New viper owner looking for guidence

sanco-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I just bought a '99 gts with a few upgrades already installed and I would like some feedback on them. Up until now I've been pretty much a chevy guy. But now I've been bitten by the snake! My last project was a '69 chevelle SS convertible restoration so I know some about cars. But, I've never bought Borla headers before and the viper has them with Borla 3" cat back system. Also it has K&N's with smooth tubes, race calibrated engine controller (#P5007313) from Dodge & 3.55 rear end gears. I thought this was a good start but am not sure about the Borla stuff and the computer upgrade. Any thoughts?
Thanks

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty standard stuff. Unless you're a fanatic about the 1/4 you should be set. If you're a ViperDays track rat upgrading the brakes might be your next purchase.

Chuck B 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think the Mopar computer upgrade is worth anything. Most people go with the Corsa over the Borla because of the interior noise. They both sound good though. The Corsa is better on long cruises.

Cheers,
Chuck

Reaction score
Congratulation and Welcome to the Viper Nation!

The most important up grade is to the computer that controls the go juice, slow and turn motion, and view ahead. You have the basic computer it just needs an upgrade. Call Skip Barber for a 2 day school, discounted 25% to VCA members.

The First step in Viper ownership is to Join the VCA. Until the computer upgrade is complete add power gently with the wheels pointed straight and looking ahead 3-5 seconds. Brake in a straight line turn in late and keep looking ahead. Quick glances to all mirrors advised. Admires of the snake may sneak beside you in areas hard to see.

Visit "The Viper Shop" Dan Cragin will take care of your Snake.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you by chance buy the car in Austin, Texas? Those are great mods to start with. The computer is worthless, but the rest of the stuff is great! Doesn't sound like a lot, but that's nearly $5,000 worth of upgrades you have!

OP
OP
S

sanco-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Big Carrot,
Yes I did, it sounds like you know the car (silver gts stock wheels)? If the computer is worthless, is there something else out there that will allow the improved breathing (in and out) to work at an optimum level? Thanks again.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Mopar computer is OK for a few things like removing check engine lights, but it almost never adds power. The stock computer is about as good as it gets. That car already has some great mods on it. Borla is great stuff. A lot of guys use it. Without going into the engine, the only other things I'd recommend would be roller rockers, ported throttle bodies, a Roe Vec 1, and maybe a shorty shifter. If you plan to race it, you might throw in some hardened half-shafts. I think you can get all of that stuff at roeracing.com I looked at that car when I was shopping, this time around. I had my friend talked into buying it, but when we called them back they said a guy in Cali snagged it up. When you described the car, I figured it might be you. Congratulations!

OP
OP
S

sanco-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Big Carrot,
Yea that's me :D the cars now on the left coast. Thanks for the info, that's pretty much the things I was thinking about doing. Sorry about your friend but you know what they say, "YOU SNOOZE ........" :)