New board member and new Viper owner...

HHI VIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
:2tu:Just want to say hello and I have a question. I have a 2001 Sapphire Blue over black and was wondering how many were produced in that color option? Have owned Vettes, Porsches, TT RX7's but this car has a "giggle factor" I get every time I drive it! I love it and I look forward to learning about this car on the board! Thanks all! :)

Stephen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi HHI, first welcome to the club, as for your question I am assuming that your viper is a GTS so : - 216 Sapphire blue made in 2001 (161 with black interiors)
- Of the 216, 86 came with painted silver stripes

P.S: All this info and much more, can be found in the Viper registry on the home VCA page...

Stephen:2tu:

XXX BLK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HHI, welcome aboard and CONGRATS on your car. What part of SC I'm from Spartanburg and drive my viper down every chance I get. Adrian

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Welcome! Thats a beautiful color combo you got there, one of the best colors ever! Take it to a big parking lot with no poles, and learn to spin it around, gather it up, etc, before you "get jiggy with it" on the "track". Too many stories of new owners wadding their up within a few days or couple months of ownership. Search the forum for pointers on use and maintenance. Glad you could make it!

Here's mine, (before lowering, and SSR rims)-
Balboa_Car_Show-13.jpg

764IM000620.jpg

driveway_shot_right.JPG

1st_day_at_WillowSprings.jpg

DSC00196_copy.jpg

764IM000550x.JPG

DSC00283.JPG

764IM000613.jpg

driveway_shot.JPG

driveway_shot2.JPG

hope I'm not showing off here, why don't everybody post your saphire photos, so I don't feel so goofy?

Last edited:

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats, nice color. One of the best IMHO. :2tu:

Post some pics, I would love to see it.

Nice pics Vic. Any after lowering and wheels pics?

Here are a few of mine.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
H

HHI VIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi HHI, first welcome to the club, as for your question I am assuming that your viper is a GTS so : - 216 Sapphire blue made in 2001 (161 with black interiors)
- Of the 216, 86 came with painted silver stripes

P.S: All this info and much more, can be found in the Viper registry on the home VCA page...

Stephen:2tu:
:DSorry for incomplete info I have an RT/10.

tbsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome and congratulations! Nice pics Agent and Vic. Let's see some pics of the RT/10!

OP
OP
H

HHI VIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Welcome! Thats a beautiful color combo you got there, one of the best colors ever! Take it to a big parking lot with no poles, and learn to spin it around, gather it up, etc, before you "get jiggy with it" on the "track". Too many stories of new owners wadding their up within a few days or couple months of ownership. Search the forum for pointers on use and maintenance. Glad you could make it!

Here's mine, (before lowering, and SSR rims)-
Balboa_Car_Show-13.jpg

764IM000620.jpg

driveway_shot_right.JPG

1st_day_at_WillowSprings.jpg

DSC00196_copy.jpg

764IM000550x.JPG

DSC00283.JPG

764IM000613.jpg

driveway_shot.JPG

driveway_shot2.JPG

hope I'm not showing off here, why don't everybody post your saphire photos, so I don't feel so goofy?
:drive:I almost did "spin around a couple poles" but not on purpose!!! A buddy of mine has a "07" Vette and we were on an open three lane road at 8AM after Starbucks at a light making a U turn and he had been bugging me to hit it one time so when he took off I took off behind him and I hit second and went sideways!!! The funny thing was is that I was catching him running sideways!!!:rolaugh: I really need to respect the power of this car! After that I had to go home and clean out my "undies" ! LOL

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I almost did "spin around a couple poles" but not on purpose!!! A buddy of mine has a "07" Vette and we were on an open three lane road at 8AM after Starbucks at a light making a U turn and he had been bugging me to hit it one time so when he took off I took off behind him and I hit second and went sideways!!! The funny thing was is that I was catching him running sideways!!!:rolaugh: I really need to respect the power of this car! After that I had to go home and clean out my "undies" ! LOL
At Viper Days, they said something like 43% of Vipers are totlled within the first three months of ownership. There was a recent story of one guy, who bought a brand new one, headed for home, and totalled it, less than 200 feet from the dealer! Take your time! Go to Viper Days at least a couple of times, to get that Viper-specific instruction. Its not exactly the cheapest way to get seat time, but it is the best, 'specially for new guys.

Check your power steering cap often, if it gets loose, the p/s fluid will get on the exhaust manifold, and a Viper can be reduced to a big charred pile of plastic in a few minutes. Check it often. Also, the p/s cap vent is best routed downward, to a catch can, say, mounted on the aluminum cross member in front of the engine. This can is also uselful for receiving the valve cover vents, which now route into your airbox. Under heavy braking, oil can slosh into your intake, making big blue clouds of smoke, and even knocking. Change p/s fluid to Redline, which has a higher boiling point. Brake fluid should flush and replace with Dot4, like Motul 600. Don't move the front wheels left or right, with the hood cracked open, you can damage the hood. Only time to turn the wheel is with the hood all the way up, or all the way down. If you track it, you will want "trap doors" in your oil pan, modified windage tray, maybe an Accusump, so you don't **** air into the oil pump under heavy G-loads. All this stuff has instuctions and details, which will pop up with a search. This is just to get you started, give you an idea what to look for. There are many more ideas, but I'm not that sharp... :D

Have you installed
1. "smooth tubes" between the intake plenum, and the filter air box?
2. K+N filters?
3. Removed the water baffle in the air box? (good for .0005 Hp)
4. Headers are a good next step, then
5. Heads, cam, roller rockers,
6. High flow cats, (if you have to keep 'em)(But some people say the exhaust really stinks w/o them)

Some people go the forced route, like a Paxton, or Roe blower. Thats probably the best/most bang for the buck, but you gotta get it tuned just-so, add water/**** to control detonation, especially if you have cast pistons. More power means bigger brakes, better cooling, bigger half shafts, etc, etc. How much do you want to spend?

