Noise in dash

268Copperhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not that familar with cars, car reparis, and or warranty work at DC.

I have a 2005 Copperhead. I love the car.

Bu tthere is a squeak in the dash. Whenever you hit a bump there is a sharp squeak that comes from the dash area. It sounds like plastic on plastic. But I can see the location.

Is this soemthing tht DC should fix? Or am I just being to picky.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there is a common squeak which someone someone recently posted directions on how to repair it. It is the center vent in the dash that rubs the vent tube. It was posted within the last month.

I am sure someone will chime in who knows or remembers.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
268- If DC wont help you out, or if you arent comfortable having a tech at a dealership take a look, let me know and I can help you out. Its a little late in this season, but if the problem is still there next summer I'll take a look if you come out to one of the Ontario club events.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very common on the 04s, didn't know it carried over to the 05s, there was actually a bulletin on it. It is most likely the center defroster vent, the plastic is a little too long, and when you hit a bump it rubs against the housing under it. The fix is to pull it out and shave off the bottom of the vent and put it back. Dealer did mine in about 15 minutes

OP
OP

268Copperhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. What a great group.

I wil try to get DC to take a look at it. But it might have to wait until next year. Seat tiem is tough this tiem of year. Want to take advantage of any opportunity I get.

Final GTS- I realy apprecaite the offer. Hopefully I wont have to take you up on it.

See you next year at a VCO event. I am looking forward to hearing about your mega project.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there is a common squeak which someone someone recently posted directions on how to repair it. It is the center vent in the dash that rubs the vent tube. It was posted within the last month.

Hi there,

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hi there,

I am the "someone" who posted the fix for this problem a few months ago. here is the TSB from AllData regarding the center vent repair. There are pictures on how to fix this so if anyone wants the complete repair with the pics just email me and I will send it to you. here is my AllData link for this repair but it may not work without my password.

http://www.alldatadiy.com/alldata/AFI~V7...63452/120824732

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interior - Rattles From Instrument Panel Area

NUMBER: 23-027-03

GROUP: Body

DATE: November 28, 2003

SUBJECT:
Instrument Panel Rattle Sound

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves modifying the IP center defroster duct.

MODELS:

2003 - 2004 (ZB) Viper

NOTE :This bulletin applies to vehicles built prior to November 1, 2003 (MDH 1101XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

Rattle sound from IP defroster grille area may be heard when driving over rough road surfaces. The defroster duct flange is touching bottom of defrost grille and/or IP substrate.

DIAGNOSIS:

If the vehicle operator describes the Symptom, tapping on the IP near the defroster duct will cause the rattle sound and confirm the condition if present.

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

1. Remove the defroster grille from IP (using trim stick or equivalent).

2. Remove the defroster duct mounting screws (2) and defroster duct (Fig. 1).

3. Using snips/cutters, remove upstanding flange around entire outlet side of duct (Fig. 1).

4. Remove any loose debris from the defroster duct area.

5. Reinstall duct with two screws, tighten the screws to 1.6 - 2.2 Nm (14 - 20 in. lbs.).

6. Reinstall defroster grille making sure it is secure around entire outside edge.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine