Newbie with lots of questions!!

snake dreams

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I'm only 17, but I've wanted a Viper ever since the intro of the '92 RT-10 when I was in fourth grade. I don't plan on purchasing one until I graduate from tech school in a few years and have a decent job, but I have some questions about them before I trick myself into thinking I can afford one.

First of all, is it that hard to afford one? I was considering maybe buying a '99 GTS in like 4 years, and was wondering if they'll be hard to afford by then due to the fact that they're ceasing production of the GTS (why Dodge?, WHY?). Also, how much are you likely to spend on insurance for a 450 hp machine when you're only 21?

Secondly, are they prone to mechanical problems? I read on here about owners having problems with getting in and out of the car and RT-10's having problems with fueling up. Is this rare? Or is it just a minor problem that's easily remedied?

How long does it take you after buying one before you want to see what it's got?
BURNOUT.gif
I'm sure it's probably hard to resist punching the gas pedal and chirping the gears on a car with that much horsepower.
devil.gif

A few other questions to wrap this up (sorry this is so long). How well do these cars perform on and off the track? What are some good accesories to consider purchasing (SC's, cat-back's, etc.) And how often do you guys drive your cars? I'm sure you probably only drive them on the nicest of days (or nights) and spend the rest of the time cleaning it or thinking about it. I know I would!
smile.gif

Thanks a lot for you time guys, hopefully I'll learn some valuable info for when it comes time to bring my own pet snake home!

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome Dreams:

This site gets many requests similar to yours. Probably the best way to get answers to your questions is to read through the voluminous number of prior answers by using the site's SEARCH function. Research on your own and then post questions that are more specific.

Not trying to push you off here, as you seem mature beyond your years. All of us were "dreamers" before we were owners. If you really want answers, the answers are already here to find.

Again, welcome and good luck with your future snake!

Scott

OP
OP
S

snake dreams

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Scott, thanks for the advice. I'll try doing some searching tonight to see if I can find some answers before going to school tomorrow. It's nice to know that there are friendly people on this board willing to help me out, even thought I am still just a "kid". Thanks again, Jay.

BlackACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Snake Dreams, what part of the country do you live in?Because, if you are near any big city you could look up one of the Viper Club meets. We have them once a month. It is a good place to start. I'm 25 now and, have had 3 Vipers. Its all about how bad you want it. Work, school and determination will always payoff.

OP
OP
S

snake dreams

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live in southern PA, probably about a two or three hour drive to either Philly or Pittsburg. I could check around and see if there are any meets and maybe make a day trip out of it. Thanks Tony.

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How far are you from Harrisburg and Carlisle?

Also, Carlisle in June should have a good Viper turnout for the Chrystler Nationals.

Ed

OP
OP
S

snake dreams

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ACELLR8, I live just south of Gettysburg, I just take a short trip up the road and turn onto 15 North and it's about a 45 min. drive to Harrisburg. I went to Carlisle last year for the Custom Comact Power Jam with my car club, and it was only about an hour drive away. I'll check into some dates when these events are and hopefully I'll be able to make it to a couple. Look for the blue '93 Ford Probe GT
embarass.gif
(I gotta drive something until I get the Viper!)

CitySnake, thanks for the compliment. It's a shame the way some people act on the internet just because nobody knows who they are.