New Z06's smoke Vipers?

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Re: New Z06\'s smoke Vipers?

Although a pretty healthy run, 117-119 is not a "record" run for a stock Snake. Let's wait 'til the car rags do the REAL tests before anyone snaps to a judgement call. And remember, 2002 is only ONE model year away from 2003! ... and then we will surely see who's king of the hill!!!!!!!

You must be registered for see images

KING OF ANY HILL!!!!!!

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Better yet, let's wait until we see what REAL '02s run. Test cars supplied to the car magazines are not necessarily indicative of the performance of production models.

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

if you think an 02 ZO6 is gonna "smoke" a GenII Viper, please pass me some of that glue yer sniffin!

C5 Pewter Coupe

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Will a 2002 Z06 smoke a Viper, you can't say unconditionally that it will. Get a good driver in a Z06, who launches good etc etc you know the drill against someone who misses a shift or just dosn't get the traction in the Viper, and yes the Z06 can take the Viper. Heck if the Z06 is running 118 trap speeds that could be the difference between lane changes if it would win over a Viper.

Venom 1000TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You can strap a rocket engine on a broom stick and outrun a Viper but would you really want one? Tell GM to get rid of that hideous a** end on the C5 and then, maybe then, it would be worth looking at!! Viper.... the total package including looks!!

Mark Young

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Since the topic is "new z06's smoke Vipers?", everyone's reply here is correct. There's no way it will *smoke* a Viper. I will say however that Viper owners out there should pay attention. We are talking about the 2002 Z06 here, 3118 pounds and 405 HP. It will have special sidebadges with 'Z06 405HP'. That puts the power to weight ratios of both cars close enough that it will likely come down to the drivers. Don't take this as gospel, get the latest Car & Driver, there's an article in there about it. GM is claiming a sub 4 second 0-60 time, but C&D even states that they don't believe they'll be able to get the car to actually test at those numbers.

And of course, as the point has already been made, it will still be a vette, and its taken GM until 2002 to match what the Viper had since ????
laugh.gif

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Seeing as I have destroyed many Z06s, sometimes by as much as a football field from 60-160 I don't think 20 more bhp will mean very much.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mustang,

The fastest I've seen posted on this board was 11.7x, But remember E.T. is just getting off the line. True HP is rated by the MPH, which I think that run was 120 or 121...

11.9 is a usual for experienced draggers. While your beginners will net any where from 12.2 to 12.8 or so /w traps ranging from 117 to 118

Any help guys?
Gerald

VIPERnXr4ti

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i have heard from a few places that the 01 Z06 was underrated at 385hp and the 405hp is just a more true hp rating...and the car is only a little lighter i believe with maybe a few other goodies but no actual hp increase, im not sure if i believe this but its something ive heard

robntguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Right now .... to date, all stock vipers and vettes are a blast to drive. Driver experience, and track conditions are what really matters. There are stock Z06's, that run 12.00 FLAT! - with a technique known as 'powershifting', in 60-70 degree low humidity days. The best I have ever seen a stock viper run, is 11.7 - same conditions. (only 3/10's faster)

2003 - will change all of that, for both companies ! This is why the C5, 50th Anniversary Corvette and the upcoming, C6 2004 platform are so secret.

Again - we are car lovers, that is the final answer ! (doh!)
biggrin.gif

OP
OP
Joseph Houss

Joseph Houss

VCA Officer
Reaction score

Joe (1badgts) can't reveal any more specifics (right joe?)... but all will see a great article that will surely prove the power/performance differential of the two cars. Should be out in December...maybe earlier.

I'll let everyone know!

It'll also make clear that the 2000 is no "creampuff"!

robntguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Come on bro ... just come down to the track .... I wanna meet you already dude !!!!! ...
biggrin.gif
. Where were you last night !?

