New EBC greens squeal! What Gives?

fisko40

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok guys help me out here. Just installed the EBC greens followed the install and brake-in procedure to the letter and now after 400 miles they are starting to squeal. They didn't squeal when I first installed them and they only do it at slow speeds and during light braking. I have not used them hard yet thinking I may need to seat the pads some more into the rotors. Or could it be since I haven't braked hard yet that I have some glaze on them? The squeal is no way near the level of the stock pads but just enough to iritate the sh-t out me. Any help to the newbie would be appreciated.

B SNAKE 1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have EBC's green stuff & are totally quite. Did you use brake quite on them?? Get a can of CRC #5017 spray the back of the pads 3 times re-install. I have about 800 miles on my EBC's with no squeal at all.

OP
OP
F

fisko40

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Instructions made no mention of having to use anti-squeal on the back of the pads. The only thing I did do was paint the back of the pads black instead of leaving them that nasty green. Sounds like I may be taking the pads back off to put on what I should have put on in the first place. Damn!%$*&#.

Viper99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny, same thing is happening to me. Put EBC Greens on last summer and all was quiet. This summer they recently started to squeal again.

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine squeal under very light braking...THe harder you brake, the less squeal...

Did you put a scuff pattern onto the rotors (like with a 3M kit)...A non directional pattern I think they call it?

Tomer

RobHook

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just put my second set of EBC's on about a week ago. They squealed at first but a few really heavy stops got rid of it. Make sure you've had the rotors turned if they had been used with "normal" pads before. I also have mine turned only a machine shop as they know how to put the non-directional surface on. The average gas station (or even jobber shop) will not have the equipment to do this. If you've tried all these things and still have a problem they could be glazed. Take them off and take a metal file to them. Don't use sandpaper as manufacturers are starting to say that the sand or aluminum oxide can come off the paper and get embeded into the pad. Anyway, let us know how it goes.

-Rob

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Checked with my Viper tech today and he said that they will squeak if you don't have the rotors turned. Cost a little more to do it that way, but well worth it . . .

pauljkopick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I run brakeman 3 on the track & street. I love it when I pull up to a light & I squeal like a 49 farm truck thats worn pads & into rotors.Best of all is when I pull away & all they hear is headers,hi-flow cats & corsa,vvvrroooooommmmmmmm!!!!!!! :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa:

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually bought a pair of street pads and change them, because my track pads squealed so bad. What exactly will having the rotor turned do? And will it last?

2000 GTS Steel Grey :usa:
6 piston Baer claws up front, Front brakes in back, Quaife differential, GKH half shafts,
Alloy fly wheel, Short throw shifter, Polished aluminum intakes, K&N air filters,
Optima battery, Sterling silver ignition key, ACR 5 point harnesses.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bet you didn't touch the rotors.

Use the 3M Brake Resurfacing kit. It's a little 3 or 4" rubber disc for the end of a drill. There are round pads like those green pads you scrub dishes with.

It takes all the old composite off the rotors and sets them up for you to seat the EBC. I did it and have absolutely no squeaks under any circumstances or speed.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What exactly will having the rotor turned do? And will it last?

Resurfacing gets rid of all the flat spots, glazing etc. so that you have a better contact surface. It'll eventually get smooth again with wear.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: New EBC greens squeal! What Gives?

I put EBC greens on just recently with eradispeed rotors no squeaking at all.

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I recently installed EBC Greens and had no problems squeel wize, but they leave just about as much dust as stock pads.
I installed new rotors at the same time and cleaned them with brake spray before the install.
I wonder if your rotors werent as clean as they should be.
Cheers,

charmer006

Enthusiast
Reaction score

7000 miles and no squeaking with the greens..you MUST scuff the rotors and then CLEAN them...never had one squeak..

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Make sure you have the correct pads. I just purchaced a set of front EBCs that had "Viper - Fiat" listed on the label for my non-abs and they both squeak and dust. The previous (correct) set of pads gave me no problems at all AND gave much better performance.