New Hard Top

Tim Purtell

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just got my new hard top. I like it - more headroom for the helmet too! What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_5281.jpg
    IMG_5281.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_5295.jpg
    IMG_5295.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_5307.jpg
    IMG_5307.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_5283.jpg
    IMG_5283.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 135

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not too sure about the scoop on top and side splits. To be honest, since you are asking, it's not for me. I do like the hard top on verts. Thinking about getting one for mine.

Last edited:

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the verts with a hardtop, but I don't care much for this top with the scoop and side scallops. Looks too busy. Car looks good though.

Shank2117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i cant say i like it either. that roof scoop and side pillars look like something you would see on an import.

but since you said you use it for the track and if it serves a race purpose then I guess you need it.

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That looks like an Autoform top. The roof scoop was an add on. The side scallops or pillars are factory, he can't do much about that.

Looks good to me but in the end what really matters is that it's Your Viper:2tu:, build it:headbang:, mod it:headbang:, drive it:drive: and have fun:D.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same top without the scoop. It looks good and better in person. Like all aftermarket hard tops it will be noisy but I have had 2 on Vipers--V-Mania and Autoform and they were both worth it.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you get your money back?

Ahh, nothing like a wise-a$$ "enthusiast", welcome to the forums, you've started out well.

As for the top, I'm not crazy about the side windows either, but they are obviously very functional, they must really increase visibility over the soft-top. Overall, looks good to me, the silver is slick/classy, the hardtop adds nice custom look. Enjoy, bro!!

kwiksilver

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ahh, nothing like a wise-a$$ "enthusiast", welcome to the forums, you've started out well.

As for the top, I'm not crazy about the side windows either, but they are obviously very functional, they must really increase visibility over the soft-top. Overall, looks good to me, the silver is slick/classy, the hardtop adds nice custom look. Enjoy, bro!!
I don't think those are windows, only for looks. And I think you can order it without them if you want. :dunno:

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Autoform hardtop looks ok great for a track car (more headroom for helmet)so perfect for your use:2tu: I prefer the TrunkTop hardtop look myself:dunno: Get a life Dizzy:nono:

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the top! Scoop looks strange from the side but head on its sweet! I would love to see that baby in person! Im sure photos don't do it justice! :2tu: Congratulations!

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the top. If the scoop was functionable, then that would be alright :2tu:, but if it a poser add-on, loose it. Top would look cleaner with out it. But like others are saying, only person that needs to be satisfied with it is you. Remember, this is the interweb, everybodys opinion is VERY important :D :D :D

Last edited:

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this top 'approved' in some way for track use? Like for road course duty, like at Summit Point type places, versus a roll bar.

ZO6KLR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think the intake scoop is a little overstated but I would paint the silver area that separates the window from the top black. It would look a little better. From the photos it looks as though there is a body contour line you can follow, so it would be an easy fix.

Last edited:

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It does look better like that.:2tu:

I think the intake scoop is a little overstated but I would paint the silver area that separates the window from the top black. It would look a little better. From the photos it looks as though there is a body contour line you can follow, so it would be an easy fix.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Is this top 'approved' in some way for track use? Like for road course duty, like at Summit Point type places, versus a roll bar.

This is indeed the AutoForm Top. SCCA approved (required) and NARRA Approved.
Scoop is not functional NOW, and if it were, it would blow all the glass out. (think about an open scoop at 100-180 mph!!!) The scoop can be made functional to direct DUCTED air to: Helmet; Diff; rear Brakes; Trans etc

The scoop can also be manufactured reversed to exhaust cockpit air and heat, and it then ***** the windows tighter. The 'opera windows' are a styling element that can be body color, or black, or gone.

In person, it transforms the car....

OP
OP
T

Tim Purtell

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The wonderful part of forums is you get comments!!!! It is true that beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I am a bit surprised at some of the comments because I REALLY like the look of the top. I was never a huge fan of the straight tops but when I saw this top on another car in the area, I said - wow, I really like that.

The primary reason I bought it was that I track the car alot and needed the head room for my helmet. I have a 1" seat lowering kit on, but I still rub when I am in the correct driving position. I didnt want a 2" kit as I needed the seat to adjust. Ive got plenty of helmet room now. Second, I wanted the safety ratings that came with it. Some would ask ... why not buy a coupe (A couple of track friends asked this), but I bought the car used in 06 (could not afford new) and that was my option since I was looking for Gen3. I also like the Vert for weekend street use too.

That said, I have never put a high priority on cosmetic changes - nothing against them, just hasnt been a priority for me with a car that already looks great. The Scoop, while potentially functional, is cosmetic on this top.

So - thanks for the thoughts and comments. I love how it looks and get lots of people taking pictures when I am parked on the street.

We love our Vipers!!!!

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hardtop_pictures_009.JPG

hardtop_pictures_001.JPG

hardtop_pictures_006.JPG

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The AutoForm top is nice...but I chose to have Jeff Lemke make mine. The top has sort of a '70 Cuda shape to and fits the vert very well.

Click here:

SRT Hard Top

Are all hard tops for the verts SCCA approved (required) and NARRA Approved. I have seen the Lemke top but have never heard it being mentioned as being approved for track events.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Price? (dare I ask)

I'm looking into the rollbar for tracking & safety, hadn't considered a hardtop, I didn't know they were "legal" also, I need to call my local track again and ask about this option also ... although something tells me the roof is a more expensive solution.

I bet the roof scoop looks great in person, matches the hood scoop, I like that part. It looks like the scoop opens to the back, wouldn't that direct air flow down the back window, helping to keep it clear in wet conditions ... seems like a nice add-on.