New SRT-10 1/4 mile times!

Reaction score
Hello Friends,

Although I don't get a lot of "spare time" on my hands, tonight will be a very special time for me. I'm making dashing effort to get to the track to run and video tape a brand new 2003 SRT-10 "Bone Stock" and see what this red beauty will do. The car is nearing 1000 miles and has had it's first maintenance completed.

The owner of the car is our very own Ivan **, President of the South Florida Viper club. He has generously obliged to share his efforts with all of you and let you know how well his Red Snake performs. Please keep posted and we'll let you know the outcome!

Thanks for reading,

Doug Levin

OP
OP
D
Reaction score
<<Still hasn't tripped the end of the 1/4 mile timing lights. Has to be one of the longest passes done in a Viper>>

-That's because we took the long way home :) .

Ok, to began with "The car is no less than remarkable."

First pass, SFL President ** ran:

60' 2.186
1/8 MPH 92.22
1/4 MPH 119.42
1/4 ET 12.237

There's no doubt there's eleven's lurking in this BONE STOCK Viper which brings up another issue. What are we going to do? After the first pass down the 1320' we were warned that we must abide by NHRA rules!? We must have a 5 point roll bar for the convertible to run 13.99 or quicker (sigh). This is certainly an issue we will need to address in a later date. I did get a chance to make another pass (we made this one a real sandbagger with respect to track management) I left with no throttle off the line, shifted easy and ran 12.70 @ 118. Not fun sandbagging an ET, but I did get a chance to experience a remarkable, showroom fast car!

First impressions - Up or Down:

Downside:
- The SRT-10 is a "throwback" for the original Gen I owners. It rides as hard as it looks. If you run over a dime you can tell if it's heads side up! Not a car I would like to own in the Washington, DC area where the taxes are high and the potholes are low.
- Will not power-brake. Don't even think about it. It won't happen.
- One of the hardest cars to exit; a shoehorn would be helpful. High-heals would certainly be off limits.
- Transmission feels extremely notchy. This may be attributed to the low miles.
Feels like a factory shift kit.
- Gauges. I would have preferred to see the gauges on a level horizon, not on a decline that causes a savvy minded gauge-watcher to take your eyes off the road.
Too many gauges, too little time.

Upside:
- Handles like a dream car should. Point and shoot steering.
- Ergonomics excellent! Adjustments are a fingertip away. Neat engineering ideas make for great conveniences.
- Brakes are superb. A car that can eject a passenger during a sudden stop. Another good reason to always wear a seat belt.
- Fit and finish. A work of art (except for the trunk).
- Fast, Very fast! Don't overindulge with the stats; it's fast!
- Shift light. Factory shift light is a nice idea. People like 'em.
- Crowd pleaser. The only car I know that has been around for over 10 years and still appears to the crowd as if a spaceship has landed. Expect delays while pumping gas, we did.
- A winner; Dodge Delivers!

Thanks for reading and Drive Safely :usa:

Viper89

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info
But isn`t 12,3 pretty bad for that car i thougt it would ran like 11,5 or something

Jocke

<<Still hasn't tripped the end of the 1/4 mile timing lights. Has to be one of the longest passes done in a Viper>>

-That's because we took the long way home :) .

Ok, to began with "The car is no less than remarkable."

First pass, SFL President ** ran:

60' 2.186
1/8 MPH 92.22
1/4 MPH 119.42
1/4 ET 12.237

There's no doubt there's eleven's lurking in this BONE STOCK Viper which brings up another issue. What are we going to do? After the first pass down the 1320' we were warned that we must abide by NHRA rules!? We must have a 5 point roll bar for the convertible to run 13.99 or quicker (sigh). This is certainly an issue we will need to address in a later date. I did get a chance to make another pass (we made this one a real sandbagger with respect to track management) I left with no throttle off the line, shifted easy and ran 12.70 @ 118. Not fun sandbagging an ET, but I did get a chance to experience a remarkable, showroom fast car!

