New high revs..... BS?

Viper4Christ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A while back an owner was "upset" because his shop told him that he'd have to go "easy" when he received his new Viper engine so as to properly "break it in". Someone else responded to his post with a link to a site about breaking in motors and speed secrets. Basically the site said they ran specific tests and found that the first 20 miles are the Key miles. And for that period to keep it at high revs which in turn expands the rings creating a tighter seal thus making more power. When tested they claimed a 2-10% gain in hp and tq... but if you kept it a normal low revs, the rings dont seat as tight and they found a 2-10% power loss. Also that after the "20 miles" it doesnt matter what you rev because the rings have already seated . Just wondering what you guys thought and any input. By the way my name is Chris LONG time Viper fan, and recently seperated military currently residing in NJ. Also i'd like to say Jeff(heffner TT bumble bee GTS), Chad and Jason are awesome down to earth people. :2tu:

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have seen lots of engines take way over 20 miles to seat the rings.

Seems sort of weird that a study is published quoting "miles" to seat rings. What the hell is a "mile" on a engine?

GT40DOC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say B>S>!!! I have never heard of such crap. A fresh motor with very high revs for 20 miles will have more problems than seating in the rings. :confused:

SingleMalt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no second guessing engineers who put hundreds of thousands of hours of research and real-world testing into their products. STOP IT!

BLWNV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the most important things is changing the rpm's continuously during break in. Don't head out on a trip and stay at one speed for an extended period of time. Around town is prbably the best place to break one in.
Alan

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Here's the link re "Break In Secrets". Give it a read before calling BS.

Break In Secrets

Quote ---- "There is no second guessing engineers who put hundreds of thousands of hours of research and real-world testing into their products. STOP IT! " ---- Quote

Right - the manufacturers have NO vested interest in having a motor wear out early. You must be in the marketing department or a lawyer for a cigarette maker.

I have always believed it was best to break in an engine like you plan to drive it. In my Jeep GC, I broke it in hard, and at 140,000 miles it still runs strong and doesn't use a drop of oil.

OP
OP
V

Viper4Christ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Rocket62 thats the site I was talking about. I personally dont know if it's really bs or not, I just posted it because I thought it was pretty interesting. Also like the site said, running a new engine hard is controversial to the standard easy break in. So in that light I was wondering what other people thought about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc