No more Zaino!, No more Zaino!, No more...

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve...who wrote the silicone myth article? By the look of
the picture surrounding...I would say, Meguiars'.

Matt,

You could be right about the article's author. I'm no expert, but just for the heck of it, I scanned through a whole bunch of web site pages on car care stuff. I only found about 2 or 3 sites that panned silicone. Here's a little article I found at one place which I thought somewhat unbiased.

Silicone vs. silicone-free products: I've heard that silicone-based polishes and waxes are bad for paint. Is this true?

This is a long-standing myth that has circulated among everyday folks and professionals that proves to be unfounded. Since there is much concern as to whether silicone is good or bad we felt the need to confirm this information with BASF: the parent company of Germany's leading paint brand Glasurit GmbH. Glasurit is used by the majority of European car manufacturers from Volkswagen to BMW to Jaguar.

Silicone-based products are only harmful to new paintwork that is between 60-90 days old. During this period, fresh paint is still releasing solvents. This process is termed "off-gassing". The silicone in silicone-based polishes and waxes will clog the pores of the paint preventing solvents from releasing properly. This in turn prevents the paint from curing (drying) properly and achieving full gloss and depth of color. For this reason, einszett offers silicone-free polish and wax in their Pro-Line of products for use by paint shop professionals. So unless your paint is new, take advantage of the enhanced appearance and results high quality silicone produces on your paintwork. If you still have a concern, feel free to contact BASF's technical support at 1.800.825.3000.

Note: Keep in mind that in addition to avoiding silicone-based products on fresh paint, also avoid using polymer sealants which contain acrylic. Since polymer sealants produce a semi-permanent coating, concern runs higher if applied on curing paint.

The wax I use says it is a high gloss Carnauba wax--no mention of silicones on the bottle. It is the best I've used to date. It was recommended to me by a car builder/restorer who does jobs which can easily run into 6 figures on labor alone. He had no allegiance to any one product, but had tried this and had satisfactory results. That was a couple years ago. He could be using something different by now. The bottom line is....I refuse to go through a multi step time consuming process when the time would be better spent driving the car.

Steve

OP
OP
N

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Meguiar's offers a full refund on it's new NXT products! If you don't like it, return it!

I really loved Zaino. REALLY!!!!!

I was just tired of taking a whole weekend to use mutiple steps! I hated the dry time. The new stuff you had to mix up, total pain!

NXT is a Engineered Synthetic Polymer.

They call it Tech Wax for marketing purposes.

One coat and you are DONE! ( very good for my twisted golfing spine)

I rather be driving, then waxing... :2tu:

www.meguiars.com

453IMG_0738-med.JPG

King RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just tried the NXT on my Black Viper and it does work great.
Very easy to use with an incredible shine. Now lets see how it holds up to the Fl. Sun?

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use meguiars #7 polish and it works great...a bit hard to remove but who cares. The bottle also says..."paintable" safe for use in a body shop environment.

PRVT JET

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I really don't care how long it lasts, how many of you actually wax their cars only twice a year? I do it atleast twice a month.

OP
OP
N

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From the test:

"The wash consisted of a very mild P21S Bodywork Shampoo solution, a brand new Viking 100% cotton chenille wash mitt and a blotting with a new DFTowel Natural fiber microfiber towel. No quick detailers were used after the wash."

The results of the test are invalid, because the wash used was NOT compatible with the Zaino, #20 or NXT. Each of these products have there own car wash product formulated specifically to enhance durability and shine. P21S Shampoo will have, for lack of a better term, chemically altered off some of the Zaino, #20 and NXT product. If you are going to test products, you need to stick with the same brand through out.

I wouldn't wash the Zaino with Meguiars Gold Class. I wouldn't wash the NXT with Zanio's Z7. I hope they go back and conduct a valid test.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PRVTJET...I agree when it comes to the Viper. when not in use, mine is covered and garaged. So, I only need to polish the car a few times a year.

I do care about how long a wax lasts as I use it on all my cars...especially those that have to be outside 24-7.

My '94 Bronco still looks fabulous with it's original paint partially because I use good products and stay after it. In fact, I was asked yesterday "who painted it?". When I said Ford Motor Company...I got the deer in the headlights look.

Newport....I find the test certainly interesting as well as valid. I would disagree with the comment about using a maker's wash soap. I know that the P21s (while I do not use it) is very gentle and does not strip wax. Since reading your post about NXT..I have been reading any post I happened to come across about it. The consensus of the posts I have read regarding NXT have been that it does not last any time at all on a car that is outside. they all say it has a good shine, though. Since the same soap was used on all polishes...maybe this test says something about a polish's ability to withstand weather, soap, etc.

Again...not only do I want the best for my Viper...which leads a fairly pampered life...but for my day to day cars that I want to look their best and be protected as best they can from acid rain, etc.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just started using NXT today. So far I really like it, will take pictures after I am done with entire car. Goes on very easy and comes off just as easy. Left a very nice shine. One of the best I have tried. :2tu:

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate to get in the middle of this again...but there were some posts about NXT recently at some other forums. Most seemed to think that it did not last long, at least on cars in the weather. Typical of a silicone wax.

Also, I did both my Cobra and Bronco today with Zaino, of course they look great with it...but I can't figure out why some complain about how long Zaino takes to apply. If you discount the time you spent in "prep", such as washing, and using claybar...Zaino takes no longer than any other.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Newport.....no need to try NXT. No need to argue either. Both of us have our preferred polishes, and that's what makes America. Some like chocolate, some vanilla.

