New Owner Questions

4B Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just received my 2001 Sapphire Blue GTS ACR at noon Saturday and I can't stop driving it. The very first thing I did was take it down to the Pacific Coast Highway and cruise alongside the ocean. I even had a little fun trying to chase down a Ferrari Maranello that passed me up, but we both got stuck in traffic that was caused by a Porsche Boxster that had been rear ended. Driving the Viper is such a unique experience that has me hooked. Now when I drive my Audi TT Roadster, it feels like I'm driving a golf cart.

Anyway, before I start with the questions, I'd like to thank everyone at this forum. I've been lurking the past year slowly gathering vital information which has lead to a worry free Viper purchase. Thanks everyone!

Now the questions:

1) Purchased from AutoHaus West in Irvine, my Viper (feels so good to say my Viper) only has 6100 miles and drives great. Do I need to get it checked out still or should I not worry as everything is still under warrantee if anything pops up?
2) Anyone have a place in the Los Angeles area they would recommend to get stripes added?
3) Everything about the Viper was perfect except the spacer that connects the gas pedal to the bar was busted so right now the pedal is not connected. Any suggestions on getting this fixed asides from taking it to the dealership? Are the after market racing pedals just covers or do they include the entire assembly to connect it?
4) Shifter seems a little uncomfortably high to me. Any downsides to getting it shortened?
5) Clutch seems super stiff to me. Is it going to soften up a bit or is it something I need to get used to? (I think my left leg is getting bigger after just driving for one day)
6) Out of curiosity, is the height of the ACR same as the normal GTS? I think I'd still like to drop it 1/2".

Thanks for everyone's help again. I'm sure there will plenty more questions in the days to come.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Just change the oil. No need for a checkup.
3. Contact Chuck Tator at Tator Dodge 914-763-3136. He will either put you on to a used part or sell you a new one cheaper than anywhere else. There are also some salvaged Vipers in the classifieds.
4. Lot of people shorten the shifter or get MGW.
5. Is it the clutch or the spring? It seems like the spring varies from Viper to Viper.
6. Normal.

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. 6100 miles...she's barely broke in...ditto...oil change, check the tire pressure...Owners manual say 29 psi front and rear, I run 26 rear and 29 front on the street...buy an extra set of rear skins while they are only $139 each...
4. Ditto...MGW Shift Knob...way shorter
5. Just get used to it...
6. You have double adjustable Koni's...its way easy to lower the ride height.

If you are not vertically challenged, lower the drivers seat...CONGRATS! Sapphire is one of the coolest colors yet!!!

Cruisin9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations! You certainly picked the best color.

What color stripes are you thinking about adding?

Please post some pictures when you get a chance.

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats, great color! Cruisin keep that opinion to yourself (just a friendly joke).
I haven't driven or felt the stock shift knob and height. IMO, the stock knob looks to big to fit properly and easily in the hand, and I definitly think the stock height is to tall for the arm and shoulder. My shoulder would probably pop every time I push up for a gear. The Viper I drove had MGW knob, and I think a shortened stick. The clutch to me was "normal", felt just a tad stiffer than my '91 Mazda with 90 HP. The Viper I drove was a 2000 GTS. Best of luck, and if you decide to get stripes, it is a requirement to post pics ;)

Reaction score
Congratulations and welcome to the Nation of Viperholics!

A couple more items for your list:
1. Join the VCA
2. Call Skip Barber and take the 2 days school Performance Driving School. There is a 25% discount to VCA members for this school. All other Skip Barber Schools are discounted 10%
3. Follow the 2 day school with a few Car Control Clinics then the Three Day Racing School.
4. Contact Dan Cragin if you have any questions or need help. He is your local Viper guru.
5. When Viper Days returns to the West Coast join in the fun. It is fun to watch and more fun to participate.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might consider replacing the tires with Khumo Exta V700.
They are very sticky and will improve the handling and traction. They don't cost much and they probably won't last as long as normal tires. They are not that good in the rain either.
However, they are so good that they are worth living with the bad side.

YellowSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also...

As a race car driver, staying fit is important. Upper body strength, muscular fitness and muscular endurance are the most important physical features of a race car driver. Upper body and hand strength is important because a driver's body is put through a vigorous pounding from the g-force of the car. Tired muscles also tend to make you lose concentration. If you lose concentration, you lose time or worse, you could end up in the wall.