Nitto NT05 "Mini-Review" - 2008 Roadster

F

FrgMstr

Finally got to "drive" my 2008 Roadster that I purchased in MN in October. Spent most of the day Saturday with Three Twisted Sisters down Kerrville way in south Texas.

The Gen IV car came with the stock Michelin Pilot Sports still on the car. Did not like these at all. And I came from a Kumho Ecsta XS on my Gen III 2005 Roadster for comparison.

I put Nitto NT05 295/35/18 tires up front, and Nitto NT05 335/30/19 out back. Nitto does not make a 345 wide tire for this car.

Dom426h has some stellar input as to why I made this choice.

You must be registered for see images

After spending all day with the NT05 tires on the Sisters, with sunny skies, and temps in the low 50s, I could not be happier with my purchase. (I was waiting for the Pilot Super Sports, but made my buy two weeks before those finally came out, now I am not sad that I did.) The Nitto NT05 offered tremendous grip in the corners. I found it hard to comfortably push these to the limits, so I did not get a lot of experience with how forgiving these are or how much warning these give you before breaking away. But what I do know if that these NT05 tires stick in the corners better than my previous Kumho XS tires. The car was tracking corners like it was on rails. Looking forward to getting these on the track soon.

The NT05 were roughly $1200 locally. My next set I will go with the Michelin Super Sports, just to have a basis for comparison. But I am extremely happy with how well the NT05 tires corner.

And these were pretty damn good in the wet weather going home once the slush melted off the road. Much better wet than I expected.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good review. I was wondering what to do for my next round of rubber on my '08. Both sets of rims (street , track0 are about ready for some fresh rubber.

lmcgrew79

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 345's seem to look a bit stretched even on the factory rim. Side wall leaning inward. How much more does this effect take place on a 335?

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 345's seem to look a bit stretched even on the factory rim. Side wall leaning inward. How much more does this effect take place on a 335?

Are you running Invo's now? I know the 335 NT05 is almost exactly the same width as the 345 Invo.

OP
OP
F

FrgMstr

Yes, these lean in a little bit, but not enough to be disconcerting. I will try to shoot some pics next time I get her out.

OP
OP
F

FrgMstr

Took some pictures for you on the rears. Hopefully these shots give you what you are looking for. No roll at all onto the sidewall after very aggressive driving.

These have a bit more lean to the sidewalls than the 345/30-19 Kumho XS did, but not much.

Longdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i was quite impressed by how well they do in low temps. i drove on nt-05s in low 30s/wet conditions -and while there is obviously not that much grip to be had, they were still pretty predictable.

at the track, like most street tires, they do not like to get too hot. they get into what feels like a sweet spot within a lap or two, then start gradually going away, but at least without the drama than you get on pilot sport 2s if you beat up on them real hard. they like to squeal real loud too once warmed up - which is amusing at first, but gets annoying after a while - since they do it well before they reach the actual traction limits.

great street tires, OK track tire if you don't feel like you need to push it all the way. really good low temp/wet tire for what it is.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drock187