AgentF1, I'll try to get a pic up today, of the SSRs. I didn't want to show them yet, because the center caps are on backorder, probably on a slow boat from China. They removed 49 pounds of rotational inertia from the car, I know cuz I weighed the old rims and tires before, and after switching to SSRs, (same tires). Not only did I lose mass, but rotating mass at that, and also, unsprung weight. Made a bigger difference than I expected. Feels more like a cat now, light and sure-footed. The tripple-adjustable Penske shocks and Hypercoil springs may have helped this effect along, increasing the benefits of the lighter unsprung mass. IDK!

Last edited:

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Vic.....not trying to step on your post, but think it through. Do you really believe that 43% of Vipers are totaled within the first 90 days of ownership? Not a reality statement. There are many that have wrecked their cars early in the life of the car due to the non respect of torque, but not 43% totaled. I agree that instruction should be given before a person lets it all hang out with their car. I recommend the SRT experience for a starter. It's really informative and a LOT of fun. Once you have driven a while, then a track school would be even more beneficial. We welcome all new members, and hope they have as great of a time with their car as we have with ours!

OP
OP
H

HHI VIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
:)
At Viper Days, they said something like 43% of Vipers are totlled within the first three months of ownership. There was a recent story of one guy, who bought a brand new one, headed for home, and totalled it, less than 200 feet from the dealer! Take your time! Go to Viper Days at least a couple of times, to get that Viper-specific instruction. Its not exactly the cheapest way to get seat time, but it is the best, 'specially for new guys.

Check your power steering cap often, if it gets loose, the p/s fluid will get on the exhaust manifold, and a Viper can be reduced to a big charred pile of plastic in a few minutes. Check it often. Also, the p/s cap vent is best routed downward, to a catch can, say, mounted on the aluminum cross member in front of the engine. This can is also uselful for receiving the valve cover vents, which now route into your airbox. Under heavy braking, oil can slosh into your intake, making big blue clouds of smoke, and even knocking. Change p/s fluid to Redline, which has a higher boiling point. Brake fluid should flush and replace with Dot4, like Motul 600. Don't move the front wheels left or right, with the hood cracked open, you can damage the hood. Only time to turn the wheel is with the hood all the way up, or all the way down. If you track it, you will want "trap doors" in your oil pan, modified windage tray, maybe an Accusump, so you don't **** air into the oil pump under heavy G-loads. All this stuff has instuctions and details, which will pop up with a search. This is just to get you started, give you an idea what to look for. There are many more ideas, but I'm not that sharp... :D

Have you installed
1. "smooth tubes" between the intake plenum, and the filter air box?
2. K+N filters?
3. Removed the water baffle in the air box? (good for .0005 Hp)
4. Headers are a good next step, then
5. Heads, cam, roller rockers,
6. High flow cats, (if you have to keep 'em)(But some people say the exhaust really stinks w/o them)

Some people go the forced route, like a Paxton, or Roe blower. Thats probably the best/most bang for the buck, but you gotta get it tuned just-so, add water/**** to control detonation, especially if you have cast pistons. More power means bigger brakes, better cooling, bigger half shafts, etc, etc. How much do you want to spend?

AgentF1, I'll try to get a pic up today, of the SSRs. I didn't want to show them yet, because the center caps are on backorder, probably on a slow boat from China. They removed 49 pounds of rotational inertia from the car, I know cuz I weighed the old rims and tires before, and after switching to SSRs, (same tires). Not only did I lose mass, but rotating mass at that, and also, unsprung weight. Made a bigger difference than I expected. Feels more like a cat now, light and sure-footed. The tripple-adjustable Penske shocks and Hypercoil springs may have helped this effect along, increasing the benefits of the lighter unsprung mass. IDK!
:headbang:Thanks for all the input especially on the mods and precautions on existing items! Don't know if I will want to put that much GIDDY UP to her but if it is like all the others I have had, I have put some ponies to them at one point! Would really like to see for now an extra 50-100HP so I guess I will have to research the boards to find the "beginning" formulas. Any input is greatly appreciated!! Had a nice Supercharged BMW that pushed about 360HP but nothing like this car. I am sure that after I get used to the power I will want to put some power to this one as well. I definetly have met my match and look forward to having fun (in the right places) with this car!!! Thanks again and drive safe!!!!!!!!

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Vic.....not trying to step on your post, but think it through. Do you really believe that 43% of Vipers are totaled within the first 90 days of ownership? Not a reality statement. There are many that have wrecked their cars early in the life of the car due to the non respect of torque, but not 43% totaled. I agree that instruction should be given before a person lets it all hang out with their car. I recommend the SRT experience for a starter. It's really informative and a LOT of fun. Once you have driven a while, then a track school would be even more beneficial. We welcome all new members, and hope they have as great of a time with their car as we have with ours!

No, it seems extremely high. That would be like near half of all Vipers just dissapearing into junkyards. But I do remember the conversation, and other points mentioned during it as well, like the total rate for Vipers is higher than for Ferraris, etc. Maybe I shouldn't repeat things that don't seem reasonable...But that is what they said.

But I did hear once that 73.8% of statistics are made up on the spot. That sounded believable, so I'm hangin' my hat on that one. [/satire]

Last edited:

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
HHI Viper,

Cheers! Have fun with your new ride!