New CAFE Rules may eliminate Chrysler (Rumor on CNN)

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is, the proposed new CAFE rules...call your congressmen and women now!

http://money.cnn.com/2007/06/28/aut...econ.fortune/index.htm?postversion=2007062907

Chrysler officially puts the cost of meeting the proposed rules at $6,700 per vehicle. Unofficially, the moneymen from Cerberus behind the private equity buyout for Chrysler are said to be threatening to walk away from the deal if the new requirements go through. That would probably doom the company.

-J

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting article.

I remember when Ford, GM, and Chrysler were the "Big 3" not the "Detroit 3."

I wonder if the American automobile industry will go the way of the steel industy, shoe industry, and electronics industy.

The American auto makers don't seem to have any answers.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<<<We are supposed to be off oil by 2020<<<

:) in the news this week - the oil reservoirs found lately will last for at least another 75 years and "they" are still searching (and finding) new oil reservoirs.

I remember, during the 1972 oil crisis and back in the 1972´s, "they" told us that OIL WILL BE OUT in 20 years...:cool:

OP
OP
Y

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<<<We are supposed to be off oil by 2020<<<

:) in the news this week - the oil reservoirs found lately will last for at least another 75 years and "they" are still searching (and finding) new oil reservoirs.

I remember, during the 1972 oil crisis and back in the 1972´s, "they" told us that OIL WILL BE OUT in 20 years...:cool:

Don't forget that coal can easily be turned into gasoline. That's 100s of years worth of supply.

And of course "Methane hydrates" (google it)

-J

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was counting on the world coming to an end in 1984 like it was supposed to. I'm still trying to recover from that uneventful disappointment.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was counting on the world coming to an end in 1984 like it was supposed to. I'm still trying to recover from that uneventful disappointment.

That 1984 thing had me going too.

Then the end of the world was supposed to be Y2K but there was a bug so now they've pushed it back to 2012.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember those days. Wasn't there an ice age coming too?

It's just a roller coaster ride.. click, click, click .. we're going up now.. it's kind of funny how the politicians cash in on the global warming news.

You must be registered for see images

I'm not a chemist, but considering this breakdown.. I guess this is what we'll be contributing to the planet one day.. oh ya, (excluding silicon from implants, etc..)..

4 elements make up ~96% of the human body
Carbon (C)
Hydrogen (H)
Oxygen (O)
Nitrogen (N)

Since I just had this revelation today thanks to you guys, I'm going to enjoy pumping fossil fuel into my Viper even more and guilt free while I can.. :drive:

:eater:

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't it the "scientists" and universities that are cashing in? 20 billion in grants aint going to the politicians.

Hey, that is a good point. I don't have the answer, it's just a useless opinion I blurted out.. I'm on vacation this week, lost a few days outdoors (and out on the boat) so far to extremely hot & humid weather, crazy thunderstorms, etc.. Thanks for acknowledging my existance, I got a little cabin fever. :waa waaa: :rolaugh:

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have to figure out a way to fuel our Vipers with 'GreenHouse Gasses'. Figure that out at 10 miles to the gallon. LOL:2tu:

CANTDRIVE55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi RT/10:

How many hominids were around in the Pleistocene Era??

Unless you are a fundamentalist and believe we were around through all epochs, your graph shows that we evolved (if you believe in evolution) and adapted while in a cool climactic era. So, the global warming effect could be detrimental to the planet as we know it (of course, not for us or even our kids kids).

I'd rather put $20 billion into research and basic science for the betterment of mankind and earth than for war. (Although my father, RIP, was head of the design team for the F16 falcon, a great aircraft. So I guess it put food on our table).

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd rather put $20 billion into research and basic science for the betterment of mankind and earth than for war.

Thanks, that's real profound. Currently, depending on one's religion, who wouldn't?

Or perhaps it was an attempt at an anti-Iraq-anti-Bush comment. Zing?

Regardless, there has been a significant amount of "mankind betterment" tech from military research and science. Probably more than has come from building rain forests in Iowa or studying the effects of termite flatulence on the ozone.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi RT/10:
I'd rather put $20 billion into research and basic science for the betterment of mankind and earth than for war. (Although my father, RIP, was head of the design team for the F16 falcon, a great aircraft. So I guess it put food on our table).

Wars are fought for the betterment of mankind didn't you know? Especially for the side that wins. Besides, aren't the treehuggers the ones panicked about overpopulation? Wars fix that... as do famine and disease. Circle of life ****. Don't make me quote Malthus...

CANTDRIVE55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey....in a "round-about" way it's true what you are saying Warfang. I guess my point is not to slam war efforts and the military, most notably our guys/gals in Iraq, but rather to support basic science/research. Chuck, where did you find those ridiculous funded research projects? :omg: I was in the field of biomedical research for 14 years, sat on biomedical ethics committees, was an ad hoc reviewer of VA research grants before going into private practice. Perhaps this is the source of my bias to support basic research/science projects with merit?

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CANTDRIVE55
I'd rather put $20 billion into research and basic science for the betterment of mankind and earth than for war.

We didn't start the fire
It was always burning
Since the world's been turning
We didn't start the fire
No we didn't light it
But we tried to fight it

Billy Joel
:usa:

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi RT/10:

How many hominids were around in the Pleistocene Era??

Unless you are a fundamentalist and believe we were around through all epochs, your graph shows that we evolved (if you believe in evolution) and adapted while in a cool climactic era. So, the global warming effect could be detrimental to the planet as we know it (of course, not for us or even our kids kids).

I definitely wouldn't know how to answer the national economy budget question or address the thinly disguised accusations, I was just observing the changes in the global climate according to that chart, a bit of fun with Chuck.

There is loyalty towards what our fathers built and fed our families, I can understand that and sorry to hear about your father, I also am a big fan of the fighter jets. My dad retired from Chrysler, my wife's dad retired from GM, they both passed away several years ago, both factory workers since the the mid 1950s. So you can only guess what vehicles are in our driveway, well you know of one. I'm beginning to annoy myself with this reply. I need to stick with the nuts & bolts Posts.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perhaps I should have emphasized "WITH MERIT"....:rolleyes:

Doc Kaler

.. regarding merit, I would be contributing to it with the bs I spew here. Reading my reply, it can look as if I was being barbed myself, I apologize if it was taken that way DK. My bad for stating the P word and defensively avoiding the R word.
Mike