Noise when dumping clutch

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Recently I noticed that whenever I dump the clutch from 1st to 2nd, or downshift hard from 5th to 3rd @ 75 mph, a very distinct knock sound happens...Sounds like it comes from the clutch or a tranny mount?...This noise does not occur under "normal" operating conditions. Any suggestions or advice? Am I doing a clutch over the winter?

OP
OP
S

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Driveline slack would be my first thought too, but this is a "new" sound...I just turned 14,000 miles on my RT, and am quite used to the drive line slack noises, which typically occurs in my car under low loads...

Also (and this could be all in my mind) the clutch engages alot closer to the floor for the next few shifts, then appears to go back to normal...I plan on getting under it this week for a closer look at the drive train, tranny mounts, etc...

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a brand new GTS and it's made the clunk several times. Shouldn't there be a scrape or dent where one part is hitting another? With so many cases in this one thread, I think someone already has the answer. My 99 RT-10 would make the same sound, but it was VERY hard to do. The 2002 is easy.

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have headers they may hit the frame as your motor mount starts to wear out. Tranny mount may be bad, drive train wear??? Keep looking and put her up on a rack.

OP
OP
S

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does any one else think this could be the drivers side motor mount bottoming out on the metal stop? I cannot see anything "physically" wrong with it, but I cannot see the entire mount, even up on the lift...I am thinking of just replacing the motor mount, as the drivers side looks to be easy enough.

And remember, this only occurs under VERY heavy load, not just putzing around town...And as manasas1 said, it is rather hard to "make" this occur, unfortunately, I appear to be quite good at it...I have determined there is nothing wrong with my clutch.