New Tires

chambers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am thinking about replacing the tires on a 01 RT . Which tires do you recommend and why?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So you bought a car? CONGRATS ! After 5 or so threads you finally scored? What? Where??

Emminently searchable topic....How and Where you drive matters.

OE sized 2001 wheels? Old, hard tires? Michelin has been OE on Viper since 1992......

Car and Driver rated 11 tires.... Michelin PS-2 came 1st or 2nd in all performance categories, and are loved by most-many here. Dodge has chosen PS2 for OEM since 2008...because they were not availabe before then.

There are many motives for choosing particular tires.

If the motive is PRICE DRIVEN, and not Performance Driven, then my facts are moot. You will buy nothing, or will likley choose BFGs....

Last edited:

OPENRUP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a set of BFG's from VPA and really like them. The free shipping and very pleasant ordering experience was a plus too!

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Kumhos I purchased from JonB were a nice compromise between price and performance, about half the cost of PS2's but still plenty sticky. :2tu: I'm still alive today because I replaced the 7 year old ZP's that were on the car when purchased.

I think I'll call him for some muffler prices next :D

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love my PS2's, BFG's are 2nd on my list. a lot of people talk highly of the kuhmo's

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on getting a great Viper. I've been using PS2s on my 2001 RT/10 for a year and really like them. Cheap? No, but they transformed how it drove. I had them road-force balanced too. The ride is very smooth at any speed.

GTLaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Kumhos I purchased from JonB were a nice compromise between price and performance, about half the cost of PS2's but still plenty sticky. :2tu: I'm still alive today because I replaced the 7 year old ZP's that were on the car when purchased.

I think I'll call him for some muffler prices next :D

:lmao: .... Don't take NO for an answer.... :lmao:

On a serious note, didn't know Jon sold tires.... That's another order....

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am thinking about replacing the tires on a 01 RT . Which tires do you recommend and why?

It really depends on your personal situation. Why did you buy the car ? (or intend on buying it) If you wanted it to experience ultimate street performance; then the Michelin PS2 were "made" for this. If you are interested in compromise, and price is an issue, the BFGs will probably satisfy you according to many buyers. The issue is that many people pay lots of bucks for linear acceleration; while others are interested in maximizing lateral acceleration. Some just want the "looks" of the car. I didn't buy the car as a "compromise" kind of car, so, I went with the PS2. I then tried the Kuhmos and found that they satisfied my needs at my driver awareness level. However, I think from what I see posted and from the lack of product posted for sale, that Kumho is exiting the Viper market (at least in the Gen 2 sizes).

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I chose BFG's all the way around and couldn't be happier. Bought from VPA and the price was incredible.

pgbeek

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ditto: I chose BFG's all the way around and couldn't be happier. Bought from VPA and the price was incredible.
No tax & had them in a few day's.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Good Luck, dont 'rush' into a decision.....and GOOD to be protecting your investment w/ new rubber!