First impressions - Up or Down:

Downside:
- The SRT-10 is a "throwback" for the original Gen I owners. It rides as hard as it looks. If you run over a dime you can tell if it's heads side up! Not a car I would like to own in the Washington, DC area where the taxes are high and the potholes are low.
- Will not power-brake. Don't even think about it. It won't happen.
- One of the hardest cars to exit; a shoehorn would be helpful. High-heals would certainly be off limits.
- Transmission feels extremely notchy. This may be attributed to the low miles.
Feels like a factory shift kit.
- Gauges. I would have preferred to see the gauges on a level horizon, not on a decline that causes a savvy minded gauge-watcher to take your eyes off the road.
Too many gauges, too little time.

Upside:
- Handles like a dream car should. Point and shoot steering.
- Ergonomics excellent! Adjustments are a fingertip away. Neat engineering ideas make for great conveniences.
- Brakes are superb. A car that can eject a passenger during a sudden stop. Another good reason to always wear a seat belt.
- Fit and finish. A work of art (except for the trunk).
- Fast, Very fast! Don't overindulge with the stats; it's fast!
- Shift light. Factory shift light is a nice idea. People like 'em.
- Crowd pleaser. The only car I know that has been around for over 10 years and still appears to the crowd as if a spaceship has landed. Expect delays while pumping gas, we did.
- A winner; Dodge Delivers!

Thanks for reading and Drive Safely :usa:

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
> But isn`t 12,3 pretty bad for that car i thougt it would ran like 11,5 or something

12.3 isn't bad for your first pass EVER on a dragstrip in a high-HP car. The times'll come down as drivers climb the learning curve. With 119-120 traps, high 11s are a cinch with a good track and good launch.

HOWEVER... Ivan's encounter with the NHRA rules is (as predicted) going to be a real problem for most SRT owners who want to drag race. The Autoform hardtop may become a must-have item to keep from being kicked off the track after a first pass.

ivanrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To all who are a bit dissapointed with my times, I am a bit as well,but not with the way this car ran, but with my launching techniques.

I first launched at 3000 and made my best pull, but with the tire pressures at 30 lbs cold. My best ever time in my 96 GTS was a 12.05, stock, at the same track. This car is scary fast, for a bone stock car much faster than my GTS.

Having to run your car, then sit for 30 minutes, then having some one in another class break an oil line, can really put a damper on the evening. I couldn't remember every single thing I did, and you loose focus.

Okay, that and the fact that I was on the rim to being thrown out because of the top, and no roll bar; my suggestion is that your local club rent out the track for the VCA members, and have a field day. That's the way to do it and the officials are cool with rules.

Funny though, my thoughts now on the best technique to launching this car is to leave at 1800, get a good grip out of the hole, and mash the pedel to break out point. You'll finish in 3rd gear and drop the 60' time to 1.6-1.7, which should net an 11.8 run.

When the smoke cleared and midnight was upon us, not a cloud in the sky with 75 degrees, my top went down, and I was driving the hottest automobile, and loving every minuted all the way home. I told myself that the next time out, I'll bring all you an 11 sec run..........I'll be back.

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am more interested in trap speed, and with lower weight, better aero and 50 more hp, 119-120 is not the quantum leap from the GTS I would expect. This tells me the cars will be very close from a roll. I hope the rumored computer upgrade form PVO or DC is not too long coming.

I agree with Doug's assessment entirely and am glad I have this car instead of my Gen 1 car, but also glad I kept (and was able to make the financial stretch) my GTS.

The gauge arrangement is my only big complaint. DC got that all wrong, unfortunately. Otherwise, the car is awesome for this first few hundred miles.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was hoping for 122-123mph. I'm not sure it will happen now....

BUT, Ivan, what was your trap speed in your GTS? I was trapping at 117-118 until I learned a few tricks and got into the 120-121 range. So maybe Ivan's car could get a couple more MPH than a GTS.

Chuck B 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doug, thanks for the information. I didn't expect to see more than a 120 mph trap speed. Before mods I never got better than 116 trap speed in my GTS. I'm not sure how others have a better mph. Could be driving or just a stronger car. I know the track officials can be strict and many race tracks can be different. Do you think you'll be able to race again soon? What do you expect to see for top mph in the 1/4?

