New-to-me AC Issue

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't use the AC a lot so I don't have statistically-valid data on this, but it seems that in the past few months my AC behaves in a weird way.

When I start the car, windows up and turn the AC on quickly, it blows cold and everything in the cabin stays nice and cool. If I turn off the car....even for 2 minutes to run into a store, when I start back up and turn on the AC it blows coolish......and won't bring the cabin temps down to the icy level I want.

Stranger still is the idea that the thing'll blow cold during a 40 minute ride (assuming no turn off's of the ignition); but even after 10 minutes, if I turn it off and restart the super cold goes away.

Any ideas (besides aliens in my compressor)?

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, I do alot of A/C repair, but haven't seen that one. -I know it can't be aliens in the compressor (unless the car was originally sold in New Mexico) Gonna have to hang a set of gauges on the car and see what's going on. Possible evaporator core freeze-up maybe. Is it real humid where you live? ..............If not, it might be gremlins.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could it just be in the time you have the car turned off and get it turned back on all the heat from the engine has crept into the cabin and it's too much for the A/C to overcome?

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could be the expansion valve sticking open and not metering refridgerant properly.......would need gauges to tell. If not, -gremlins.

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you checked the refrigerant level or had it checked. That sounds like mine before I had refrigerant added and then it was super cold all the time.

OP
OP
D

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts....it is weird.

I'm in Atlanta so its humid, but no mores o than most places on the east cast in summer so that's probably not it.

Its probably a combination of low refrigerant and letting the car heat up while its off......mostly low refrigerant. I had it charged last summer after I replaced the compressor-side o-rings, but maybe I still have a leak or a condenser issue that has allowed enough refrigerant to escape to make it work well for a while and then struggle.

I'll take a long ride today to see if it stays cold for an hour if I don't shut it off....probably won't.

Thanks for the ideas though.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang