New owner, love it but a question...

cmattb25

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys, thought I would introduce myself. I am a new owner of a beautiful red 2003. I got a great deal on the car and overall the car is in fantastic shape. It needed tires and a few little things like wiper blades and a new foglight bulb(which are on order from VPA, hopefully will be here next week). I did pick up a set of Invos for the trip home to STL from Virginia as well. I've only had it for a few days but I just can't stop looking at it or playing when I have a moment. I've really tried to ease into her due to the reputation and statistics(thanks for the new owner info thread btw). I am still pretty amazed at the attention it draws and have really had to adjust to the way people driving around me act when driving it.

I do have a question regarding the HVAC system though. I know these cars are well known to have issues here and mine seems to have one as well. The issue I am experiencing is that when I put the car into reverse - the blower just stops working. Once it stops, it won't start up again until you turn the car off and back on. I am thinking its probably something simple like a fuse or relay. I just haven't had much time to investigate it thoroughly but I thought perhaps you guys may have an idea to point me in the right direction. I've looked around but haven't seen anyone with this specific issue. Any advice would be fantastic.

Overall though, I could not be happier. I've been in love with these cars since I was an early teenager and the first gen was released. It's been a dream come true! Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cmattb25

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. All I have currently are some cell pics from her first wash. Hope they will do and I can post them up. I am used to the photobucket link method.

OP
OP
C

cmattb25

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are a few more from when she got home. Still dirty though.

OP
OP
C

cmattb25

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, I've really enjoyed it so far. A lot easier to drive normally than I had built it up to be.

tbsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats and welcome to the viper world. It looks great. Do you need ac with the top down? Hope it's an easy fix!

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice ride for sure!!

As for the HVAC Problem. Not sure problems with this are all that common for Gen 3 cars. And yours is certainly unusual. Not sure why reverse would affect blower motor. Sometimes low/old/dying battery can cause some wierd things to happen. Might try a new battery and see if that helps. Just an idea.

OP
OP
C

cmattb25

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I appreciate the feedback guys. I honestly wouldn't have even noticed it if I hadn't hit road work on the way home and then sitting there baking in the sun realized that the blower for the A/C stopped working. Then over the course of a few days figured out something was happening and what was making it stop. I came home tonight and took a look at it. Never even paying attention, I came home and turned the key to on and didn't start the car. Then I put it in reverse. Nothing. No back up lights. I am thinking the 2 are connected. Possibly a fuse, possibly a bulb I guess. I am flipping through the manual but I don't see one listed as the reverse lights or back up lights.The tail lights and headlights work fine. Does anyone know which fuse controls the back up lights? Again, thanks!

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Might want to check the O2 sensor wires. They are grounded with the reverse lockout solenoid. Check engine light?
Just throwing out ideas.

OP
OP
C

cmattb25

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, I will check those as well. No CEL being thrown. I was reading some threads where grounding issues were the culprit and it was also affecting the hazard lights. It ended up being the switch on the transmission. Mine are working just fine. At least all four lights flash yellow, so I figure that's what they are supposed to do. The only thing I can find in the fuse box that I can figure may be an issue is a relay that is in spot 46-49 I believe. It is just labeled as headlamps. I don't have a multimeter to confirm. All the clear top fuses look good. I am still optimistic it is a simple fix. I should have time to tinker more today.

Viper Club HQ

Viper Club of America Business Office
VCA Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on the Viper!

We hope you will join the VCA Gateway region for 2013 if you haven't already.
Easiest way to join the VCA as a new member is online here:
https://www.viperclub.org/join/

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was reading some threads where grounding issues were the culprit
Yeah, grounding issues seem to haunt Gen 3s. If you have a short somewhere you will find your battery dead after 2 or 3 days of not driving the car. That's a good indication you have a ignition off drain somewhere.

I can send you a digital copy of the repair manual if you want it.

From the manual:

Possible causes of an inoperative blower motor or
blower motor not operating in all speeds include:
² Faulty fuse
² Faulty blower motor resistor
² Faulty blower motor switch
² Faulty blower motor
² Faulty blower motor circuit wiring or wire harness
connectors

It also talks about low battery voltage causing problems, which leads me back to the battery question. Check your battery first thing. I know it seems strange, but weak batteries cause wierd problems in these cars.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cmattb25

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. I haven't been able to really look into it with my crazy schedule the past couple days. I started it up Monday. The volt reading on the dash has read consistently at 14 when running and with the key in the on position it does read 12v. The previous owner said the battery was about a year old. He did however set up the battery with a trickle charger that is left in the trunk connected to battery. I honestly didn't pay it much attention but the more I think on it, I am going to turn the car around tonight and charge it, then disconnect the charger from the battery. I knew they would pull from the battery if left on, I just never would have thought it could make the car go nuts. But either way I guarantee it isn't helping. I appreciate the help on this one. The service manual could definitely be helpful. I will send you a pm on that one! I also grabbed a multimeter while I was out and about yesterday and do have a free morning tomorrow to look into these things. If all else fails I have an appointment next week for an oil change and if I haven't sorted it by then, I will let them check that reverse switch on the transmission.

Edit: I did remove the trickle charger - no change. I will start checking fuses in the morning.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cmattb25

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All the fuses check out. Will check the bulbs this weekend. I am suspecting its a ground wire that's going to be the issue though. Once I see the service manual and see where the tail light ground wire is, I will check it also.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cmattb25

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^^^Thanks so much guys! I will let you know when I have the culprit. Fantastic forum all the way around, really guys - thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456