Cheers,
Chuck

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
> Can you imagine what the srt Will be like Supercharged?????

Don't tempt me. I'm in enough trouble with my wife already over the E55...

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is exciting information. I'm glad I happened on to this side of the Viper line. I'm wondering though, why is this posted on this side under "RT/10 and GTS Discussions" when it has to do specifically with the SRT-10? Should it not been on the other side of the Viper line, posted under "SRT-10 and VGX Discussions"? Had I not happened to come over here, I would have been cheated of this information since I am really only interested in the SRT-10, and so I spend my time on the side of the "SRT-10 and VGX Discussions". So what gives? What good does it do to have areas categorized if the categories are not going to be properly used, and if forum moderators are not going to move things were they belong? How am I to count on where to go to find things if stuff is getting put all over the place in these forums regardless of categorization? Yes, I'm quite serious about this. I take my Viper hobby seriously, and count on these forums to keep me informed of Viper-related things. But if information is being posted *****-nilly, how am I to be kept properly informed?
Expressing my concern,
Daffy

ivanrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I ran the 12.05 in my GTS on the same track, my speed was 117mph and tire pressures were 18 lbs cold!! I dynoed my car at a later date, and the car made 404 at the rear wheels.

My tire pressures the other night were from 35 to 30.

One main reason why this car had a hard time hooking up, is the fact that this car is super tight. There is almost no weight transfer. This is evident of the jolting ride experienced on roads that aren't too smooth. But then again, this car was meant to ride ******* the road course and not the quartermile.

Ivan

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless I'm mis-reading....

Weight transfer is (more) pure & instant on a tight suspension, much like concrete is a very elastic material. It pushes back just as hard & just as fast as the force acting on it, no lag. The only way to actually transfer weight would be to reconfigure the car's components away from I.

A softer suspension would only delay the load transfer.

Again, I may mistake what you intended to say, but that's how I read it.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Geez, Ivan, you are kinda getting beat up,and a 12.2 on a new car, with run-flats, and virtually no practice to get a feel for the car is great. Heck, you
probably would have been close to the 11's with a little seat time. Keep a stiff upper lip, thanks for being Numero Uno Guinea Pig, and I know we will s
see some killer times in the near future. We do appreciate you posting first.

V10TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, those are good times on that track and that weather. Believe me. For comparison my very good friend has a 2001 GTs with 3" corsas, Belanger headers, high flow cats, smooth tubes, filters, roller rockers, and 3.54 gears. We took it to Morosso a month ago and went a best of 12.2 at 120, I got a 12.3 at 120 mph. My pass was with a 2.18 60 ft.
This car dynoed at 438 rwhp. Doug Levin knows the car.. Old Marcus G. car... saphire blue and stripes.

So the times are really good for a stoker. I'd like to see it from a roll with my friends GTS.. going to Towers Tonight.. Let's hook up!
The mph pick up was 27 from the 1/8 to the 1/4 in the SRT.. Good top end.. Also by looking a the dyno curves this new motor appears to have 500 rpms more of usable power (5500-6000)

Jason, have you run the 650 R, what's the mph like in the 1/4 ? Thanks

John Myrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had a little better luck with my SRT-10 at the drag strip. Second pass resulted in the following:

60 ft 1.9748
330 ft 5.1748
1/8 mph 94.75
1/8 et 7.7805
1000 ft 9.993
1/4 mph 122.95
1/4 et 11.8657

Bone stock... no modification what so ever.

With such a slow 60 ft time, you can see that there is opportunity to improve on these numbers. I can see shaving a tenth off the 60 ft time with a little practice.

SMHOD

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow, that is great. Can you give the shift points you used and how you came off the line? Also what tire pressure did you use?

Thanks,
Scott

getbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
xsmph,
The best time I have run was the only time I have run this car. It had 1500 miles on it and I ran with pilots and motor only at VOI7. The car ran a best of 11.3@129mph. Never could really hook up.
I am hoping to run the car at Rivercity soon as it has been where my better numbers in a stock car have been run. I would love to put on some slicks and maybe run some spray to see what it will do. I now have 2500 miles on it so maybe it has loosened up a bit.
Thanks for asking.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte