new Viper owner

bwagman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello,

I just became the proud owner of a 2000 Viper GTS (Black)23,000 miles. I took delivery yesterday when the huge 18 wheeler showed up at my front door! That was a real nice experience seeing the car driven off an enclosed trailer. I'll enclose some pics soon.

I'm right now going through the in's and out's of the car checking it over up and down. I did take the car for a short drive last night and noticed the hearter function only works on the leg vents. Is this how the car is set up? In other words, when I put the heat on for the dash vents, cold air came through (I'm in Northern NJ), I'm not sure if it was outside air or the AC? When I turned the dial to leg vents it got hot very quickly. I'm hoping this is how the system operates (as this is what my salesman told me) and that there's nothing wrong??? But if anyone can advise me on this I would greatly appreciate it. My other concern is the driver side auto mirror is not moving with the power mirror switch, but the passanger side works fine. Could this be a fuse issue (although I doubt it, because one works and the other doesn't). Could the power motor be blown?

Sorry for all the questions, but I figured this is the place to start for my answers (dedicated Viper enthusiasts). I have participated in many forums in the past (Corvette Forum, Roush Mustang Forum, 3000GT VR-4 Forum, and I currently have a 2005 STi which also has a dedicated forum) I have had great success in learning and advising on all these forums.

Thanks,

Ben Wagman
(former NASA X Northeast Chair)

HLN A55

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ben-
Congratulations! About the heater-you don't need to use it, just drive the car really fast for a while and it will warm up :) Ok, the heat only comes out of the defroster and leg vents-not the middle vents.

Have any pics to share?

Flash Gordon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's up, bro! Where in north NJ? I'm over in Morristown. Your salesman was correct. Only AC for dash vents, heat from below. If you had gone for a longer drive, you would have discovered that the side sills would have taken care of your heating needs. There are many threads regarding the wiring issues on driver side harness/conduit traveling between door frame and door. Perhaps this is the culprit. I'm sure someone with more knowledge than I will chime-in. Gimme a shout when the temps warm up a bit, I'd like to check out that STI. One of my favorites. Peace. Rob
P.S. Everyone's gonna ask for the mandatory pics...
:nana:

93Cobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, that is how the heater works. Congrats and lets see some pics......

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The heater function is normal (see HLN ***'s answer above). With regard to your mirror issue, it may be a cracked wire in the bundle of wires going into the door from the body. Does the power window work?

BTW: awesome color choice. Do you have the silver stripes on the car as well?

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah you are correct. The Viper has a weird heating and AC system but what are you going to do. Congrats on the car. Another NJ member. Welcome. I am in Central NJ.

OP
OP
B

bwagman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow, 9 replies in less then one hour!!! I can see this forum is going to be a great asset to owing a Viper. Thanks everyone for all the info on the heater situation, needless to say I'm relieved to know it's working fine. Now I just need to address the power mirror issue. I just got back from the insurance Co with my temp card. I've put exactly 100 miles on it since taking delivery yesterday evening approx 6pm (strange bad cough today [image needed a sick day ;) ).

Okay you all asked for it and I'll produce. Here's a couple shots (really bad shots as my camera ***** at night time) of the rig unloading the Viper (he couldn't make it to my door because he already took down four powerlines)....ooops. However, it was in walking distance to my house.

Once I get the car cleaned up I'll repost some more pics.

You must be registered for see images

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bwagman - one more thing to watch for is the cylinder sleeve issue with early 2000's (the rings in the first 200 built don't seem to seat right all the time and cause oil consumption). Check your build date on your car. If it's earlier than mid November, 1999 (which alot of the black GTS's from 2000 seem to be) then keep an eye on your oil usage.

OP
OP
B

bwagman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, this is the kind of stuff I'm looking for. My build date is February 2000. Does this mean the car is likely out of the woods on this problem? I take it a build date of 2/00 is a late year build?

Ben

OP
OP
B

bwagman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Rob,

I'm located in Oakland, which is about 25 minutes north of Morristown.

I love the STi, it's a great daily and serves as my autocross car. I really haven't done anything to it outside of a 32mm front sway bar and Kumho V710 tires (for the track).

I'm actually looking into autocrossing the Viper (here and there, nothing serious), just for the sheer fun factor. I really think the STi is more competitive and easier to drive around those cones (plus not nearly as bulky as a Viper).

nice to meet you

Ben

GT40DOC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the "family"!! Now you need to be a member of the VCA FAMILY. You won't regret it, a really great group of guys and gals. Congrats on your new baby. :2tu:

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, this is the kind of stuff I'm looking for. My build date is February 2000. Does this mean the car is likely out of the woods on this problem? I take it a build date of 2/00 is a late year build?

Ben

Yep - you're good. Mine was 10/11/99 and I know of a couple of other black GTSs built around that time so I just wanted you to be sure.

hatda02GTS01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Welcome!

I'm new here too...just to posting...I've been reading and learning for the last year and a half! Lot's of knowledgeable people here and lot's of information in past forum posts.

OP
OP
B

bwagman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry about the pics, I tried a different image hosting website. Hope this works.

Well I feel bad for the Subi, but this one's a NO BRAINER! I only have so much space and I can't axe the wife's car outside :nono:

Knight Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Welcome!! Looking forward to seeing you on the road this season, maybe Chrysler Carlisle July 7-9. Make sure to contact your local VCA and sign up for the club and get your tickets for VOI 9 in Vegas. The snake has claimed another victim :2tu:

Flash Gordon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just throw a 4-post lift in there and you're good to go. It looks like you've got the ceiling height for it. Even scoobies need a warm bed at night... :p

OP
OP
B

bwagman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just throw a 4-post lift in there and you're good to go. It looks like you've got the ceiling height for it. Even scoobies need a warm bed at night... :p

yeah, that would definitely be nice, maybe I'll build a third garage.

So I guess the pics finally posted?

So when's the first New Jersey Viper Cruise/Meet?

Also is there a way I could find out the exact production numbers of each year Viper specifically 2000? I'm curious to see how many came in my combo? And what number mine is?

Ben

OP
OP
B

bwagman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congratulations!!! You're a celebrity now. :2tu:

Dude sweet video. GREAT PICS! Did you shoot them yourself? Nice shots especially of those chicas :p

BTW, what's the song you have which plays around 6 minutes into the vid.

Nice job, makes me want to book a trip on expedia right now!

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Also is there a way I could find out the exact production numbers of each year Viper specifically 2000? I'm curious to see how many came in my combo? And what number mine is?

Ben
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to the Viper Buyers Guide by Maurice Liang, there are 273 black GTS's that year with total GTS production of 949. For the RT/10, there were 259 black and 840 produced respectively. I recommend the book as it has lots of other useful stuff.

I always like seeing a same year and color GTS as my RT/10. I love both but at the time had to pick one. Congrats and enjoy. :2tu:

OP
OP
B

bwagman

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Ben
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to the Viper Buyers Guide by Maurice Liang, there are 273 black GTS's that year with total GTS production of 949. For the RT/10, there were 259 black and 840 produced respectively. I recommend the book as it has lots of other useful stuff.

I always like seeing a same year and color GTS as my RT/10. I love both but at the time had to pick one. Congrats and enjoy. :2tu:

Thanks for the info, is this the Viper Buyer's Guide by maurice liang that has all the info? i heard of this, I think I'll pick one up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96