New Pads. Resurface Rotors?

G-Fulm

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am changing my 05 SRT-10 over to the EBC low-dust ceramic disc brake pads.

Question is, should the rotors be resurfaced while I'm at it?

Car has 28,000 miles on it. Thanks!

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends on the condition of the rotors. If they are grooved then you can resurface them. But keep in mind that when you resurface they are taking a decent cut off the top that is reducing the thermal capacity of the rotor. Im pretty sure that no-one doing trackdays resurfaces their rotors between pads. This might not be a concern for you if you do not participate in performance events.

If the rotors are relativly flat some shops just spin them on a shaft and use this drill attachement called a flex-hone.
Last time i switched pads my rear rotors were still in great condition so i simply sanded them evenly with a sanding block to remove the transfer layer left from the pads and lightly rough up the metal to allow the new pads to mate to the surface and bed in properly.
I ordered a flexhone for future self resurfacing.

This is what it looks like:
You must be registered for see images attach

http://www.flexhone.com/
http://www.brushresearch.com/brushes.php?c1=6

F

FrgMstr

Just put new EBC Red on my 05 SRT-10 with used StopTech cross-drilled rotors. No problems at all. The rotors were in great condition. The EBC Red come with a coating to deglaze the rotors as you break those in, so no issues with it unless you rotors are grooved badly.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
throw them old rotrs away- get new ones, and dont forget to bed those brakes so they dont squeek

OP
OP
G

G-Fulm

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok, probably wont resurface them then. Depends on the condition when I pull the calipers. Thanks.

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey buddy...my Dad and I own a repair shop. If you wanted to take them off and we could meet up, I'd be more than happy to resurface them for you.

Lemme know!

AndyMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make sure if you get them turned down, you or the shop removes the "record player" type finish from them or it will reduce your braking power.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Take Ryan up on his kind offer ------ he can likely tell easily if resurfacing is in your best interest or if it is time to get a new set. Way cool, Ryan, nice to see the support , but then the Virginia/ Maryland Club always has been a good group!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Make sure if you get them turned down, you or the shop removes the "record player" type finish from them or it will reduce your braking power.

Andy! I am always looking for a way to describe the grooves embedded in a rotor by the metallic particles in the pad: a Phonograph Record is PERFECT! Thanks. [Except the last 2 owners did not know what a 33-LP was!]

Leslie's post has hidden meaning: 'I turn my street rotors'.... Her Tracked rotors need MASS to handle the heat. Turning/resurfacing used rotors scores away MASS...and a too-thin rotor will warp quickly on track. Ask Around to club vendors: NEW front rotors are available for Gen 1-2-3-4 at under $150/pair, a GOOD investment if your rotors are record-grooved and old, 28K miles is a LOT to be resufvaced.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang