Nitto NT05's on their Viper?

msp282

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have these tires on my RX8.... of course the RX8 has zero torque.... but the Nitto's handle pretty well and i have over 10k miles on them...and they come in the proper sizes for my 2009 ACR..... they are about $300 cheaper than the Michilin Super Sports.....are the Michilins worth the $300 more? do the Michelins handle as well?

thanks

You must be registered for see images

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Know quite a few guys running the NT05s on Vettes and Mustangs , and they comment they are great for both track and street. The new Michelin Super Sports is getting the same kind of rep, though they are a bit higher priced -- they would likely be a better tire in the rain.

F

FrgMstr

Know quite a few guys running the NT05s on Vettes and Mustangs , and they comment they are great for both track and street. The new Michelin Super Sports is getting the same kind of rep, though they are a bit higher priced -- they would likely be a better tire in the rain.

MSS is a LOT better in the weather than the NT05.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rain performance, specifically resistance to hydroplaining, is directly related to the depth of tread and amount & width of circumferential tread grooves/gaps.

A used tire with minimal of no tread depth will hydroplain quicker than nearly any comparable make at new full tread.

Also important is the weight of the vehicle and overall width of the tire. With how wide our rears are we're more likely to hydroplain than a vehicle of the same weight with skinnier tires. I remember once coming back from VA to DE in the pouring rain with near bald tires on the viper and not being able to go above 50mph or so.:omg:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks guys , realize the Michelin is much better in the rain, just trying to be polite. From guys that have run the Nittos at one of the tracks I frequent, it is not bad in the rain though -- better than something like a R6 Hoosier or the Pilot Sport Cups for instance.

OP
OP
M

msp282

Viper Owner
Reaction score
thanks for the replies! I don't drive very far away from home in my car so i am not too concerned about rain driving.... sounds like i will save the $300 or so (over the Michelins) and go with the NT05's.... :)

pumpgas

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nitto NT05R's on the back of a 700 rwhp 06'. 1st gear hooks very good with a steady roll on the throttle with just minimal tire spin and 2nd gear has no spin at all. NT05's up front. Car rides much smoother too.

I never drive in the rain though so can't speak to how that would be with the Nitto drag radials.

The tires are much "fatter" than the michelin's on the rim too!

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nitto NT05R's on the back of a 700 rwhp 06'. 1st gear hooks very good with a steady roll on the throttle with just minimal tire spin and 2nd gear has no spin at all. NT05's up front. Car rides much smoother too.

I never drive in the rain though so can't speak to how that would be with the Nitto drag radials.

The tires are much "fatter" than the michelin's on the rim too!

What sizes are you running? I don't see a 345/30-19 anywhere.

Herc

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What sizes are you running? I don't see a 345/30-19 anywhere.

Herc

Found it. Missed the Rs on the back. But found no 345/30-19 in the NT05s. How are the Rs in corners? I assume a bit soft.

doug fresh

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I run the NT05R's, they are great for traction but handle horrible, ass end gets real loose. actually called Nitto the other day and was told its because of the soft sidewall of the tire. I used to run the hoosier's and they handled great and gave me traction after getting them warmed up, and making about 850 rwhp. anything over that, no traction. Now making 1000+ rwhp, Nitto's hook much better, but have to be careful on the clover leafs...lol

pumpgas

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They are totally fine (handling wise) with 40psi. At the track or on the street if you know that you will be launching, 25-30 psi. Normal driving 40 psi. Best tires I have ever had on a High HP car......bar none.

I have even driven in the rain with them a few times (florida showers) albeit carefully. No messing around though in those conditions. Ideally, these are dry weather tires.

Viper808

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They are totally fine (handling wise) with 40psi. At the track or on the street if you know that you will be launching, 25-30 psi. Normal driving 40 psi. Best tires I have ever had on a High HP car......bar none.

I have even driven in the rain with them a few times (florida showers) albeit carefully. No messing around though in those conditions. Ideally, these are dry weather tires.

Pumpgas are you talking about the NT05"R"s or the NT05 ? as the best tire you ever had on a high HP car.

I have the stock 2010 Pilot sports. cant keep em from spinning... I want to get the NT05R's for the rear as I only drive the car occasionally and when I do I want to hook up.
However , once in a while ill take a 1-2 hour highway trip.. How are the "R"s on the highway cruzing?

Thanks Bob V

pumpgas

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bob, yes I havethe NT05R's on the back. 345's. They are totally fine on the highway, I airthem up to 40-42psi for a cruise. 25-30 psi if I am going to be getting on itfrom low speeds. After 10 minutes of driving you can roll into thethrottle in 1st gear aggressively and they will stay planted very well,absolutely no wheel hop EVER. Back end stay planted very well and never steps out. 2nd gear you can hammer as hard as you want and Ihave never been able to make them spin at the low psi when warm. This is with 694rwhp and 645rwtq.

Viper808

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nice! Thats what I am looking for.....

Its hard enough modulating the throttle to prevent wheel spin in first place ...add the wirless throttle body actuation delay and its just a pain in the ass to get this car to do what I want when I want...guess I need more practice:drive:

OP
OP
M

msp282

Viper Owner
Reaction score
small pic.... Nitto's were delivered yesterday! Thanks VPA! Super fast shipping and great price!

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
M

msp282

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i finally got the tires on my ACR today.... i only drove 10-15 miles but they definately have a more pleasant ride.... it was about 60F here and they hooked up pretty well even in 1st gear.... thumbs up from me so far for the NT05's!

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sell a lot of NT05 tires to customers, none have complained about them. For the price, they are excellent. They are not too bad in rain, either. The only negative about the NT05 vs the popular Invo tire is that the NT05 are noisier on the highway. They grip better than the Invo tires.

The NT05-R drag radials grip awesome for big hp cars, but are terrible for curves, and horrific in wet conditions. Not talking about hydroplaning, either. Even on a damp surface, most drag radials become slippery and do not grip. The only somewhat decent wet use drag radial out there is the Nitto NT555R.