tim bob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
justwanted to say hi to everyone.i bought a 94 red viper. i was a vette guy.but moved on up.i love my car i have had for a few months. are there any good viper techs in south florida. my car is leaking fuel. i brought it to a local dodge dealer but i still have this problem.also i would love to beef up my exhaust. without getting to crazy with $$$. hello to you all thanks
tim bob

2001-V10 Power Nut

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Welcome, where in florida are you located?? I had to have my tank replaced also!

Belanger headers & exhaust are good!!!

OP
OP
T

tim bob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow thanks for the responces.i am located in port saint lucie.i would love to send a pic not that good on computer either.but will try my car looks awesome.the guy i bought it from said always have a viper tech work on it. well i have had bad luck.

OP
OP
T

tim bob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
trying to send a pic i bet some of you will know my car.

Attachments

• viperrtf.jpg
    viperrtf.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 58

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
T.B. Welcome aboard, I see you got the fastest color. Great looking RT. Since you have had it several months i'm sure you are well aware of the usual warnings including tire warm-up as well as "old tires are hard and therefore not good for traction." Here's wishing you nothing but enjoyment on the road. You sure picked the right car for it. Congrats.:2tu:

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know your car.. well sorta... Looks just like my '94 except mine has gen II wheels now...

How's the hood? All gen I hoods eventually will form stress cracks in the paint over the latches..also, they tend to form cracks lengthwise over the center (hottest area). It's a defect caused by use of the wrong type of smoothing compound. The SMC construction material used was then covered with a filler of some type then sanded smooth before painting. It's likely to crack if it wasn't repaired properly...

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man that is a GREAT looking car. Nothing like a Gen-1! Welcome to the Viper Nation!

The Viper Club of America is THE BEST car club in the world....I sincerely hope you'll join our ranks. For the few bucks a year it costs, this club offers some amazing perks. If you have any questions about it, please don't hesitate to ask, either via the web-site, or by calling VCA HQ at 1.800.998.1110.

Check out this thread for details and directions on how to join.

http://forums.viperclub.org/new-owner-questions/603453-new-viper-owner-time-join-vca.html

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome and Congrats Tim Bob!! :2tu: RED rules!:drive:
One of the fuel leaks on GENI's is the grommet on the fuel filler tube at the tank. If you'd like, feel free to call me with your questions anytime! I also have that grommet in stock. :cool:

How's the hood? All gen I hoods eventually will form stress cracks in the paint over the latches..also, they tend to form cracks lengthwise over the center (hottest area). It's a defect caused by use of the wrong type of smoothing compound. The SMC construction material used was then covered with a filler of some type then sanded smooth before painting. It's likely to crack if it wasn't repaired properly...

This statement is not true! :nono: Not all GENI hoods develop those cracks and THEY ARE NOT "stress" cracks! They are from when the hoods were made that they did not let the fiber glass mats cure completely! They would show up in a year or in ten years. :omg: They are about two to three inchs in lenghts and in ANY direction and on ANY part of the hood. When the fiber glass mats finally dry/cure they shrink and then cracks show up. :( The ONLY way to fix them is you have to grind all the way to the mats and then fill back in: gel coat, primer & paint

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome aboard Tim Bob~!! You have a GREAT ally in Chuck Tator (he has a similar RT!)...and he's so very willing to help in any way he can...his number is 1-914-763-3136. If you join the VCA NOW, you get the rest of this year PLUS next year...it's a great bargain right now to join THE BEST VIPER car forum...for all your Viper questions and parts. Exhaust: We put the Corsa Track Exhaust on our '05...LOVED the sound and not too crazy on the $$$! ENJOY~!!! ~juli

Leatherman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Tim Bob, from the UK. I recently bought exactly the same car as you and am really enjoying it but like you I need a better exhaust note especially as mine is European spec with rear exit mufflers. After looking at various posts on this site I have decided on a set of Roe pipes with tubular headers so as soon as they are fitted I will let you know what difference they make. Your post reminded me to become a fully paid up member now I am actually an owner of an awesome machine

