driving the turbo to say the least!

I am sure I will see you at the next Viper meeting! Congrats again!

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A 2 speed automatic? Interesting. Is that normal in Drag racing? How does a 2 speed work on the streets? In the video, you can hardly tell the RPM's are climbing.

The powerglide has been a popular drag box for lighter cars for many years because they can be made very strong and work well. Personally I feel the Viper is too heavy for a glide - but the Venom TT has run 8's on one, and SVS has just cut a sub mid 9 - so they obviously aren't too bad... grin

The 8 sec. TT 427 street Vette ran a 4 speed tricked out auto. I think a race modified 727 3 speed would be the Mopar ticket for the Viper V10. The torque of the TT V10 does not need the 4 speed - and it would be problimatic to get a 4 speed auto to handle the 1000+hp. A decent race 727 can handle 1300hp if you know where to go, but they won't last forever. That lower first gear and an extra gear between first and 1:1 would shave a little ET IMHO. They do weigh more however and **** more power than a glide, but I 'm confident they'd be quicker.

A race 904 will go quicker still - but will require constant rebuilding.

Whatever trans - the converter is the single biggest factor - there's several tenths in getting the right converter.

As for street driving - a glide can work fine - but it won't exactly be a hit on a road circuit :)

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score

3650 pounds dry weight
2 speed auto trans

Wow why is that car so damn heavy, and how much hp are you making with 10lbs of boost?? Congrats on the times that is moving. Hey once you put the auto in the car just point and shoot, nothing to it Jr.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bring...that...37 degree.....air.....down......here.....!daaaayuuuuuuuuum. Feels like a shot of Nitrous doesn't it Paolo?

96 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats to SVS and Jr. That auto sure shifts quicker than my stock 6-speed. Cool in-car video--ahhh, nothing like the smell of burning rubber coming out of the vents. :2tu: :headbang:

HOLD TYTE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom,, yeah yeah,, Maybe I should remove all that stuff,, but I think it helps my launches!! I hope to see the car soon.. just in time for the snow to fly..

ronviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys, we must remember that with a two speed trans HENNNESSSEEYY is still the quickest and fastest ttviper out there. SVS for the first time out did better than HENNNESSSEEEY did, hopefully soon they will faceoff to see who is top dog.

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jh uses Nos thought, I think Svsi has fastest non bottle fed viper. Would love to see both of them duke it out with the turbos only :D

SVS Turbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

3650 pounds dry weight
2 speed auto trans

Wow why is that car so damn heavy, and how much hp are you making with 10lbs of boost?? Congrats on the times that is moving. Hey once you put the auto in the car just point and shoot, nothing to it Jr.

When Sapphire seen us on Butterfield road I was driving over to the dyno. We made about 6 pulls and could'nt get a accurate reading. After the first couple pulls I realized the tires were spinning off the drums. I went back to the shop and picked up 1200lbs of weight to place in the rear hatch. We also strapped the parachute bar to the dyno itself. We made some pulls and still didnt get any thing substantial. My personnal estimates are (don't take this for fact as I don't have anything to back it up with yet) 950-975rwhp and 1100-1200rwftlbs.

Moundir - We have the same suspension and alignment set-up that we had when we went to the sandhills 1 mile shootout. The car weighs the extra 200 lbs because of safety built into it for the salt flats. Cage/Parachute and weight support tubing/All safety requirements and my fat ass. :headbang:

Jr.

ronviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Moundir i don't know whether why used the NOS or not therefore i wouldn't comment on that. I am sure lots of the Texas boys can shed light on this subject or maybe John himself.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The powerglide has been a popular drag box for lighter cars for many years because they can be made very strong and work well. Personally I feel the Viper is too heavy for a glide - but the Venom TT has run 8's on one, and SVS has just cut a sub mid 9 - so they obviously aren't too bad... grin

The 8 sec. TT 427 street Vette ran a 4 speed tricked out auto. I think a race modified 727 3 speed would be the Mopar ticket for the Viper V10. The torque of the TT V10 does not need the 4 speed - and it would be problimatic to get a 4 speed auto to handle the 1000+hp. A decent race 727 can handle 1300hp if you know where to go, but they won't last forever. That lower first gear and an extra gear between first and 1:1 would shave a little ET IMHO. They do weigh more however and **** more power than a glide, but I 'm confident they'd be quicker.

A race 904 will go quicker still - but will require constant rebuilding.

Whatever trans - the converter is the single biggest factor - there's several tenths in getting the right converter.

As for street driving - a glide can work fine - but it won't exactly be a hit on a road circuit :)

Just for reference and ..something for those of us without Powerglides to shoot at:

Ronnie Sox, of the former Sox and Martin ProStock team is so good with a 4 spd, that back in 1973 when most Pro Stock teams were switching to Lenco transmissions, he lost .04sec when he tried one in his car..

.. Sox, now 64yo, currently drives Bob Reed's four-speed '68 Barracuda that is painted in traditional Sox and Martin colors. "We run it mostly in Chrysler nostalgia shows, and it has gone a best of 8.84, 153 mph... "

practice, practice, practice

:usa:

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SVS and Paolo Getting the Job DONE!

Nice! a 1.5 sec in the 60'?!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Texas don't stand a Chance.

You must be registered for see images

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just for reference and ..something for those of us without Powerglides to shoot at:

Ronnie Sox, of the former Sox and Martin ProStock team is so good with a 4 spd, that back in 1973 when most Pro Stock teams were switching to Lenco transmissions, he lost .04sec when he tried one in his car..

.. Sox, now 64yo, currently drives Bob Reed's four-speed '68 Barracuda that is painted in traditional Sox and Martin colors. "We run it mostly in Chrysler nostalgia shows, and it has gone a best of 8.84, 153 mph... "

practice, practice, practice

:usa:

That's right - he is one mean driver on a stick shift - those old 4 speeds were no space age pieces either.

The 3000lb SS/AA record is now at 8.64 seconds at 153mph by David Barton (Ray Barton's son) - that is with a tricked 3 speed auto - I assume a 727 but could be a 904 - haven't asked Ray. Trap speed is same as the stick shift - converters are pretty efficient now eh? If you know where to go ;-)

BTW - 8.64 sec car makes around 840hp at engine on twin 4bbl carbs. Pretty efficient eh? 60 footer is 1.1. Not bad for a super stocker.

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Moundir i don't know whether why used the NOS or not therefore i wouldn't comment on that. I am sure lots of the Texas boys can shed light on this subject or maybe John himself.
I do Jh has said it himself ;) Jr. thanx for answering my questions, you are really being hurt with all the added wieght. Gotta go on a diet, and run more boost, should get into the eights easy with a few more lbs :headbang:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cerevo