/Rob

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1bad gts:
Hate to break it to you ZO6 Bliss but i observed a shootout between a 385 hp and a stock 2000 gts Same day, same expert driver running both cars,VIPER easily WON (it was always 5 tenths quicker thats about 5 car lengths in quarter.By the way 25 hp 405 will not close 5 lengths.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I love how all the guys talk about the times that WE MASSACHUSETTS GUYS ARE RUNNING!!!!
smile.gif

I ran the 11.76 a couple of months back at Englishtown, and I ran in the 11's 4 times that day - 11.76 was the best. My friend Ric has the 2001 black Z06 that ran 12.003... but even Ric will tell you that it was a one-in-a-million time for the Z06. It was a really cool day, he ran behind a big pro-dragster that left a wide patch of gooey rubber down the track. Ric runs consistent 12.4's. On good cool nights, he can get to the 12.3's and has even hit the 12.teens and 12.2's a few times as well. He runs drag radials now - his MPH always is between 113 and 115.

I have run Ric heads up 3 times. He has been drag racing for over 40 years and is VERY consistent. If I blow the launch bad enough to get a 12.5 or worse, Ric will win. If I can get a good run, I win. We both run at the track all the time, but don't usually get to line them up head-to-head.

As a point of comparison however, we were both at the track tonight. My best was a [email protected]. Ric ran a best of 12.4 I think at about 113mph. My MPH is up over 120 on a good air day, and Ric is in the mid-high 115's in MPH. Again, to be fair, Ric wasn't launching too hard because he didn't want to blow his clutch, so he was launching easier than he can.

YOU CANNOT COMPARE TIMES FROM DIFFERENT DAYS GUYS! Jeez, how many times am I going to hear that "12 flat" time for the Z06 tossed around? ONE Z06 ran ONE 12 flat run, and everyone tosses it around like THEY ran it, or that all Z06's can run it. I am not aggravated because the Z06 guys are proud - hell I would be too - it aggravates me because it is a VERY VERY good run, and truly one-in-a-million, and it is a testament to Ric's driving skill. 99.99% of drivers on 99.99% of days at 99.99% of tracks will not hit a 12.0, so please guys don't act like "Z06's can run 12 flats... I heard about it". blah...

I will say this. Ric is the nicest and most personable guy you will ever meet, and he is a MUCH better drag racer than me. The only reason I win is because the Viper is the faster car, so even if I screw up, I can still win, unless I really screw up bad. Anyone who is honest with themselves knows this. Ric and I talk about it alot - we both agree that the Viper is the quicker car - thats just a fact. We also agree that Ric is the better driver. Fact. So either of us can win, depending on how well we both do. ALL things being equal, the Viper is a good 1/2 second quicker than the Z06. I personally do NOT think the 2002 Z06 is ANY quicker than the '01. There was a '02 at the track tonight that ran a 14.7@97mph... but because the time was so ridiculously slow, I wouldn't ever try to say it was a representative time of a Z06.

Don't get too cocky guys... if you run into a Z06 driver who KNOWS how to drive, and you don't, he's probably gonna get ya. If you are equal, you smoke him.. if you are Ok and he is good, you smoke him.. if you both ****, you smoke him bad. The Z06 is NOT (IMO) tolerant of bad driving. It takes skill to run in the 12's in a Z06. Any gaboon can hit the 12's in a Viper.

Reaction score

Here we go again, the last Vette, Viper shootout the Corvettes beat out most of the Vipers. The Vipers looked like they had 60 foot problems.

We are hosting the 2nd Vette, Viper Shootout Oct 14 in Fl and are looking for Vipers to redeam themselves. The 02 Z06s will be there what about the Vipers?

You can look up the info on the events page.

Thank You
Ernie
BreathlessPerformance

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Heh heh. These weren't stock Vettes and Vipers we're speaking of. No one I've seen disputes that stock, year for year the Viper's always been the faster car in a straight line. However, there's good aftermarket support for both cars, and with sufficient cash you can make either car arbitrarily fast.

FWIW, the fastest 1/4 trap speed I've ever seen for a street-driven, stock-block Viper / Vette is 154 mph from one of Doug Levin's monster creations. The fastest 1/4 ET I've seen on video for either car (same stipulation) is SW's corvette running a 9.98. No doubt I'll hear corrections to both figures shortly on this thread.