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Leatherman, WELCOME aboard to YOU also~!!! You can also private message your VIN# to the moderators (kcobean/lee00blacksilvergts/citysnake/y2k5srt) and they will upgrade you to VIPER OWNER. Congratulations on your purchase as well! I'm sure you will enjoy the car and good luck with the exhaust...LOVE a BADASP sound!!! Glad you are becoming a VCA Member as well, looking forward to your picture/avatar!
~~juli

Leatherman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Juli and apologies Tim Bob for hijacking the thread. I have already e.mailed Lee but I will have to get some held on posting an avtar as very computer illiterate.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Juli and apologies Tim Bob for hijacking the thread. I have already e.mailed Lee but I will have to get some held on posting an avtar as very computer illiterate.

Well, you have to be a VCA Member anyway to post your avatar...and that is actually EASY (coming from someone who is TOTALLY picture-posting-illiterate!)....you'll be able to do that once you are confirmed as a VCA Member. We'll help you out when that time comes, okay?! NO prob...juli
**the title is 'newbie', so you didn't hijack technically!**:cool:

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hi Leatherman. See this thread about next steps once you're registered with the VCA:

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/609798-i-just-joined-vca-now-what.html

and if you need Avatar help, you can email the picture to me @ [email protected] and I'll put it in your profile for you. As Juli said, it's straight forward but some folks just don't want to deal with it, which is fine.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Sandy G

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a Viper tech name is Brian O'Neal at the dealer off the Sawgrass Expressway on Commercial. They just got bought out. Call first he is out every now and than but it is a big dealship!:cool:

Leatherman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:
Hi Leatherman. See this thread about next steps once you're registered with the VCA:

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/609798-i-just-joined-vca-now-what.html

and if you need Avatar help, you can email the picture to me @ [email protected] and I'll put it in your profile for you. As Juli said, it's straight forward but some folks just don't want to deal with it, which is fine.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Thats great, thanks for the advice:

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome and Congrats Tim Bob!! :2tu: RED rules!:drive:
One of the fuel leaks on GENI's is the grommet on the fuel filler tube at the tank. If you'd like, feel free to call me with your questions anytime! I also have that grommet in stock. :cool:

This statement is not true! :nono: Not all GENI hoods develop those cracks and THEY ARE NOT "stress" cracks! They are from when the hoods were made that they did not let the fiber glass mats cure completely! They would show up in a year or in ten years. :omg: They are about two to three inchs in lenghts and in ANY direction and on ANY part of the hood. When the fiber glass mats finally dry/cure they shrink and then cracks show up. :( The ONLY way to fix them is you have to grind all the way to the mats and then fill back in: gel coat, primer & paint

I stand corrected!!!
As we all know, I am a newbie to this forum too, however, I've owned three gen1 cars in the last 8 years and all have been plagued with the crack issue.. The erroneous info. posted was relayed to my by the Viper Tech I took my first gen1 car too after the cracks appeared (obviously not a wizard!) So I apoligize..to all.

I've seen this problem in each of my vipers as well as on several others over the years. My '94 was just purchased two months ago with a perfect hood and 18k miles on the Ometer. The cracks appeared over the front latches after a 600 mile drive up and down the Blue Ridge Parkway a month later. It seems like 14 years should've been enough time for the hood to cure!! But here they are again!!

Reaction score
Tim Bob,

I live in Boynton and swear by Doug Levin. The great thing is he's got a place in Hollywood. He's reasonable, a great guy and a loyal sponsor to the VCA. Call and let him know your issue. It may be a good idea to have him give the car the once over. I guarantee once you go to Doug, you'll never want anyone else to touch it.

AND you need to join us in the South Florida VCA. We have great events that go from the Keys to Palm Beach and will even be working some central Florida events in December. I look forward to meeting up with you sometime......MY RED BROTHER!!

OP
OP
T

tim bob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for all the great advice from everyone. devil i will call doug tomorrow see what he says.my paint job is awesome i put alittle nick in it driving down 95. i have only driven it about 100 miles. know i think my hoods going to crack. i will post when cars repaired .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang