New target for Viper. Lexus LFA sets Ring record.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLorello

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There appears to be some controversy over the video. The start and end locations are not the same, and some say the video isn't supposed to be the 7:14 run, it is a "test" run.

Personally I was never impressed with the 375K+ lexus, seems improperly priced for what you get.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's become obvious that the line is becoming blurred between a production car "technically" and a race car.
This specially designed edition LFA is one of fifty units being made.

Soon manufacturers will be running "one of five" 'Ring designed cars specifically to set the record and still be a "production" car.

C.Hermsen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
However, as long as its a street legal car created by the manufacturer, it IS a production car.

So rather than arguing semantics, I think Dodge should follow the curve. Make a 1 of 50 street legal ACR-R with more power and better suspension!

7TH_SIGN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a lot of respect for Toyota, owning two high horsepower Supra's in my life time. Then they abandoned the sport car development and dedicated all their resources to their sedans, trucks, and Scion line. Now they produce an awesome automobile which is priced higher than what us everyday sport car fans can afford. Thanks Toyota but no thanks. I’m happy with my Dodge.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All the LFA ring vids I've seen are of a car with a full cage. Pretty sure that's not a factory option

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that NASA and SCCA have some type of rule that in order for a car to be considered production there must be at least 1,000 made. Perhaps someone who knows the rules can comment.

Anyway it makes for a more reasonable definition of a production car than any other I have heard.

1994viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im a big Lexus fan, and I had many of them over the years as DD cars. But please, $375k ? I'd rather take a used Murci, 360 and a Gen 4, and have some gas money left :)

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's become obvious that the line is becoming blurred between a production car "technically" and a race car.
This specially designed edition LFA is one of fifty units being made.

Soon manufacturers will be running "one of five" 'Ring designed cars specifically to set the record and still be a "production" car.

Well, the ACR is a race car right? It made the record with a front splitter that is not street legal in the US. That was sort of over looked.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, the ACR is a race car right? It made the record with a front splitter that is not street legal in the US. That was sort of over looked.

Gee that's odd.
I drive my ACR on the street all the time. With the factory splitter.
And it's fully legal in the US.
And registered in New York.
*** are you talking about?

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the driver is always a factor dont you think? if the viper was raced on the ring 10 different times and with different pro drivers who knows maybe we would have a better ring time then what we have now...it take the times with a grain of salt and if the viper is in the top 5 its a indication its a force to be reckoned with

OP
OP
B

Barrels

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Gee that's odd.

The front splitter on the ACR that set the Ring record was made of Black Rhino horn.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didn't the LFA already kill Lexus' top test driver? It ain't a record if its not bone-stock the way a customer can order it...in '08 the ACR used was identical to 179 other ACRs that year. (11.3% of production)

Regards,
Aaron

jsarker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a lot of respect for Toyota, owning two high horsepower Supra's in my life time. Then they abandoned the sport car development and dedicated all their resources to their sedans, trucks, and Scion line. Now they produce an awesome automobile which is priced higher than what us everyday sport car fans can afford. Thanks Toyota but no thanks. I’m happy with my Dodge.
Couldn't agree more, although I have never owned an MKIV Supra. They had such great engineering in the 1990s epitomized by the MKIV Supra TT. The Supra has aged well and is still a great platform if you can get over it being 13-18 years old and still listing for $30-$60K. But since then, they have done nothing for car enthusiasts with a FWD Celica and a dismal looking MR2 Spyder.

The LFA is a great technical feat, but not a car for non C-level car enthusiasts. And the FT-86 (Scion FRS) would be a step in the right direction, if it didn't have a Subaru motor in it. I want a Toyota for their engineering, not for their parts sharing with Subaru.

All that being said, that is a damn fast car.

-Jon

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
USA Top Gear just did a segment on the LFA with Tanner in the real car taking on his buddies on a video game. A bit too much paddle shifting for my liking...

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Same as with Porsche and the supposed 7:19...no video proof. I don't care what some Lexus twit tweeted. Only video I can find has a 7:22 run.

OP
OP
B

Barrels

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here you go.

Check out this quote from the same article:

"It is also the best time amongst the bona-fide production models. Better than the Nissan GT-R (7 min 24 sec), better than the Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 (7 minutes 19 sec), better than the Porsche 911 GT2 RS (7 minutes 18 seconds)."

Didn't some other production car get a 7:22.1 in 2008? I can't remember what it was called...

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I will be very happy when Dodge can re-claim the US Production Car Record ....at the 'Ring. Hopefully SOON. Anything below 7:18 would be a clear victory as far as I am concerned.... No one disputes the "Street Car" and true production definition of the Viper ACR.... it is a federalized car, which wont pass tech at any racing venue in factory production trim. Not a race car. {Nice that all you need is setup, a roll bar, and harnesses.}

If 7:14 is deemed unattainable to the ACR {as set by a 50-unit Lexus at $375-$400K} then so be it. Buy THREE ACRs instead of one LFA, and concede the 4 seconds.....

No need to wait for a Gen 5..... re-take the US CAR record, and then take it again when the G-5 debuts......and plan to be faster than 7:13 in a Gen 5, with what you learn in a Re-take effort. PLEASE!! The cost should be 1/5 of what Chrysler pays for one prime-time TV spot.

Ill make some new decals...........

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The current tour setting production car track records around the US seems like a nice prelude to a perfect advertising campaign:

Dodge Viper; it's back and setting records at each track!!

Regards,
Aaron

aries

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, not nit-picking here but when he starts the lap, the timer starts running when he passes pit wall and the armco ends on the right hand side. When the lap ends, the timer stops with the 7:14 well before the point where it started. What gives???????

dayABR11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, not nit-picking here but when he starts the lap, the timer starts running when he passes pit wall and the armco ends on the right hand side. When the lap ends, the timer stops with the 7:14 well before the point where it started. What gives???????

That seems pretty standard now - look at the ACR video, the ZR1 vid, the Z06 vid. They all seem to be doing their timing that way.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gee that's odd.
you are talking to akmed, they allways have something stupid to say

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well if full cages are now allowed as "production" equipment I say we throw some MPSC's on an ACR-X and see what it will do.

aries

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well if full cages are now allowed as "production" equipment I say we throw some MPSC's on an ACR-X and see what it will do.

Just guessing here, but they probably did that for driver safety, considering they lost one of their drivers in a horrible accident.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just guessing here, but they probably did that for driver safety, considering they lost one of their drivers in a horrible accident.
I understand that but I think we all know that a cage really helps stiffen up a car and would def. effect the time on a track like the Ring.

jjp11

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Cool car no doubt, but I'd take a Murc every time over the LFA for that kind of price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang