Noise Coming From Under The Valve Covers

VIPER650R

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I Have A 99 Hennessey 650r. I Had My Hood Off Today And There Is Quit A Bit Of Noise Coming From Under The Valve Covers. Car Runs Fine But When Pushing On Throttle You Can Hear Noise Coming From Under Valve Covers. I Live In Fresno Ca Central Ca And Don't Know Any Viper Mechanics.

This Is Also My First Viper Is This Normal Or Does Something Need To Be Adjusted. Any Help Please Thanx

OP
OP
V

VIPER650R

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I Believe It Does, Not Sure. I Guess I Have To Remove Valve Covers To See.

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should bring your car down to Buttonwillow raceway this Sat or Sun. There will be about 6 Vipers racing and there will be (2) Viper Techs there as well prepping/supporting our cars. They might be able to take a peak at your car in between sessions.
-Jonathan

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rocker noise seems to be pretty pronounced on Vipers ....is the noise coming from all points under the covers about equally or is it in one location on one side? The former would probably be normal, someone from the VCA can listen to it for ya and tell you if its normal...or you could go to their placve and have a listen to theirs. If its site specific, pull the covers and have a look.

OP
OP
V

VIPER650R

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanx For The Help. I Wish Ic Ould Come Down This Weekend. I Have To Work. Weekend After Thanksgiving Is Busiest Weekend Of Year In The Car Buisness.

The Noise Is Evenly Spread Through Out. Theres Not A Single Point Louder Than The Other

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanx For The Help. I Wish Ic Ould Come Down This Weekend. I Have To Work. Weekend After Thanksgiving Is Busiest Weekend Of Year In The Car Buisness.

The Noise Is Evenly Spread Through Out. Theres Not A Single Point Louder Than The Other

Usually only one rocker will have a major issue at a given time. Does it seem that there is one much louder than the others? Has the oil pressure dropped a little below normal.

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stop by and see Marv Rose at DodgeVipersforsale.com there in Fresno. He can tell you if your noise is something to worry about or not. He knows a lot about Vipers.

Don't know how I got his info in here 3 times??????? Please forgive me.

:)

Marvin H. Rose, Sales & Leasing Co, Inc.
5070 N. Sixth
Fresno, CA, 93710
Office Phone - 559-226-3500
Cell Phone - 559-917-7165

5070 N. Sixth
Fresno, CA, 93710
5070 N. Sixth
Fresno, CA, 93710

OP
OP
V

VIPER650R

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry, I Meant What Should The Pressure Be At On Pressure Gauge?

Venom-US

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oil pressure should be around 10+psi at idle and 45-75psi at 3000+ rpm

I have your setup so more than likely you have T&D roller rocker arms. I thought mine were loud as well, but it's normal w/ roller rocker arms. Between the fuel injection and the rocker arms noise, it seems like the rocker arms need adjusted. Unless you have some real loud knocking in one area/side, your adjustment should be good.

Before you do anything, I would have a viper owner that knows what roller rockers sound like give you his opinion.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4