Nitrous experts, please help on wiring schematic...

Alternative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found some product installation procedures at NX's website, and I put a basic system together based on the diagrams. It's a basic wet kit with purge valve and MSD rpm switch. Here's the wiring diagram I put together:
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-6/239653/nxsystemwiringII.jpg

A few questions:
1. Is my wiring diagram correct?
2. Where (easiest spot on the Viper) do I tap the Tach signal wire from the MSD RPM switch?
3. I heard that the fuel pressure switch doesn't work well in the Viper. If I decide not to install it, do I connect the wire intended to the fuel pressure switch from the relay to a ground source?

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wasn't able to pull up your wiring diagram.
You can pick up the RPM signal from one of the grounding wires to the coils,
at the PCM - you can find the info to do that in illustrated upgrades -
shift light install.
If you don't use the fuel pressure switch - ground the wire that was supposed
to go to it.

Make sure your MSD RPM switch has been converted to 2 cylinder.

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fuel pressure switch can cause intermitent 'flashing' of the kit. I disabled mine in the first week of having an NX kit. When the fuel solenoid opens the pressure drop is enough to make the switch enable and cause a cyclic hitting of the N2O - I suggest a MECHANICAL fuel pressure gauge and train one eye to look at it whenever you run the kit. Mount the gauge outside the car (or at least check your local track rules - Vegas required it outside the car or the use of an isolator)

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take a look at the schematic that follows. This should contain all NOS components plus all accessories. It is electrically correct and also gives the physical juxtaposition of the individual parts. In some cases it also gives part numbers and PCM connection points. If you look at my image gallery you will also have access to photo's showing details of the system and component parts. The key to making this installation reliable and neat is using a terminal block. There is also a picture of the terminal block.

The resolution is not good due to the limitation of the Image Gallery Upload size.

96Viper_NOS_Schematic_3LR_Sized.jpg

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone else think its a concern to be asking for nitrous installation advice over the internet? :eek: :eek:

No offense, but if you have questions, take the car to a reliable shop that has done this type of work before and let them HELP you. As well intentioned as everyone may be, they are not looking at YOUR car and cannot tell how you will interpret their advice. This is not like a radio installation or a cookbook article for wiring the mystery switch to the garage door.

This is SCARY! :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Janni, I understand your concern, but many of us don't have
access to someone that does nitrous installation on Vipers.
And as 'scary' as the internet advise sounds, it is less
scary than what could happen if you took your car to a local shop. YOU WORK ON YOUR BRAKES - to some that is
'SCARY'. - WHY DON'T YOU JUST TAKE IT TO A SHOP. where
a 'professional' can do it right. Get the point. ;)

In addition, the end result of an installation is that a solenoid(s) are
turned on and off at a certain RPM range at WOT. This is easily verified
under the hood before you get on the street.
It may be better to let a professional N2O installer(like JackB) guide you through it here, than chance it to a local NOS-R-US chop.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Janni:

"No offense" but, I just did a search for a "reliable shop that has done this type of work " and it doesn't exist, what do you suggest?. I don't understand, you hold the holy grail atop your antenna about the 998 recall and the lack of extpertise and then you reccommend that anyone who wants to install NOS, just, find a NOS expert. No offense, however, some of us just like to honestly help others.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I for one really appreciate the schematic. :laugh:

My friend/mechanic will be installing a NX system with the WOT switch, windows switch, fuel pressure switch (maybe), heater, remote opener, and NOS progressive controller, in a week or so, and this writeup in addition to a couple other NX install threads/tutorials are invaluable to me.
http://www.boydtech.com/personal/

There certainly are shops that specialize in N2O installs, but they are usually familiar with other makes of cars.
And even though the install is similar, the differences are notable for a Viper install.

So again thanks.

-Dean.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone else think its a concern to be asking for nitrous installation advice over the internet? :eek: :eek:

No offense, but if you have questions, take the car to a reliable shop that has done this type of work before and let them HELP you. As well intentioned as everyone may be, they are not looking at YOUR car and cannot tell how you will interpret their advice. This is not like a radio installation or a cookbook article for wiring the mystery switch to the garage door.

This is SCARY! :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Only for a women... :D This is typical MALE behavior !!

-Jon

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Janni:

"No offense" but, I just did a search for a "reliable shop that has done this type of work " and it doesn't exist, what do you suggest?. I don't understand, you hold the holy grail atop your antenna about the 998 recall and the lack of extpertise and then you reccommend that anyone who wants to install NOS, just, find a NOS expert. No offense, however, some of us just like to honestly help others.

Honestly, Jack? An improper 998 recall won't blow up your car and/or house. The recall needs to be done by a Viper tech, so your choices are limited, and since most cars just need the reimforcement and not the repair, you can take your time and look around. I really don't see how this equates to flying the flag about the lack of competence. And my guess is that there are NOS experts around - maybe not Viper NOS, but certainly folks who have safely installed NOS systems.

There is a WEALTH of nitrous information on this website - Tom Welch, TOOFAST, and a few other tuners who, my guess, would be glad to help and would have the experience to assist in making correct and safe decisions. I'd much rather see someone ask THEM than open it up to the studio audience, who may or may not have ever even done a nitrous install.

Apples ... Oranges.

Oh, and "no offense."

Chuck B 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why can't you find a good race shop with plenty of nitrous experience to install your nitrous system? They don't have to know everything about Vipers but have good knowledge dealing with nitrous installs. Janni is right, you can get good advice on the Internet but that's not everything. There's a lot more to nitrous than just installing it. Pay for an experienced nitrous guy to help you or deal with the consequences later. :usa:

Cheers,
Chuck

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why can't you find a good race shop with plenty of nitrous experience to install your nitrous system? They don't have to know everything about Vipers but have good knowledge dealing with nitrous installs. Janni is right, you can get good advice on the Internet but that's not everything. There's a lot more to nitrous than just installing it. Pay for an experienced nitrous guy to help you or deal with the consequences later. :usa:

Cheers,
Chuck

LOL, be prepared to take your Viper manual to the shop, :confused: Oh- and you might want
to dog-ear the appropriate pages and high-lite the wires to tap. The Viper's
ignition and wiring, set it apart from all else - if you don't believe me
check out the aftermarket nitrous accessories - 90% can't be adapted to work on
the Viper and the other 10% have to be specially modified by the manufacturer. Most of the Viper nitrous installers picked up their first
info - here on the VCA forum, and applied that - and it seems to work.

Gosh, it's a kit - with instructions - :)

b3rndtt0ast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
janni and chuck... ever think he might like to work on his own car? the only part of a n2o is the tunning, gotta go to a dyno with a sniffer :-D

-dan

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeez, people, I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST PEOPLE WHO WANT TO WORK ON THIER OWN CARS, but I think that an old fashioned phone call to an expert on something as critical as wiring a nitrous installation is more in order than written advice from the forum members.

I cannot tell you the nubmer of times we've CALLED Tom Sessions to ask things about the car because HE'S THE EXPERT. I'll ask people here about wiring your brights and fog lights, etc., but important stuff warrants a phone call to an expert if you are not 100% comfortable.

Advice here is invaluable, but I think having an expert on standby for some more involved help is a good thing here, that's all.

I hope that I am overestimating the complexity of the install and Alternative's questions are routine and have been sufficiently answered.

Now get out there and wrench on your own cars!

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Janni:

This will be my last reply, it is obvious you are lacking technically and do not understand even the basics of NOS. I do agree with you, I did a serarch and came up with 50,000 blown up houses (in Viper households) because the people you know didn't install the sytems.

Have a good night and don't park your car near a NOS car.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup, that's me - lacking technically.

And yup, I don't understand how to install a NOS system. but I do know that if I wanted to, I'd ask a professional that hangs out here for help.

And since you appear to be done insulting me, I'm out, too.