New Member...New Problem

Danno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello, I purchased my 1st piece of true artwork......a 97 B/W GTS with 14,000 miles in November. This is my first post and wanted to say thanks for all the information I have received from just reading the board. I did the Roe power steering cap mod, sent gas cap to Venomblue to get chromed, back speaker removal etc,etc. Haven't driven the car as much as I would have liked to in the last 5 weeks, but car is amazing and have had no probs until today. I have always had fast cars in the past but they were all weak compared to this thing. Car has headers and some kind of aftermarket exhaust, its deep and pops and crackles on the downshift! Has K&N's and a roll bar in the back. Anyway was cruising around just fine and did a quick stop and the car didn't want to start, kept turning over but wouldn't start. After a while it started but kept dying at stoplights unless I was giving it gas. Got it home and was then idling fine. Now I'm nervous to drive it cause I don't want it to die somewhere. Don't think its battery problem cause I cranked on it a long time. I enjoy cars but dont know as much as I would like to about whats going on under the hood, and haven't found a viper tech yet. Any ideas? Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance. Danno

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would still pull the battery and get somewhere like Autozone to check it for free. Vipers get really weird when they have a bad battery. If it is the battery, get an Optima Redtop ($130ish). They dont leak and you shouldnt have to worry about it for a number of years. The guy who sold me mine said he had an Optima in his car and its been in there for 6 years with no problems

GCHDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree sounds like the old Battery Ghost to me as well. It may crank just fine but the battery may not be giving off quite enough juice. The alt may be the next place to look.
Chad

bth1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 96 and it had the same problem after I left the car sitting for about 3 weeks. It would just kind of die at a stop unless I was giving it lots of gas. I hooked it up to a battery tender and it has been just fine. Like you I figured if it can crank the engine the battery must be good but apparently that was not the case. I noticed the problem was extra bad with the heater on that day.

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is your battery going bad - if the battery output is below a certain level the car will not idle. It will demonstrate all of the symptoms your are experiencing. A battery that is substantially discharged will do the same, but will recover quite quickly in just a few miles of driving.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Two FYIs:

1) IF the battery was freshly boosted, the computer must "relearn", and during that period will not idle. After 10 minutes or so.... it'll be back to normal.

2) Yes, as many have posted, a weak battery will not put out enough voltage to successfully "drive" the idle sensor module (or something like that), causing stalling especially during deceleration.

Luis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since I don't own a viper I don't know how the idle circuit is set up. But if you have some kind of Idle Bypass valve it might be sticking closed and it might need cleaning. Ofcourse I am just shooting blind since I have no experience with a Viper.. just a thought.

OP
OP
D

Danno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I will have battery checked and if needed get the red optima! (Its still confusing to me because I have taken a battery completely out of a car while it was running before and it drove fine.) Thanks, Danno

Wild Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I will have battery checked and if needed get the red optima! (Its still confusing to me because I have taken a battery completely out of a car while it was running before and it drove fine.) Thanks, Danno

Just FYI-in my opinion taking the battery out is a very bad idea. The alternator will 'full field' (I think that's the term) and be trying to charge a battery that is not there. This can cause the alternator to burn out.

And I had very similar problems-a battery did fix it :)

Bill
(always remember-with free advice you get what you paid for)

OP
OP
D

Danno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I forgot to check the alternator gauge during this. So I'm going home for lunch and see if car is magically fixed and what gauge reads. (I dont know what a TPS wire is, Catwood)
2000 GTS, I purchased my car from a dealership in Chicago but it had a Florida title. I know a lot of people here are down on Florida cars (I think its because they dont show a salvage title?) But all Florida cars cant be wrecks. I did a carfax and car drives out great and I cant find anything showing any prior damage or that the paint has ever been broken. However that being said. 2000 GTS I see you are from Miami. If you know my car I hope you dont have any bad news for me!! Thanks for the help. Dan

OP
OP
D

Danno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Also, I'm hoping it is a battery thing because I noticed the car locked by itself last night and this morning it was unlocked. I read somewhere that the alarm may act funny when battery is getting weak. Dont laugh, but it may be a couple days before I get to check the battery because I dont even own a jack anymore! :crazy: Dan

Eric H

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jack hell, you need a tire wrench, the battery is behind the rear drivers wheel!

It sure does sound like an ECU reset, or low battery. MIne does that everytime I disconnect the battery or reset the ECU.

OP
OP
D

Danno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Big Medicine, the battery gauge is just a hair above the mark between the 12 and 16 (If it was a fuel gauge it would read 3/4ths full). Looks like its recharging. Is it supposed to be in the middle? Thanks, Dan

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I forgot to check the alternator gauge during this. So I'm going home for lunch and see if car is magically fixed and what gauge reads. (I dont know what a TPS wire is, Catwood)

TPS is the Throttle Position Switch. It's located on the drivers side Throttle body. Mine had been splice and joined with wire crimps. Off and on gave me fits until I solder the wires back together. I think they would open on occasion with underhood heat.

Carl

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that is your voltage gauge. That is where mine reads when it's running. Which was my original question, does the car operate off the battery or the alternator?

I always thought it was the alternator.

Just a general question, I don't understand either.

Big Medicine, the battery gauge is just a hair above the mark between the 12 and 16 (If it was a fuel gauge it would read 3/4ths full). Looks like its recharging. Is it supposed to be in the middle? Thanks, Dan

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While I can't add anything better to what has already been suggested, I can tell you that you have one of THE best resources at your fingertips: The Kansas City Viper Club. We have several folks right here in Overland Park, including myself. Even better, we have some very tech-savvy members including several with the diagnostic tools to tell you exactly what is happening with your Viper - for free.

I will drop you a PM with my contact information and we will get you set right up. All we ask in return is that you join our humble little club. We spent several hours with a guy with a similar issue last year (fixed) and then we never heard from him again. Too bad for both of us.