New Steering Wheel Buttons

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I know I'm being nit-picky now, but this was the only thing that bothered me about the new Viper. On my 08 Viper, I always joked about having a radio from my cousin's 2001 Grand Caravan in there (carryover parts from other lesser models). The buttons on this wheel, are from every other Dodge, and look kind of "cheap" to me. However, the new GC SRT8 has killer buttons that look in place with the rest of the upscale interior of the 13 Viper. Any plans to bring those over? BTW, glad to see the buttons on the back of the steering wheel return. I loved them on my 1999 Dakota 5.9 R/T :D

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

01viper4me

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No idea... but the new SRT-8's buttons are definitely an upgrade! That all being said... when I drive my viper I never press any buttons anyway.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at it a different way. The Viper buttons provide tactile feedback. So, you can touch them without looking. The other wheel buttons are flat, thus you must take your eyes off the wheel to do anything.

Think of it as a phones with and without a keyboard.

OP
OP
M

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at it a different way. The Viper buttons provide tactile feedback. So, you can touch them without looking. The other wheel buttons are flat, thus you must take your eyes off the wheel to do anything.

Think of it as a phones with and without a keyboard.

Just the person I was hoping would look here :)

I think you can achieve the same result, with the new layout, by raising the edges in the appropriate locations. The arrow placement is more intuitive for going through the menu's on the GC SRT8 as well (although you could train yourself to use the up/down on the left, and left/right to the right).

I just really like the new buttons layout, the design of the buttons themselves, the texture, the sheen of the plastic (which looks like it matches the window switches), etc. I remember seeing the test mules with the 03-10 steering wheel, and Charger steering controls molded in thinking it looked horrible. Was disappointed to see it make production with those buttons, but think you guys would knock the complete interior design out of the park with this change. Definitely the missing piece (for me) to a truly upscale interior look.

I also want to commend you guys for the thickness you chose for the steering wheel rim, the leather for it looks very high quality and matte. If you were to redesign the buttons, and they work with the current car, I think you would sell several to the 2013 owners. I know when they came out with a new steering wheel design for my Gallardo, several people upgraded to the new look.

Even MB likes your button style ;)

Mister Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Gents

It is great that you sincerely have the same debates 'after hours' that we spend our lives on... Like you, I love the appearance of the newer (and more intuitive) "center enter" button configuration. But it is a 'bigger' switch pack, which does not fit into a small diameter 14" racing wheel configuration (the Viper), with the smaller spokes...alas, you now share our pain! We'll continue to bring further improvements, as they become technically feasible, in the future. In the mean time, please consider the 2013 SRT Viper! It is a wonderful hoot to drive! ( I just took my old girl Gen 4 out of storage in 45F Michigan weather tonight, and she is wicked fast - a Viper - but she is not, alas, a Gen 5! ) The Gen 5, steering wheel switches and all, is a really gorgeous, and historically relevant, car.

OP
OP
M

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The last thing I wanted to do was act like I wasn't very appreciative of y'all's effort. I very much love the '13 Viper, and I for sure wouldn't kick it out of bed for eating crackers (not buy the car for steering wheel buttons). The feasibility issue I can relate to (being an engineer as well) and that makes sense :D Thanks for taking the time to respond to someone who has been a Viper fan, since I first laid eyes on it. You guys are great, and can't wait to get a Launch Edition!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456