New Viper vs New Vette at NY Auto Show...

Jog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just came back from the NY Auto show, I had a great time. I got to see the TA Viper up close; great looking car!!. I also got to see The new Vette up close; with the exception of the Camaro Taillights the new Vette is an awesome looking car. I took some pics of both cars...Let me know whatcha think.......

You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• DSCN0361.jpg
    DSCN0361.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 176
OP
OP
J

Jog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's some more pics of the Vette and other cars....

On a side note: What do you think of The New Jeep Cherokee? I think the front is kinda weird looking....Dunno..Maybe it'll grow on me...

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics! The Vette looks nice but looks so much more tame that the Viper. Of course, I'm sure they will release the ZR1 and it may be more comparable in the looks department. As for the Jeep, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it. I'll leave it at that. :)

mgeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just stopped over during lunch...thought the Viper was awesome, the pics don't do the color justice. I thought the Vette coupe was nice, I didn't care for the vert that much. Absolutly loved the women standing next to all of these cars though :omg:

I did really like the Z28 Camaro, very nice lines and the flow of the car worked for me. Agree with the earlier comment on the Cherokee...I didn't like what they did to the front end at all.

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vancouver Auto show did not have the new Viper nor the Vette....they don't even bother with those cars here....just Minivans and other cars you find in every mall parking lot. Hope to see one in person though at a local dealer soon. I'm sure it looks absolutely stunning.

Jeep looks very different. Is that the concept?

OP
OP
J

Jog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vancouver Auto show did not have the new Viper nor the Vette....they don't even bother with those cars here....just Minivans and other cars you find in every mall parking lot. Hope to see one in person though at a local dealer soon. I'm sure it looks absolutely stunning.

Jeep looks very different. Is that the concept?

That weird looking Jeep isn't a concept car, It's actually a production car scheduled to hit showrooms in 2014. It's called The Jeep Cherokee...It's a smaller version of the Jeep Grand Cherokee....A spokesman for Jeep states that this car will be the replacement for the Jeep Liberty...

OP
OP
J

Jog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As for me..My thoughts on the New Vette...While it's a great looking car, it'll probably end up like most Vettes; a mass produced, " Everyone Has One " sports car; especially since the starting price will be around 55K......The Viper will continue to be a limited production, rare and exotic Beauty. This is one of the main reasons why I was so attracted to the car in the first place....

While everyone else is making right turns in their Vette..It's nice to be different and make lefts turn in a Viper!!... :D

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My impression of the new Cherokee is that Fiat hired the guy that Subaru fired for creating the Tribeca and he just drew a Jeep grill on it :crazy2: On the other hand I was ready to trade in my 2012 Grand Cherokee for that red Mopar accessorized Wrangler Unlimited Moab edition...

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As for me..My thoughts on the New Vette...While it's a great looking car, it'll probably end up like most Vettes; a mass produced, " Everyone Has One " sports car; especially since the starting price will be around 55K......The Viper will continue to be a limited production, rare and exotic Beauty. This is one of the main reasons why I was so attracted to the car in the first place....

While everyone else is making right turns in their Vette..It's nice to be different and make lefts turn in a Viper!!... :D

But let's not forget its half the price, so a damn good value really if Vette's are your thing.

OP
OP
J

Jog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My impression of the new Cherokee is that Fiat hired the guy that Subaru fired for creating the Tribeca and he just drew a Jeep grill on it :crazy2: On the other hand I was ready to trade in my 2012 Grand Cherokee for that red Mopar accessorized Wrangler Unlimited Moab edition...

LOL!!....I gotta agree with you on that one!... That guy from Subaru is probably living large on the payout he got from that alien design...Maybe he got some help from other guy that built the Pontiac Aztec.... :)

Last edited:

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If they can keep the price down on the Viper, it will be a hit. Learn a lesson from VW, no one will pay $100k for a Phaeton because it's a VW. Put a Bentley emblem on it and people will buy it. Corvettes and Vipers shouldn't be over $100k.

My father's had a Corvette since 1974, so I am biased toward them, but am disapointed with the new Stingray. Looks like a failed attempt to compete with European exotics. The Viper has it's own style.

Thanks for the pics!

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they can keep the price down on the Viper, it will be a hit. Learn a lesson from VW, no one will pay $100k for a Phaeton because it's a VW. Put a Bentley emblem on it and people will buy it. Corvettes and Vipers shouldn't be over $100k.

My father's had a Corvette since 1974, so I am biased toward them, but am disapointed with the new Stingray. Looks like a failed attempt to compete with European exotics. The Viper has it's own style.

Thanks for the pics!
Well, Vipers have always been in the $90k+ range, if you take inflation into account... The problem is, our money is just worth nothing anymore...

Hell, you can barely find a <$20k car anymore.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score

couldnt agree more.

I also got a chance to see Car #14 and an SRT Red track pack car today in the Boston area...gotta say pics do this machine zero justice. The shapes and curves esp on the twin port hood are **** as all hell.

viper k

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i am a viper guy but for the money the corvette is the best bang for the buck hands down!!!

