New car repair questions please

Rapps

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We are new VAC members but not activated yet (have number though) have searched for "stalling" and are trying to fix. I did ask Chuck Tator in a PM these questions as well.
Briefly:
New car to us 1995 rt/10 on 9-26
Drove from N.C. to Mi. no problems
Parked it, two days later no clutch
Dealer fixed the master clutch cylinder
Drove it home from there, stalls at stops
New info:
Put DRB III on- idled fine while in garage
various RPM values all good
Gave it gas- revved it- it then "fell back" to such a low level of RPMs it was stalling.
>Is the IAC valve is accessible by pulling the IAC motor? Understand doing this will trash the gasket.
>Is cleaning this ICA valve a real option?
Believe the battery is 1 year old. But it was not a daily driver for the previous owner.
Will check the battery resting volts (jump post and negative) and also volts while cranking the starter next.
>Is resetting the PCM through the DRB the same as pulling the power from the battery [in order to relearn the idle]?
The viper tech said he did not pull the cable off of the battery when he did the master clutch cylinder repair.

If you can offer any insight or help we are all ears! To date we have not driven the car, not one time :omg: for pleasure.
It's pretty lucky it's so good looking or I would have sent it packing. Ann

xlrashn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Even though the tech said he did not remove that battery cable, It sounds like you simply need to let the car relearn idle needs. Start the car and keep it running and vary the rpm a little and soon it should relearn what it needs to idle.
I would try this first and move on to other "fixes" only after giving the computer a chance to learn.

P.S. I also have a 95

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very unlikely you will trash the IAC gasket just by pulling the IAC. Based on my experience with such.

BTW, your idle and IAC may have to re-learn itself after being disconnected etc. Not exactly sure of the procedures, but starting the car and driving it are part of the cure. Damn horrible solution...

OP
OP
R

Rapps

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Quick note to follow up. The car seems to have recovered with help from Chuck who took his time to call Gary and walk him trough some steps. Also another person who was as helpful as can be, thank you to both of you. I even got to drive it too! But not for too long as we are completing a rearrange of the garage to make room and the shed was my assignment...back to work.
It was likely the IAC valve being cantankerous. They took it out swapped with another, put it back seems to be good to go now. The battery voltage readings were not out of line enough to say it is the culprit just yet.
On a humorous note, although not at the time, in the middle of all this the shifter came off in Gary's hand :curse:
That won't happen again, they installed it correctly.
Ann

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Ann...remember to PM your VCA# to the admins., get you upgraded to VCA Member of your region! Upload your avatar, and you're good to go.
TOOOO funny on the shifter coming *off* (sorry!) in Gary's HAND~~~:) (You have to know my humor~~SICKO that I am!)
~juli

OP
OP
R

Rapps

Viper Owner
Reaction score
follow up:
both master and slave cylinders have been replace, we have a clutch now, comes in handy.
Then it would act like it was going to stall when shifting in the higher gears. Gary put in a new IAC and gave it time to relearn it's idle. He tinkered with other tester results, I steered clear of the garage and drive then :leave:

Car is working well, just in time for the MVCO outing tomorrow. What a temperamental *****! :firedev:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21