New Borla vs. Corsa

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know exhaust questions get beat to death around here, but I'm asking anyway. Does anyone out there have experience with the NEW Borla with 4 resonators?

What I'm after is putting on 3" cats and a cat back that will give a nice deep sound at idle, reasonable sound level at cruise with little to no resonance and a louder note when the right foot gets active. I'm told the Corsa does this. Is this how the new Borla acts? Louder? Not as loud as Corsa? Any info on HP increase differences between the two?

Thanks for any comments and for suffering through yet more exhaust questions.

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i'm getting ready for a new exhaust as well, i hear borla is
lounder, come on guys we need some help, lol tom :rolleyes:

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its simple,

Borla means more power, especialy in 99 and older.

Corsa means more sound, same for all years.

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every Borla I've heard is louder than every Corsa I have heard. My setup (listed in signature) is unholy loud at RPM but very tolerable at cruise in sixth gear. Corsa sounds too raspy to my ear. :usa:

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had both Corsa and Borla on my Vipers at the same time. I just modified the hell out of my Corsa set up as it was WAAAY too loud without cats. Even with Cats, it was too loud. The Borlas I can handle and have left as is.

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i prefer the sound of B&B. at idle the car sounds like a cigarette race boat with that gargle sound. at full throttle sounds like a stock race car and at highway speeds at 2k rps you can barely hear it with the x pipe. I heard the B&B, Corsa and Belanger and Borla and personally think the B&B sounds the best. Borla sounds the closest to B&B.

Joe Dozzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just put the new 4 muffler Borla system on my 98 GTS. Also added an equalizer just upstream of the rear mufflers.

I think it sounds great. Throaty, not too raspy. No drone.

Much quieter than the side exhaust I replaced.

Sorry, I do not have any dyno numbers... Can't compare with Corsa either...

OP
OP
R

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just put the new 4 muffler Borla system on my 98 GTS. Also added an equalizer just upstream of the rear mufflers.

I think it sounds great. Throaty, not too raspy. No drone.

Much quieter than the side exhaust I replaced.

Sorry, I do not have any dyno numbers... Can't compare with Corsa either...

Joe, This is the feedback I'm looking for. There are a lot of Borla systems out there with TWO resonators (same as B&B). The NEW Borla has four like Corsa. For some reason, I'd prefer to buy Borla if it will perform like I want. You say no drone at cruise speeds? Say 40-70 mph. I know it's hard to describe, but how loud is your setup when you get on it? One more question, do you have high flow cats or headers?

Thanks for the insight. I want to buy it and install it once. If I make the wrong decision, I will remove it and try something else. I'd prefer not to waist the time or $$$ to do that.

OP
OP
R

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Corsa 3" on mine, replaced a Borla system. The Corsa blows the Borla away.

Greg,

Ok, I'll take the bait, in what way? Sound? Performance? What? Also, are you referencing the two resonator Borla?

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the new Borla on my 2001 and it sounds really nice. Nice low ruble at idle....and nice a loud when you hit the gas pedal. I also have high flow cats so that helps too.

I like the tips of the corsa but for 775.00 shipped compared to almost twice that much for the corsa....I went with the Borla.

Tac..you are referencing the old borla system or the new one compared to corsa?

TacDoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
rcdice. Sound. I have never dynoed, but the car seems to rev more freely. The Corsa really thunders under throttle and I love the burble when lifting.

OP
OP
R

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greg (TacDoc), Good info. I'm told the Corsa DOES eliminate the drone at cruise, something I'm totally into doing. BTW, I notice a 3:55 gear in your sig line. Like those? I haven't even taken delivery of my coming 01 yet but want to get a few things done asap. The car I'm buying is bone stock. I plan on doing tubes, filters, cats, cat back, 3:55's asap after acquiring the car. From there I'll let it all soak in for awhile and see what's next. Probably wheels. Don't plan on doing a SC, hence the 3:55's but I suppose you never know what surprises life will bring.

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FWIW my DLM car has Belanger headers, Corsa exhaust, a nice cam, and no nasty cats clogging up the mix. It's LOUD when I get on the gas, but just cruising around the loudest sound is the bypass from the supercharger. There's no drone at any RPM.

VIPR GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Corsa with no cats and B&B headers, great sound, droning is much milder than the old Borlas. Also, remember, you can drive up the road to the factory and they will do a complete install for you. Nothing better than letting the factory custom fit your system, and all for a $75 charge. They are just south of Cleveland.

nickdiaz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
rcdice, as you can see, it's definitely a subjective opinion. There's a big enough difference that it would likely behoove you to hear and feel it on different cars before making your decision.

GENIIGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Corsa 3" on mine, replaced a Borla system. The Corsa blows the Borla away.
:rolleyes: WOW Greg,I did the complete opposite;TOSS the Corsa and replace with the Mopar/Borla system(everyone that heard my Viper before and after prefer much better my Mopar system especially comparing both system's with RT high-flow cat's.Sure the Mopar system has a little drone but you can up shift out of it's range.For me Corsa didn't have the rumble at idle instead it was Ratty, Tinny sounding and for rumble and deceleration Mopar is hands down better sounding.Hell if I didn't want an awesome sounding, high horsepower sport's car with a little drone I would of kept my c-5 vette with cup holder's and traction control. :2tu:

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Months of Research on Exhaust and here is my final opinion and choice.

Its obvious that the sound from a Corsa and Borla is subjective to the listener. Both have there own die hard fans. Corsa is a little higher pitched and can be raspy. Some people like that. Borla has a deeper tone.

I personally was looking for a the deep loud tone WOT, a rumble at idle and no drone at cruising speed.

Many friends have Corsa and are extremely happy with it. The sound just never appealed to me. I was leaning towards the Borla and would then modify it by installing an H pipe which would help take out some of the drone. I drive many long trips.

Final choise and couldn't be happier. :2tu:
Random Tech 3inch cats and Random Tech 3 inch cat back system with X-Pipe.
Purchased at PartsRack through Jon B.
The results: Great rumble at idle. Incredible sound at WOT. No Drone at any highway speed. The X Pipe is very effective at taking out harmonic exhaust pulses so the result is some desirable bubbling sounds deceleration, an awesome even tone WOT and no cruising drone. Touch the throttle and that great sound is there again. I have to say that the tone of this system is very similar to the Borla.
The Random Tech cat back system also has nice double wall stainless four inch tips.
I have to say that Jon B is always very helpful in narrowing down exactly what I am looking for.

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks JW, One day I will take you over and listen to my friend Mikes car. Lives in your area, has 94 R/T 10 with Belanger Headers No cats 3inch pipe. Crazy loud. Goes through your chest and out of your back standing next to the car. Best sound ever when I drove through a tunnel next to him at WOT. Thought my head was going to explode.

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score
Thanks JW, One day I will take you over and listen to my friend Mikes car. Lives in your area, has 94 R/T 10 with Belanger Headers No cats 3inch pipe. Crazy loud. Goes through your chest and out of your back standing next to the car. Best sound ever when I drove through a tunnel next to him at WOT. Thought my head was going to explode.

I am very much interested in Belanger header setup, maybe next week sometime.

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think if you are a louder is better kind of a guy that the Borla might be a better choice. They are deeper and louder then the Corsa.

I went from a 2.5 inch Corsa too a 3 inch Corsa and the 3 inch is great. Quiet at cruise, no drone, yet still 'authoritative' sounding at full throttle. A little rumble at idle, but not too much, and a great burble on dcel - which is just the way I like it. I've never liked loud for sake of loud. Also, the 2.5 Corsa might be descibed as 'raspy' but not the three inch.

Jim

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score
I think if you are a louder is better kind of a guy that the Borla might be a better choice. They are deeper and louder then the Corsa.

I went from a 2.5 inch Corsa too a 3 inch Corsa and the 3 inch is great. Quiet at cruise, no drone, yet still 'authoritative' sounding at full throttle. A little rumble at idle, but not too much, and a great burble on dcel - which is just the way I like it. I've never liked loud for sake of loud. Also, the 2.5 Corsa might be descibed as 'raspy' but not the three inch.

Jim

Jim what year and car are you sporting the Corsa's on ?

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 99 GTS with the Corsa systems(s).

Another observation is that the Vipers have a higher pitched sound then a Chevy V8 for example. I was at PIR (Portland) listening to the ORECA Vipers during an ALMS race and they had an awesome tenor wail - not a big block rumble at all. The Corsa 2.5 inch had a similar (although much tamer) sound. Too me, the 3 inch Corsa system retains that unique somewhat higher pitched 'Viper' sound while adding a little bit more bass....

Jim

Joe Dozzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry it's taken me a while to get back to you...

I have Roe's high flow cats and Belanger headers. And Roe's supercharger.

The car is "louder" when I get on it, but to be honest, I'm worring more about hanging on than how loud the exhaust is! Louder, but not the "run for cover / hide the kids / annoy the neighbors" kind of loud...

OP
OP
R

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe,

Just so I'm clear on your set up and opinion. You have the NEW Borla w/ four resonators. You added an H pipe just up stream from the rear resonators. At normal driving and cruise speeds the car is not annoyingly loud and does NOT have drone (helped by the H pipe obviously). When you open it up it is louder (which is fine). The sound is more base deep and not higher pitched raspy.

Sound like your car? If that's an accurate description than my search is over. Please let us know if I've got it right.