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No you talk bang for the buck and that is a Mustang. The Corvette is a complete and utter fail, but for the sheep Hair Club for Men, it will be the perfect wannabe exotic. The only positives anyone can come up with for the vette is it is cheap and I can not agree more. Cheap!!!!

OP
OP
J

Jog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No you talk bang for the buck and that is a Mustang. The Corvette is a complete and utter fail, but for the sheep Hair Club for Men, it will be the perfect wannabe exotic. The only positives anyone can come up with for the vette is it is cheap and I can not agree more. Cheap!!!!

Mustangs or more in the same category as The Camaro or The Challenger. Plus the Mustang can't corner at high speeds as well as The Vette. I have to give GM credit...This new Vette is not that bad looking. In the area of Budget Friendly Mass Produced Exotics ( 55k - 65k ) there aren't many options. The only other options are: The Porsche Boxster ( 6 cylinder ) or a Lotus Elise ( 4 cylinder ).....With that being said..I'm gonna have to say that the Vette ( 8 cylinder ) is probably the best deal in the Realm of Mass Produced Budget Exotics.

Last edited:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Let me understand this correctly. The new 2013 C7 is "cheap", but your '96 is an exotic?
You seem to have an issue with corvettes.

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well, Vipers now have the SRT emblem, not Dodge, so they did put it up higher in the order. And I don't mind them being more expensive - makes them less mass market. They will still sell all of them, even if they were to ask more.....Imaging them having the same price as Vettes or Mustangs :omg: Everybody would be driving one. Is a Ford GT more car than a Viper...No. But it's very pricey and rare, that makes them more desireable. And they all sold very fast and are still holding the same value.

Considering inflation, the Vipers were always in the same price range.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Growing up I was always a Vette fan (my first car was a 71 Vette which I still have), because I liked the looks of the older ones, but I always appreciated Mopar engines and the flat out tough squared off looks of the old 60 muscle cars (hence the 67 Dart I bought). I've never liked Mustangs that much, although some do look nice and most sound pretty dang good. That being said, having been a member of the local Vette club for about 10 years now the newer ones are just kind of boring looking. Everyone in the club is buying C5's and up so there's just no variety. I'm one of the youngest guys in the club and I dang near have the oldest car. The C6 is still kind of blah to me, though better than a C5, and the C7 is a step up, but once I see them all over the roads I'll probably get tired of them. I have to give Vettes credit though, my mom's 99 is just about the most pratical vehicle in the family. It's sporty and fun to drive, has tons of cargo space (coupe) so it's easy to take grocery shopping or something, and it gets 30+ mpg cruising down the highway if you need to go somewhere.

The thing I like so much about the Viper is that it only comes in one flavor, "kill". A base model Vette is nothing to sneeze at for performance, but to compare to a Viper you have to get a top of the line ZR-1 to run toe to toe. Mustangs are even worse in my opinion. Sure you can get a 1000 hp Shelby, but it still mostly looks like grandma's V6 wannabe. You can only mod and pump up the original so much before you should have really just gotten another car to begin with. The Viper starts fast and only gets faster, end of story. It's built to do what it does from the get-go. A Mustang chassis will never out-handle a Viper unless you pretty much start all over with all the changes you have to make for it to handle the performance. I've had the same dilemma with my motorcyle. I'd love to do all the engine mods I can to it to make it faster to run with sport bikes, but in the end it would be cheaper to just buy something that has the power I want to start with.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me understand this correctly. The new 2013 C7 is "cheap", but your '96 is an exotic?
You seem to have an issue with corvettes.

I agree. I am a die-hard Viper guy, but the new Vettes rock! I think Government Motors has a hit with that one. :2tu:

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is a Ford GT more car than a Viper...No. But it's very pricey and rare, that makes them more desireable. And they all sold very fast and are still holding the same value.

Considering inflation, the Vipers were always in the same price range.

The Ford GT is not more desirable because they are rare. They are more desirable because they are better looking, well built, faster car. Just because something is rare, does not make it desirable.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Camaro Z/28 = great looking
New Vette vert = good looking
New Vette Coupe = great looking
Viper TA = A wet dream!

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Looks is always subjective, but would have to politely disagree that the Ford GT is faster --- not at Nurburgring, not at VIR, etc.

Check out VIR for fastest track times and you will see a Mustang GT 500 outrunning the Ford GT. Beautiful car, but if memory serves me a Gen III was almost it's equal, and the ACR time was 10-12 seconds faster per lap ( which is an eternity).

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YUP. And to say that something isnt desirable if its rare is crazy. I personally value exclusivity more than speed. Cars like Spyker arent the fastest but I have a friend with one and he's the only guy with one around here and man is it cool to have something no one else has. I have two buds with Ford GT's...they are outstanding machines and the values lately have gone thru the roof!!

Honestly besides performance and styling what I love most about my Gen V order is that I'm confident no one else with have one in my region with my colors and options.

On the other hand I see MB, BMW, Porsche corvette on the road constantly...yawn. When something lacks exclusivity it makes it less special. This is why I used toown a C6 ;)