Newcomer to board....project advice?

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AKgts,
That sounds like
cool.gif
project!! When you finish her, post pics for all of us!
BURNOUT.gif

You must be registered for see images

PBJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AKgts,
I like the 3.55 gears better than the 3.07 for the fact that you are in the power band at all times. Third, forth , and fifth are much more responsive with the gear change. You can get a 3.55 for your 8 3/4 anywhere. If you change the cam, you will definitely want more gear... the power band will most likely move up. As far as cams, RSI & TNT both sell custom cams, and Comp & Crower both sell off the shelf cams. On the headers, I have a set of TNT stepped and they are great... check out their site for the specs on what Roy has to offer. It sounds like a killer project, make sure to post the pics !!!
Later,
Joe

PBJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AKgts,
The top end charge is awesome !!! It takes nothing to hit 140 at the end of forth. I hate to say it, but I don't drive the car too much in fifth or sixth to know what rpm is at 60... Everytime I am in it, I feel like a kid with a new toy !!! With the 3.07 gears I never used sixth gear at all. I can tell you this, I have put together a lot of LS1 cars with a t56 and 4.10 gears and they are incredible !!! If I am not mistaken, with a 26 inch tall tire most of them were around 1600-1800 rpm at 60 mph in sixth. I would have gone with more gear, but traction is such a major issue with a viper... If you are doing a 4 link set up with a decent size tire, I would do at least a 3.70 gear, if not more.
Later,
Joe

Reaction score
In my 97GTS I had 3:54's. I did not like the additional shifting especially on road courses. I see no reason to change from the 3.07. I have a 99 ACR with a few mods and run a stock rear gear. It is quite nice to run at 60-70 on the freeway at lower RPM's-the lower db makes freeway driving much nicer. The massive torque of the Viper will melt all the asphalt you want. My $.02 Do a search as this is not a new topic. Dan Cragin (long time and very good Viper tuner) had some interesting comments on the topic a some time back, year++.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 3.55 in my 94 Viper. I like it better than the 3.07 that I had. I can now use 6th in normal driving. With Viper size tires you will be at about 1200 rpm in 6th at 60 mph. I don't usually use 6th till about 64 mph or so.
As for the engine mods, it's hard to beat nitrous. The heads and cam route will be much more expensive and you'll never get the power that nitrous will give. You have forged pistons in that engine and the bottom end of the engine is rock crusher tough. You might consider changing the head gaskets to the new type if it hasn't been done.
Just my opinion, a good project would be to take that engine and put it in a Viper. You'll get way more attention that way.