NGK spark PLugs

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My dad won't use anything else on his cars. My dad has been a mechanic/gear head for MANY years. They are what comes stock on most imports, and domestics. Granted we don't own a Viper though. Nor do we don't have a dyno test, but they run well, and no failures.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they make one that suits the Viper I'd try it. It is the only plug I trust on high performance engines - they are very well made. Tuners here swear by them and claim they get much better results than using the AC or Champions.

The Ricers got those babies right - you just gotta choose the right one.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Used them on the Z06. A much stouter electrode and insulator as compared to the stock AC/Delco plugs.

Since the vast majority still use the lawnmower Champs, I'll stick with them until a new majority sings the praises of something else!

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use em.....No problems...I needed a better plug for my big ol shot of gas.

The stockers are an accident waiting to happen if you run Nitrous.

Regards,

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should always measure the gap in every spark plug. When I did mine in the Mazda, they were only off by a hair.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Better to concentrate on getting the Champions indexed ... (mine are!)

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use em.....No problems...I needed a better plug for my big ol shot of gas.

The stockers are an accident waiting to happen if you run Nitrous.

Regards,

Ditto...I'm on the NGK's...due to the laughing gas...and mine are gapped at 0.0325"...roughly :D

Richard K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had NGK's in my car since VOI5. One of the tuners out there (White Lightning Racing) put them in when I had work done in Vegas. They swore by them, and I haven't had any problems.

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't really think all the replies would be this unanimous. I guess it does show how well these plugs perform.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the stoutness in construction of the NGK's are good for cars that have gas, but for a stock Viper it looks like the Champions work fine.
Now for those using the NGK's, are you all using the NGK recommended replacement #, or a hotter / colder plug?

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you guys use with nitrous? For instance, what NGK plug is 2 steps colder? I can't remeber what I used, but I think it was a ZFR6F11. Does that sound right?

Alternative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard that ZFR6F-11 (stock# 4291) is 1 step colder. I also heard that the NGK OEM equivalent is ok to use with nitrous, NGK FR5-1 (stock# 7252). I gathered this info from VCA members using these plugs.

I called NGK today and spoke to their Tech Support rep, and he recommended these plugs for nitrous application:
100+ shot - BKR6E stock # 6962 (1 step colder)
200+ shot - BKR7E stock # 6097 (2 steps colder)
This makes it even more confusing choosing the correct plugs. Anyone using these BKR series plugs on their nitrous injected Viper?

I believe "ButchTheSnake" conducted a test, I hope he can chime in.

GTzViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would super chargers run better with 1 step or 2 step colder plugs? Anyone have NGK's tec. support phone #?
I tried the FR 5-1 stock # 7252. They are the ones recommended on their web site.
The weird thing is before I tried them I had a big problem with cold starts and idle spiking every few seconds and lets not forget every ones favorite idle hang!
Well, as soon as I switched from the platinums to the NGK's everything went back to normal!Not one idle problem!!
The only down side I found was at 95 degrees outside temp. I was getting some pinging at 4000rpm.
This is why I'm trying to find a colder NGK.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 7252 is listed as the oem equivalent, however, a close examination will show an electrode with more mass and a tip that protrudes less. This plug does very well on NOS, whereas, the oem plug is a time bomb on NOS.

I just dynoed at 458 hp (NA) with the NGK's, the car just has headers and T&D's. With the same plugs the car does 640 hp/800 ft lbs on the bottle. My stock Gen 1 did a 410 hp (NA) with the same plug and just headers/exhausts. Summit ships next day and they have them in stock.