New member looking to buy a '96 Viper

troublemaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 96 B&W was "the" coupe, all the other are followers. I've don't mean that to be a bad thing, the newer ones are more refined and nicer to drive, but it's what started it all. As was said above, make sure it's checked out. The oil leaks are so common, don't let that drive you away. The tires are minor, expensive but not a deal breaker. Make sure you drive it, it's not the most comfortable or easiest to wheel, so make sure it's what you want as its not for everybody. I own a 96, it's not the rarest or the fastest, but seems to be the most sought after and I think that will help it retain its value in the future. But buy it to drive, cars are sh!tty investments, even if they do appreciate in value your money would still be better stored anywhere else.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if I buy the car what is the best header and exhaust setup to give the car the best exhaust note.

You really should attend a Viper club event in your area and listen to different setups before you decide which system to buy. You can never tell from a set of words on a forum whether a system will sound good to you. Youtube sound clips are useless also.

I highly recommend a Corsa catback and random tech cats; but, I do not have aftermarket headers, so, I can't say how it would sound with even less restriction. My set up is perfect, in my opinion. No drone, good tone, when cruising around. Lots of presence when on the throttle but not obnoxiously loud.

charlesj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You really should attend a Viper club event in your area and listen to different setups before you decide which system to buy. You can never tell from a set of words on a forum whether a system will sound good to you. Youtube sound clips are useless also.

I highly recommend a Corsa catback and random tech cats; but, I do not have aftermarket headers, so, I can't say how it would sound with even less restriction. My set up is perfect, in my opinion. No drone, good tone, when cruising around. Lots of presence when on the throttle but not obnoxiously loud.

Exhaust note is a personal thing. I have the exact set-up as AZTVR on a 97 B/W. The two huge exhaust tips out the back look awesome. No drone, good tone, not obnoxiously loud, but it is not the system / set-up I would have chosen. Sounds nice when you are on it but could be louder all around for my tastes. The best sounding exhaust for me personally are V8 Mustangs. There is this dude in my area with a Saleen Mustang and it sounds like a rumbling monster... So awesome. Too bad the V10 angles or something with engineering that I don't quite understand doesn't allow V10s to have the same reverbation quality doohickies thingies... You know what I'm sayin? Yeah. Trust AZTVR and attend a viper event and listen to the different set-ups before buying. That is the only way you will be able to choose the exact perfect system to your tastes. Peace.
You must be registered for see images attach