EuG

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ARE just ran 9.80 @ 147.5MPH with their 422ci re-sleeved aluminum LS1 C5 + 200 shot.
biggrin.gif

This is through stock cats & mufflers, full weight + roll cage, hydraulic roller cam car!!!! Stock 17” rims on the front (no skinnies) btw!!!!
Check out that post

I’d say that’s impressive.
You must be registered for see images

rschiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score

SW has now run a best of 9.93 at about 146 I believe. Any street car, vette or viper that is in the 9's is impressive.

FastMatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I dont think the 2002 will be a viper stomper... I raced a 2001 Zo-6 in my 2000 ACR on Sun night, and it was not even close. I dont think 20hp is going to kick that thing that hard.

MikeDGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I took my 2001 stock Z06 (now sold) and my 2000 GTS down to the 1/4 mile on the same hot day (90 deg.). The Viper's fastest time was 12.47 @ 118, while the Z06 best was 12.98 @ 110. I dont know where these guys are getting low 12's with Z06, conditions were bad but not that bad. Unless my Z06 was less than par for some reason, it wasnt even close. Spectators at the track were amzed at how badly the Z06 got beat. The point is, the Z06 was a great car, but Ive found that GM is VERY optimistic on their performance numbers, and even the 2002 Z06 wont be able to hang with Viper on its best day.

OP
OP
Joseph Houss

Joseph Houss

VCA Officer
Reaction score

....wait....before 1bad offers a "P.S." .. first of all...the Z06 ran an 11.48 ... and that was a Press car (didn't I hear something about GM Press cars having a little extra punch?)

We know Joe (1badgts) ... if Evan was driving the '02 Z06, he might be able to turn an 11.9 .... but then again, Evan can easily turn an 11.7 in a stock Snake!

Right Joe?

...and y'know what? We have to congratulate GM for finally giving us some competition... and I'm sure within 10 years they'll be able to compete with our nextgen 2003's numbers.... or maybe not.

OP
OP
Joseph Houss

Joseph Houss

VCA Officer
Reaction score

Joe, give me the dirt! Was it as unbiased as they promised?

OP
OP
Joseph Houss

Joseph Houss

VCA Officer
Reaction score

Chalk another one up to a "creampuff"!

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph Houss:
Chalk another one up to a "creampuff"!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Give me a break! That creampuff was beating up on a vette for gods sake...

John N

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey Joe, those of us down here in the "Texas Air and Decal Club" country have never doubted stock cars in the 11's. Heck, our own Jeff Helms (amateur status drag racer) took his 2000 ACR to an 11.85 the first month he owned it. We have had some others in the 11's with stock cars also - gotta love that Tejas air!!
cool.gif

ciao

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just ask any of your Z06 owners if he wants to race for titles!End of thread!

Sonny 00 GTS ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey, last time I checked both the Z06 and the Viper had steering wheels. Come out to a ViperDays event and see the real difference between a Corvette and a Viper - not even close!

BURNOUT.gif
BURNOUT.gif

DanElam

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I play on the road courses - not the drag strips, but here is my $0.02. I have played with some on the race track and been an instructor in them with students driving.

Chevrolet has done a nice job with the Z06. Properly driven, they are every bit as good as my 95 RT (cringe: maybe slightly better). They aren't quite as a good as 96 or later GTS on the road course: the acceleration isn't quite there and the Viper's rubber allows it to get a little bit better grip around certain corners. The Z06 does have better brakes. (What else is new?)

One key difference between the cars is that the Corvette is truly civilized: very comfortable even with the hi-tech goodies. I would certainly consider driving the Corvette cross-country. It's an every day driver in ways that the Viper can't (and doesn't want to) compete.

The Viper obviously has better looks and it is - hands down - the car I would take to the night club.

I have never been a Chevrolet fan, but if I was a middle-aged guy looking for my mid-life crisis and still needed an every day car: it would have to be a consideration.

Overall I think it will benefit us in the long run: Chevrolet has clearly looked at the Viper and decided to compete. Let's hope Daimler accepts the challenge.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drock187