New Viper owner in Holland

Wally-NL

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello to all Viper drivers and members of this site,
After long a long time thinking to do or not i finely bought a Viper, this was something i really wanted already a long time but what made me hesitate was that in Holland a Viper is really a exotic car and when you drive or park it you get a lot of attention! Than i thought why shout i bother i see to many of this gray hybrid cars on the road… perhaps a real car will give a little extra shine here and there!! On April the 2th i have picktup mine Viper GTS from 1997 with 40.000 km! And today i have made my first big trip with the Viper (from Rotterdam to Meppel and back) about 500km for America not so far for Holland it is across the country! I must say it was quiet a experience! The Viper is totally different car than I have had before (Audi TT, Audi RS4 and a BMW M3) the first thing is that you feel and hear every ting and a lot of vibrations! In the beginning I have driven real carefully be course I was worn for the torque that would available at low speeds! But the car was not driving nice than, so later when I felt more a costumed and sure I did higher speeds in lower gears and than the car is really driving nice! And really powerful …. but in Holland we have a speed limit of 120km (80 miles) this is really a problem but next to us, our neighbors is Germany and there are still roads where you can drive as fast as you can/want..... So soon i will visit our german friends to do a little speeding with the Viper!!
Problems with the Viper till now:
Window wipers work not good (one is to slow so they get stuck in the middle of the screen)
Right door window is not working
Airco is not really cold
And there is a big oil leak be course I have to refill oil and there is a big place with oil under the car after night parking!
And I feel vibrations when I am driving away in the first gear !
So all together a good car…….but the garage where I bought is already ordering the needed parts and they promised to fix all this things!! So I hope they will!! Otherwise I have to spend a lot of time and money to do it myself!:mad:
But I still am positive and I like to drive this car!!

Greetings Walter
PS als er nog meer NL Viper eigenaren op deze site actief zijn? Is het misschien leuk om eens een ontmoeting in NL te organiseren??

Attachments

• Viper GTS.jpg
    Viper GTS.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Viper GTS 2.jpg
    Viper GTS 2.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 31

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Beautiful car...Congratulations !!!

Be sure and look at the timing chain cover as a source of leak...can also allow oil and coolant to mix if the gasket is bad...as many are that year. Also, look at all of the oil pan bolts since over time they often loosen, and leak...check valve covers as well. Hopefully, that will fix or assist you in finding oil leak's source.

Please keep us posted...and ENJOY your Viper !!!

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations :2tu:. You sound very excited, even though there are issues...hopefully the shop will get most/all of them fixed and you can get to enjoying it more ;). Feel free to ask about any of the issues and provide as much detailed info as possible...the forum members can be very helpful in diagnosing problems.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:welcome::newbie:

With the VIBRATIONS (might be a simple tire balance problem OR an alignment needed OR something wrong with the suspension OR the drive train OR ... or ... or ....) and the OIL LEAK do not speed or drive fast! Please.

Oil on the brake rotors and/or tires may not be a good idea!

There are NO bad vibrations if everything is OK with the car.
What do you know about the history of the car? Any signs of an accident?

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
congratulations for your viper purchase, and a fine 1st post

your fix it list sounds common, search this site for best ways to trouble shoot and fix - there is a viper education to be found here

please post up when you take it to germany, the dream of many over here

our site supporting vendors can source (supply) your parts and ship to you

:drive:

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Wally-NL

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello,

Thanks for your friendly post!!
Viper GTS Wrote:
Oil on the brake rotors and/or tires may not be a good idea!
I dont ride this moment with the Viper, the Garage where i bougt
asked me not to drive! Next week it going back to the Garage and they will look en fix this problems! And you are right it is dangeraus to get oil on the tires or brakes!

The history of the car is clear it has had 3 owners 1 privat and 2 Companys Garage's where owners of the Viper the km history is compleet and it has had a small damage at the front bumper and left headlamp! Thats all!
But i think the oil leak is also possible when a car is not used for a long time (only 3000 km for last 5 years)rubbers get perhaps dry and they start leaking??? Well i hope that in the next 2 weeks everyting is fixed!!
I will keep you informed, and when we go to germany i will post the pictures!

Greetings Walter

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good to hear.
Hope everything goes well with fixing the issues!
:2tu:

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HI there Walter,

I am a RT/10 owner from the Netherlands, I live in Helmond. It sure is a beauty to look at. I would love to meet some time and take closer look!
Your oil leak could possibly be the gasket on your oilpan (carterpan in Dutch). I am changing mine this week. Mine is not really leaking but only sweaty. When you have issues fixing the car, which could occur because there is no expertise in this country, you are welcome to contact me, I have a 1997 GTS service manual, which contains all the information there is to know about your car. Together with this manual, it is possible to take the whole car in a million pieces and right back in a couple of hours...or something like that!

Greetz Roy

ps make sure this dealer fixes all issues, parts aren't plenty available and a bit expensive as most comes from the States

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awsome!!!! ... That car is "gold" ..... All issues with that car are known on this board/forum.. Please continue to make necessary repairs and do not hesitate to post here or be swayed! With proper care, that car is a MONSTER!!...:2tu:

Enjoy...