New Viper Owner

Jays_01_GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello All, I am a proud new viper owner. My car was delivered to me just one week ago today. It's a red 2001 GTS with cognac interior(1 of 21) bought from Marv Rose at dodgevipersforsale.com. The car is great. I've been dreaming about owning one of this for over ten years and I FINALLY own one now. I am so happy. Well, I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello to everyone.

Jason :D

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Welcome! Did you mean its brand new? Did they tell you the Arrow break in procedures?

Congrats on your Snake! The VCA has a ton of great things to do, outings, track meets, etc.

Post some pics, newbie! :D

OP
OP
J

Jays_01_GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, it's brand new. It had about 100 miles when I got, I'm the original owner.

Arrow break in procedure? Not sure what that is. I am just following what was in the video and manual that came with the car. It has just over 300 miles on it right now. What's the arrow break in procedure?

I am hoping to meet up the Illinois Viper owners some time soon. I see the occasional viper around and I'd love to meet some other viper owners.

Jason

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congrats, I have had my Viper for just over 24 hours now. Mine isn't brand new, but I imagine we have the same snake running through our veins.

Enjoy!

Tommy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, it's brand new. It had about 100 miles when I got, I'm the original owner.

Arrow break in procedure? Not sure what that is. I am just following what was in the video and manual that came with the car. It has just over 300 miles on it right now. What's the arrow break in procedure?
Jason

Congrats, Jason! What did you end up paying for it? I re-call they were asking 63.5 for the yellow and blue GTS. Break-in procedure is simple. Just keep the revs between 4-5k for the 1st 1k miles. :D

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where in Oswego? I'm right up the road. My buddy lives off 34 past gas city (also in oswego) he has an obviously loud black camaro, lowered, corvette wheels.

Take care. Car looks great!

Gheijos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats...and welcome. There seems to be a number of vipers that live out west. Paulo and I both live in Elburn, sounds like SapphireGTS is close by as well. We should all try to me up one of these days.

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason,
Congratulations and welcome aboard! Be prepared for all the attention and people driving like maniacs just to get close to check out your ride. :cool:

Mr U-2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome. The cognac interior is beautiful. Do a search for the break in procedure. Basically first 1000 miles has some restrictions: RPM limits...no FT starts...a 200 and 1000mi oil change if memory serves. Takes discipline sometimes but it's good for car AND driver. Good luck

Paul :usa:

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Arrow Break-in Procedures

Arrow rebuilt engines for DC. They reccomend a gradual break-in, that will help the moving parts seat properly. Although this is not officially mandated by DC, it is a good procedure anyway, to insure long engine life, good ring seating, etc. Lets see if I can remember it-

0-200 miles, limit rpms to 2500
200-400 miles, 3500 rpm max
400-600 miles, 4000 rpm max
600-800 miles, 4500 rpm max
800-1000 miles, 5000 rpm max

Initial oil change at 200 miles.

You are supposed to avoid full throttle, regardless of rpm, and vary the engine speed, never driving constantly at one speed, either fast or slow.

After 1000 miles, you can stomp on it, but a very experienced Viper tech told me to take it easy for a few thousand miles.

The above info may not be exact. Try searching for "Arrow", or "break-in". Gotta go, see ya later.

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
0-200 miles, limit rpms to 2500
200-400 miles, 3500 rpm max
400-600 miles, 4000 rpm max
600-800 miles, 4500 rpm max
800-1000 miles, 5000 rpm max

You have to be a real Ana-l to follow the above. How can you not mash the pedal the second you pull out of the dealer. I figure run it hard from the day you buy it. That way it knows what it has coming to it.

OP
OP
J

Jays_01_GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Everyone.

Yeah, I live in oswego, just off Route 71, just west of the high school. It's good to see that there a a few viper owners near me so we can get together some time. So far I have seen a red gts with silver stripes on route 34, and a silver gts with blue stripes. Not sure if either of these owners are on the boards here.

That's quite a break in procedure. I am planning to stick with the dodge break in procedure for now. I really have babied the car so far and it's just over 300 miles now. If I get to the 600 mile mark and I still have patience I will continue with the above procedure, we'll see how patient I am ;)

Jason

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
It absolutely killed me, but I made it through. What did I know? Nothing, just took the best advice, right off this board.

I like the idea of slinging gravel on the lesser Dodges! Thats pretty funny