New Viper owner - looking for missing parts

DreamOn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Greetings and Happy New Year everyone!
I just purchased my dream car over the Christmas break. It's a 2001 RT/10. I bought it from a Florida guy on eBay so I didn't get a good chance to look it over before I won the auction. Then when I went to pick it up, I didn't arrive until after dark so my review of the car was with just a flashlight very basic.

Now, after owning it for a couple weeks... crawling all over it, checking out every feature, changing tops, etc. etc. I discovered that my Viper is lacking some parts. Now I've owned classic/collector cars previously and I pride myself on keeping them 100% complete and fully functioning in every way possible. So I come to you as a 'noob' to ask you all as 'experts' on Vipers if you can help me.

Contrary to popular belief, all Viper owners are NOT filthy rich and while I don't have loads of cash, I do expect to pay for the parts I need to complete this car of mine. I'm not asking for freebies here only help in locating some 'hard-to-find' parts. But I'm not too proud either if someone has some spares they want to get rid of... (smiles):smirk:

I took some pictures to help me explain what I need. I know you all love pictures... hehehe These are in no particular order.
Need the fog light cover - to keep road debris from getting in behind the light.
Right_fog_light_cap.jpg

I need the clip or bracket that secures the accellerator cable to the intake manifold.
Engine_view.jpg

I need the cap or cover for the rear window lock.
rear_window.jpg

I need two (2) plugs that door sills to cover the screws.
Right_door_sill.jpg

I need the panel behind the left rear wheel to keep debris from collecting inside the bumper. Does this missing panel also hide the battery? Or is there another panel missing?
http://gallery.viperclub.org/data/500/medium/left_rear_wheel_well.jpg

Lastly, I'm missing the interior rear view mirror with the map lights. Does anyone have a stock Gen II mirror they would sell me? The local Dodge dealer can get me this for about $62 but I thought I would ask here first.

Thanks in advance from Georgia's newest Viper owner.:headbang:
Bruce

OP
OP
D

DreamOn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, the check engine light is on... but I'm following that topic in another thread. I'm already in love with this dream machine!!! It is f-ing awesome! Pretty minor stuff is all I need. I've ordered an owners manual and will be upgrading the speakers and stereo soon. Mechanically, everything seems to work great. I also need to upgrade my driving skills now with a course at Road Atlanta... (grin)

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lots of vendors that can help you but I would give Cory a call at Snake Oyl Products # 608-849-9878. He has a lot of inventory and is very knowledgeable.
Welcome to Viper ownership, you are in for a ride! A note for you though......you should have asked somebody from the forums to check out the car before you bought it. I know the items you need are minor but it is just more money you have to spend. Just a thought.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bruce, Congrats and Welcome!:2tu:

If I can help, most of what your looking for I have in stock and the rest I can get in day or so. Give me a call, when you get a chance.:cool:
914-763-3136

xlrashn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is it just me, or are there supposed to be some sort of heat shields on the headers. Just a thought...... welcome to the club

V

Venomiss

Well, the check engine light is on... but I'm following that topic in another thread. I'm already in love with this dream machine!!! It is f-ing awesome! Pretty minor stuff is all I need. I've ordered an owners manual and will be upgrading the speakers and stereo soon. Mechanically, everything seems to work great. I also need to upgrade my driving skills now with a course at Road Atlanta... (grin)

What a nice Christmas present to yourself! The others who answered have what you need. Now you just need to join the VCA to make all the planets align.;)

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Welcome! A few of us are headed to RA in March, you're more than welcome to join if you're around. Some info and links here:

http://forums.viperclub.org/georgia/609147-nasa-event-road-atlanta.html

There is a guy in Wisconsin (I forget the name at the moment but others may remember) who has been great at recovering and selling parts like these from salvage vipers. Start with the folks who've responded here but if you strike out on an item, this may be a decent route to try.

:drive:

OP
OP
D

DreamOn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
haha... Thanks for all the comments! I would have enjoyed having someone from the VCA or this forum to check out the car for me before I bought it. But I didn't even discover this forum until after I owned it. Anyway, I am very happy with my purchase. I check the title/registration history with Carfax and everything is clean. I knew it wasn't originally black and that the engine had been repainted. That is something I would have done anyway! :)
The engine has been rebuilt and the intake has been ported and polished.
I really appreciate the advice on the header heat shields and plug wire looms. I'll get that taken care of right away. Hopefully, the heat shields can be installed without pulling the engine, right? (crossing fingers)

Mr Wizard... I'll give you a call tomorrow.

You guys are fantastic!
Bruce

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good pick up!

Bruce, can you say FIRE! You need to get some heat shields those headers!:fire: :panic:

Do a search here.

A collection of Viper brainage above, but other opinions abound.

Lou Belanger who built my headers says no heat shields needed. Maybe the rust on those is the issue vs. the shiny new ones I have, but Round 1 of the Wiz vs. Lou is under way.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck, just curious- what do the sill plugs cost? Thank you, Richard

Bump - I need some as well.

Although I haven't bought anything from Tator's Dodge yet, trust me, I'm a big believer in supporting the vendors at this site. Just ask Jon B and Sean Roe.

Anyway, I'm not a big believer in paying retail for all of the little plastic parts on our cars. I've found outlets for most of them at mere fractions of dealer prices.

The snap in plugs are for 3/4" holes. Finish may be smooth versus textured, but at $7.36 per bag of 100, change them all!

McMaster Carr has them, part number 85985K21

0209 CLK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another member needing some of those sill plugs as well but def not paying a grip just for some plastic little caps. What website did you get it from dave6666? I suppose you have some left over...would sell 8 of them? =)

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another member needing some of those sill plugs as well but def not paying a grip just for some plastic little caps. What website did you get it from dave6666? I suppose you have some left over...would sell 8 of them? =)

Don't need any, and have not bought any. Info was for benefit of others. McMaster Carr is mcmaster.com

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bump - I need some as well.

Sill plugs #4848881AA MSRP $3.25 each
Less 20% VCA discount [in stock]
914-763-3136

"A collection of Viper brainage above, but other opinions abound.
Lou Belanger who built my headers says no heat shields needed. Maybe the rust on those is the issue vs. the shiny new ones I have, but Round 1 of the Wiz vs. Lou is under way."

I will post up pictures of a 97 that cought on fire because of no heat shields!

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here you go.........................................

For Mr Tator

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cheers Baz for posting the pictures!:cool:

That was a 97 GTS and they were my customer. I had been telling the owner that he needed to get heat shields on his headers and kept saying "ya ya I'll get to it". This what happens when you don't install your heat shields on headers!!:panic:

There are many of you out there that do not have heat shields on your headers, my 2-cent, "it's just a matter of time before this will happen to your Viper!":omg:

The owners insurance company came after me because I was the last person to work on the Viper! Last time I worked on it, I installed a fuel pump and as you can see from the pictures, that the ONLY part of the Viper that was left was where the fuel pump is!!

The insurance company did a fire investigation and they determined that the point of origin of the fire was in the left side of the engine compartment!!:slap:

I will run a special on a group buy of heat shields!:D

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will run a special on a group buy of heat shields!:D[/quote]

If they are reasonable, count me in. I have the stockers, but it would be a nice "fresh" touch under the hood. And I'll fwd my old ones to my bro', who has none on his Belanger equip'd '97.

OP
OP
D

DreamOn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After looking at the melted Viper, I think I'll use the 'better safe than sorry' mentality. Seems like cheap insurance and peace of mind to me. I certainly don't think there is anything wrong with the appearance by adding them nor does leaving them off add anything - except risk. THANKS for the advice people!!! Curious what the special price is ???

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they are reasonable, count me in. I have the stockers, but it would be a nice "fresh" touch under the hood. And I'll fwd my old ones to my bro', who has none on his Belanger equip'd '97.

Here is the story on the heat shields:

92-97 [GENI/GENII] NO longer available from Chrysler!!:omg:

98-02:
Left #5004005AB MSRP $197.00 [38 left in stock]
Right #5004006AB MSRP $209.00 [10 left in stock]

03-06:
Inner #5037284AC MSRP $95.35 [34 left in stock]
Outer #5037245AC MSRP $205.00 [20 left in stock]

How about 25% off on the heat shields!:cool:

914-763-3136

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the now crispy Viper w/o the heat shields - curious what the condition of the finish was on them before the BBQ. According to Lou Belanger, the secret to not needing the heat shields is the Jet Hot coating. Do not know the specific science behind it, but was the car that burned, were those headers rusty like the ones pictured in this thread by DreamOn?

OP
OP
D

DreamOn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I just wanted to update anyone still subscribed to this thread... and to thank those of you that have offered me advice and parts!

THANK YOU!!! I sincerely appreciate it!!

Mike... Darryl... :thankyou: :rock:

I have bought, or been gifted, all the parts I needed except for the little plastic cap on the back of the rear window lock. I really hate to bother the Wizard for such a trivial part :rolleyes:

Next project... stereo head unit and speaker replacement!
Happy driving everyone. Praying for a short winter / early spring.