New Viper Owner - Viper Tech in the area?

cposk

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just picked up a 98' GTS and I do not think that the diff/steer bracket recall was ever done. I called Dodge and they don't have any records of it being completed. Also, my rear end feels like it floats a little bit at 80mph+. With 10-20% throttle, straight. Any more and the car pulls a couple degrees left. Let off the gas and it pulls a couple degrees right. Maybe it is just needs an alignment, but I am worried because it feels like it is turning from the rear end. Unfortunately I did not catch this during the test drives.

Does anyone know a good Viper tech in my area? (5 minutes north of Annapolis)

DaDood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the community! I don't know of any Viper tech's in the area (maybe some more experience Viper guys could help), but there are certainly some very good shops in the MD/NOVA area that you could probably bring the car to.

Good luck with getting that fixed. It's a bummer you did not feel it in the test drive.

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think most people are going to refer you to Chantilly Auto & Fleet Service. The service manager is Dwayne Smith, a former Viper tech, who does quite a bit of the local Viper work. You can also PM "eurowalt" for more exact details. Their phone number is 703-340-7788

GTLaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't trust any Viper Tech/Shop in the area except Jeff @ Safford Dodge in Springfield, VA. Been to other places mentioned and not a good experience, do yourself a big favor and PM me for details.

Reaction score
Make sure and ask wherever you end up if they have actually done the recall. We have "re done" quite a few that were hacked together, possibly worse then without the work being done. They need to have the correct welder/wire and do the proper prep work to make this repair.

Also if you send me your VIN and mileage I can tell you exactly what recall you need, there are 2 different ones, one for front only and one for front AND rear.

OP
OP
C

cposk

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I've been doing some research and I believe the issue I have is called "crabbing" where the car feels as if it is turning slightly from the rear end (correct me if I am wrong). It sounds like it probably needs a rear end alignment, but could be worn bushings, bent suspension pieces, or a bent frame. I'm going to look the whole back end over tonight and see if anything is noticeably broken/bent/loose, then go from there.

As for the recall, I am in the process of getting a car to get me to work in the snow/rain. GTLaser I will PM you later this week.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make sure and ask wherever you end up if they have actually done the recall. We have "re done" quite a few that were hacked together, possibly worse then without the work being done. They need to have the correct welder/wire and do the proper prep work to make this repair.

Also if you send me your VIN and mileage I can tell you exactly what recall you need, there are 2 different ones, one for front only and one for front AND rear.

I would take advantage of Mark's offer, he really knows his stuff. You might also ask him for the correct alignment specs and ask about a "track" alignment specs which will eliminate a lot of the wandering and tramlining (tires following groves in the pavement) That may also be what you are feeling. And you probably need new tires, the car is flat dangerous without them in these cold temps if the tires are old.

On another note I think we may be neighbors based on your comment about 5 minutes north of Annapolis. I'm in Severna Park.
Second biggest event of the year coming up this weekend as well, Western Maryland cruise.

OP
OP
C

cposk

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had a 99' Camaro with 275's that would "wander" like crazy. This feels different, the car feels like it floats back and forth on the rear suspension a couple degrees to either side.

Small world, I am also in SP. I live behind Gaint/Kohl's shopping center.

I just picked up a weekend valet job in Annapolis and I may be training this weekend. Maybe we can meet up sometime and you can give me your thoughts on how it feels. I have little experience with a car of this caliber.

Last edited:

stranger355

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't trust any Viper Tech/Shop in the area except Jeff @ Safford Dodge in Springfield, VA. Been to other places mentioned and not a good experience, do yourself a big favor and PM me for details.

Seconded.....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude