New tires ------ Manufacturer?

Bhuns16

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm looking for some suggestions. My '96 has only 5400 miles, and still the original tires. :crazy: Obviously I don't drive my Viper much, but I know I should get new tires. The originals still have plenty of tread but I'm sure they have to be getting hard.

What tire have you guys replaced your original tires with and why did you choose that manufacturer?

Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just put a new set of PS2's on my Viper today, the cars first tire change. The originals had an early '01 born-on date and reasonable amounts of tread left. The difference in traction is absolutely amazing.

JonB @ PartsRack said the PS2 is a highly recommended tire for street cars that get occasional track use, and he can get you a good deal on a set.

OP
OP
B

Bhuns16

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When you guys buy from PartsRack, where are you getting them mounted? Don't want any dings caused by clumsy techs :bonker: with no experience on tires this big.

SNAKE BITE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just call around to local places and see who can handle this size. Insist that you watch them do the work. If they will not let you watch, take them somewhere else.

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brandon, If you don't mind driving down to the Columbus area, here are a couple choices:

Nelson Auto Group in Marysville. Viper/Lambo and other high end dealer. They certainly can handle it. Kernie McEldowny is the Viper tech.

Auto Assets in Powell. Mostly a Porsche tune shop. They sell all sorts of aftermarket wheels, race prep cars, dyno, etc. Tire Rack has them listed as a shop where they will send your tires directly. You then pull in for mounting.

I'd still buy from Jon B. though.

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I brought my '96 home a couple weeks ago, the tires on it were hard as hockey pucks, I'm lucky I got back alive. Ordered tires from Costco the next day, PS2s. I made sure they had the equipment to mount and balance tires that big. I watched them the whole time and they took their time. They have a good price on them, but I think Partsrack is cheaper, I was in a hurry though since I was dying to drive the car and it just wasn't safe. Nice tires though, they stick like glue. If you have a couple extra days, get them from Partsrack.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
any decent tuner type tire/wheel shop will be able to do the mount and balance for ya.

OP
OP
B

Bhuns16

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Brandon, If you don't mind driving down to the Columbus area, here are a couple choices:

Nelson Auto Group in Marysville. Viper/Lambo and other high end dealer. They certainly can handle it. Kernie McEldowny is the Viper tech.

Auto Assets in Powell. Mostly a Porsche tune shop. They sell all sorts of aftermarket wheels, race prep cars, dyno, etc. Tire Rack has them listed as a shop where they will send your tires directly. You then pull in for mounting.

I'd still buy from Jon B. though.

rcdice, thanks for the suggestions.

I don't mind driving down to C-bus at all. I've had my car down to Nelson before for some work. Actually had a pretty long talk with Craig Nelson. He's a pretty good guy from what I gathered. But then most car guys are.

Powell is no problem either. My sister lives in Powell. Actually I will be down there again tomorrow to do some work on her house. I like the sounds of Auto Assets. That way, I don't have to trasport the new tires. Do you happen to know a phone # for them?

Hey, thanks again for all the help. :)
B

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Any idea on what the current pricing is for both front and rear pilot sports for partsrack?

Pilot Sports? Older rubber...older technology.

Or PS-2 ?

As discussed and recommended above, PS2s are $1429 set of four 18"; $1329 17"

OP
OP
B

Bhuns16

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Or PS-2 ?

As discussed and recommended above, PS2s are $1429 set of four 18"; $1329 17"

[/QUOTE]

Thanks JonB. :2tu: I wanted that info as well.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
any decent tuner type tire/wheel shop will be able to do the mount and balance for ya.

Not my experience. Most lack the 6 bolt adapters to do a road force balance properly. I had one shop try for hours and hours to no avail. The whole time they kept blaming the wheels for having too much runout when it was their mounting that was incorrectly placing the wheel on the machine.

RedLiner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was told by a dealer that the PS2's are not available and won't be until summer time. Does anyone know what the availability is on them now?

Also how much of a difference will I see on the street using regular PS 18/19" wheel combo on the GEN3 wheels vs the PS-2's?

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not my experience. Most lack the 6 bolt adapters to do a road force balance properly. I had one shop try for hours and hours to no avail. The whole time they kept blaming the wheels for having too much runout when it was their mounting that was incorrectly placing the wheel on the machine.

Exact same experience here. They were able to road-force the fronts, but not the rears because they were too wide to put on the road-force balancer, or that's what they told me. Ended up getting the fronts done at no charge. Of course they did notify me that one of my rears is slightly bent and wouldn't balance properly, and the other rear, the clips were broken off the center cap and it had been glued in by the previous owner. That's just great...

Anyone know where I can get a single center cap for an ACR? :laugh:

97 B/W GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What tire have you guys replaced your original tires with

PS2's.

Got mine 3 months ago.

Just commenting to my wife this weekend as we were out driving how these tires solved the "wheel hop" and how well they stick. Great street tire. It's a new car.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Anyone know where I can get a single center cap for an ACR?

ARE
YOU
KIDDING
ME
?!!!!???!!??? More PROOOF that 50% of all Advertising $ is WASTED !!!

"If It Fits On or in a Viper.............................."

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I was told by a dealer that the PS2's are not available and won't be until summer time. Does anyone know what the availability is on them now?

PartsRack has had 17" and 18" PS2 for many months now, with INAUGURAL SPECIALS announced months ago. IN STOCK.

The 19" PS2 is not released or even priced yet....a few more weeks.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone know where I can get a single center cap for an ACR?

ARE
YOU
KIDDING
ME
?!!!!???!!??? More PROOOF that 50% of all Advertising $ is WASTED !!!

"If It Fits On or in a Viper.............................."

ROFL....Is it a Monday morning or something? Jon, you know I know who to call....the smilie was there for a good reason my friend. I'll talk to you soon. BTW, the new tires are great and the car is a whole different beast than before. I almost regret waiting so long to purchase them.