new member, have questions on gen I vs gen II rt/10

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not a guru, but I know enough to be dangerous. The mighty and so sweeeeeeet 96 RT and all newer cars (including the 96 GTS) got the new aluminun suspension. The Gen Is had welded tube suspension, versus forged aluminun. I am not sure if the geometry is different, but there is less unsprung weight and in general they behave quite differently. Thats not to say the first Gen suspension is bad, just that the newer is considered an improvement.

Re the Gen I head gasket issue, this you should be able to find volumes of info on. Its pretty common, some experience it early on, others with higher miles, I am sure there are folks out there with lots of miles and no leaks...I have heard/read both that the gaskets were just crappy, and the other thing is the sleeves (cylinder inserts) can shift which can lead to leaks.
If you can get a car with extended warranty, you will have some piece of mind. Re torqueing the heads can help prevent leaks.

Do more searches on this one, you should find alot of info.

The other thing I see is that alot of super chargers are desinged for Gen IIs. You might want to look into this further if this might might be part of your plan down the road.

Tomer

picflight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by backus:

[snip] what is the average going price? [snip]

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you click on classifieds on top of this page you can see a number of cars listed, will give you an idea of what they are selling for. Happy hunting.