There have been many glowing reports of NXT, and if those that use it are happy with it...I think that is exactly what they should use. All the best. I have even heard that after the NXT "cures" overnight...it looks even better. I read on another site that it "clouded" on some colors. I am always interested in a new wax type product, as I always want the best for my vehicles. If something came out that I thought was better...I'd switch.

My only reason for posting in the first place was to let others know what I understood was in NXT. And so far, no one has disputed that.

My gripe is more with the silicone aspect. Here's why. I have an old friend who is a wholesaler. One of their tricks is to spray the car with Stoner Tire spray (silicone). Shine? Like you wouldn't beleive. Cover oxidation? Done. Hide defects like swirls? Gone. Well....until it rains.

All that said, if I found that NXT did not contain silicone...you bet I'd try in a skinny minute.

Newport...all the best to you...my fellow Viper owner...let's just agree to diagree on this one.

OP
OP
N

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matt when you read this my tone is very soft/ respectful, even if the words are not. I want this in no way to get personal. We have the common bond of the almighty VIPER. It seems car wax can be a very heated debate.

Newport.....no need to try NXT. No need to argue either. Both of us have our preferred polishes, and that's what makes America. Some like chocolate, some vanilla.
Now that we know your stance. Stop trying to scare others in this thread. Bring Facts. Let other owners judge for themselves.

There have been many glowing reports of NXT, and if those that use it are happy with it...I think that is exactly what they should use. All the best. I have even heard that after the NXT "cures" overnight...it looks even better. I read on another site that it "clouded" on some colors.
Please show proof before you try to damage a products reputation. It seems you listen to too many other people.

I am always interested in a new wax type product, as I always want the best for my vehicles. If something came out that I thought was better...I'd switch.
That's why I tried NXT.
Read here... the hell I got when, I wanted nothing but Zaino on my car. Just to show you how loyal I was to the big Z. Like I said, I TRIED something different and was my own judge.
http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30266&highlight=scottsdale

My only reason for posting in the first place was to let others know what I understood was in NXT. And so far, no one has disputed that.
Who is this expert you listened to? Did they do a lab, or they are just making it up to spread some kind of unwarranted fear?
How do we know there isn't something in Zaino and other waxes that would harm our paint? Has Sal come on and posted what is in his formula? There could be silicone( not that it matters) in it, and he is just snowing us...

My gripe is more with the silicone aspect. Here's why. I have an old friend who is a wholesaler.
Please read this again, http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=42
then post when you find something to dispute this. I am opened minded enough to hear otherwise.

One of their tricks is to spray the car with Stoner Tire spray (silicone). Shine? Like you wouldn't beleive. Cover oxidation? Done. Hide defects like swirls? Gone. Well....until it rains.
Isn't that why we polish our cars. To make them shine.
Durability holds no water for "most" Viper owners. They will garage them. They will detail/ rewax after a rain or two. How often do you add a coat? I bet like me, alot. We both like to keep em shiny!

All that said, if I found that NXT did not contain silicone...you bet I'd try in a skinny minute.
Look at it this way. Someday both you and I know something will come out that is better then both!

Newport...all the best to you...my fellow Viper owner...let's just agree to diagree on this one.
No question we disagree. So I will keep telling the people of NXT, and you Zaino. So when we post new threads, I will stay out of yours--- if you stay out of mine. :2tu:

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

Hmm, me thinks that be Crystal Cove?

Newport Viper, did McGuires ever respond about their ingredients?

OP
OP
N

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes the Cove! A meeting place thst is more exciting then any auto show!

McGuires have kept their fomula a secret., just as most wax companies do. They saw this thread was turning into a this guy said this, that guy said that debate. They don't want to get in the middle of it. They like to keep it light and fun as this shows. http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=164
I guess we blew it,? to get them to come on here.

Anyone is free to go to their web site and call in to ask a question.

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I might just have to enter this fray. I was about to buy a bunch of Zaino stuff for the spring, but I am a lazy man, and don't like the idea of mixing the stuff and then applying multiple coats of different products.

I did quite a bit of reading and the consensus is that the initial results of the NXT are as good as Zaino... I will try the stuff and see how long it holds up.

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score
No opinions yet but the temp hit 57 in NY and gave the car good wash and tried the NXT. It was for me one of the easiest wax jobs I have ever done. Car looks great. The car will never be in bad weather as one other member pointed out so it doesn't really matter to me how it holds up against the elements. I was happy to get it clean, super shined and hit the road !!!!

Went on the same as most waxes, came off easier with very little dust.

Mike_W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just used the NXT and it is finally sunny here a bit. Man, it shines like crazy.

Mike

Firecat F7 Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
have been using Meguiars Gold Class with great results but will now try NXT. Just hope the red shines as much as the yellow.
Durability is not an issue for me if in fact it dosen't hold up very long.
I am also not afraid of silicone if it contains any......I am sure I have used silicone containing products in past on other cars with no ill effect. Plus I love my wifes silicone.........J/K the're real!!
As far as armor all(harm it all) is concerned. It would seem like silicone could possibly be harmful to vinyl as some of you have commented but I have used it for 19 years on my Camaro dash and have no cracks or fading whatsoever and this car sits outside baking in the sun and has never been garaged. Maybe I have just been lucky...I don't know.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang