New Viper YEA!!! Blowing Smoke!!!

SSpeed Racer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK guys I just bought my new Viper from Bill in Nebraska.

Thanks for all you help on the petals ajustments I fit fine in my NEW VIPER.

I am so excited to get it to the race track.

I have a question...... I broke the car in coming across the country EXACTLY the way bill told me to...never running at the same speed going through the gears for the first 200 miles at no more that 2500rpms then 200 more miles at 3500rpms and another 200 miles at no mre that 4500rpms never exceeding 80 miles an hour. Well when I got back to California I took a buddy for a ride and since it had 1800 miles on it... I ran it through the first 3 gears up to 5000 rpms came to a quick stop made a quick left turn and it sounded like the car was going to die... and then I saw a big cloud of BLUE SMOKE from the rear pipes.

This happened again yesterday ran up the Rpms came to a quick stop took off made a right turn and it sounded like the rockers were knocking and again the blue cloud of smoke. This does not sound good to me.

I put new smooth tubes on today and found oil in the stock ones this cannot be good.

Any suggestions or has this happened to anybody before??

Also the car only used 1 1/2 quarts during the enite trip.

SSpeed Racer

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Happened to me a few times, only with QUICK and hard stops. Seems that the oil puddles up and gets into the engine somehow. I'm sure someone here will go further into detail on it. Not to worry though..

Gerald

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
One wonders if your oil level was near full or a little high...in which case, during heavy braking you may "puke" oil to airbox and intake tubes. Suggest you open air boxes, check and clean them (and filters), AND be sure that oil level is above fill line but just below max line. Agree "search" is of benefit.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This happens to all new Viper owners that owned Chevys previously
laugh.gif
. Not to worry check your e-mail.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 93 Viper used to burn oil, then I switched to a premium oil (either Royal Purple or Red Line) and have not had a problem since.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely oil puke syndrome. Check the oil level to make sure you are not above max. Drain a little if you are. The first time I had to stomp on the brakes to avoid a head on, mine did this. Puked oil into the air filter box.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you can install a baffle to prevent this from re-occuring. Call or e-mail JonB at Parts Rack.

Good luck with the car.
patriotx.gif
BURNOUT.gif
BURNOUT.gif

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can actually install a puke can to help keep it from occurring, a baffle will not prevent this from happening.

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ulysses:
You can actually install a puke can to help keep it from occurring, a baffle will not prevent this from happening.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where would I get this? it looks like I have the same problem.

silverviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ted May at Valaya Racing (408-448-8811) made and installed a catch-can on my Viper, I was getting oil puke smoke while racing on track. I'd recommend his little concoction, it works quite nicely and looks pretty swell.

grayman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing to worry about. My 00 GTS runs absolutely perfect. No oil burn issues, no overheating (rock solid 190 deg no matter what). But one night was going about 60-70 mph and saw deer in road, laid on brakes pretty hard. Then accelerated back up to about 60 and saw big cloud of bluish smoke. Hasnt happened since and car runs perfect. Dont worry.

Eddie N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff Torrey:
Someone stole my identity on this thread!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you probably just dont remember making that post since this thread is 9 months old..

- eddie -

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960