noise when I turn

davem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,
I just bought a 96 GTS a few weeks ago. The car is making a noise when I turn at low speed. It is kind of a rhythmic scrubbing sound, almost like a tire is chafing on some bodywork. I looked and this is not the case.

Is this normal? If so, any ideas where it is coming from? I think it is coming from the back.

thanks for any suggestions,
Dave.

SERPENT INDIANA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the car has a bad spider gear it will make a noise in low speed turns...usually a grinding, crunching, popping noise....you can feel it as you turn....

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Loose exhaust hangers in side sills ? Turning corners causing it to push against body and vibrate???? Just a quick guess...

Gearld

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viperholics,

I am having the same problem in my 1998 GTS. Just curious, are spider gears or wheel bearings covered under the 'Maximum Care' extended warantee?

Thanks.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make sure it's not a brake line hitting the inside wheel balancing weights. I had this problem on a rear, the g's from a turn pushed the brake line in contact with the wheel weight.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave,

You are having the same problem as me. Let me explain my situation the best I can, and you tell me if yours is the same.

1.) The noise gets louder when making sharp turns, especially at slow speeds. You hear the noise, then you don't. Then you hear it, then you don't. The noise is correlated to the speed the front wheel is turning. The faster the wheel is turning, the faster the scraping/grinding noise becomes. Kind'a sounds like metal rubbing against metal. (I checked the brakes/rotor, they are fine - but the noise sounds like a bad brake rubbing a warped rotor. The pattern is noise - no noise - noise - no noise, etc...). You can still hear the noise, even when going straight, but it is not as loud. To hear the noise going straight, it has to have a parked car or wall to echo the sound off of. My noise sounds like it is coming from the front passenger wheel. I have noticed over the past 2 weeks, the noise continues to get louder.

2.) I jacked the passenger front/rear wheels, and spun them rapidly to see if I could detect the problem. NO NOISE?!?! ***? Checked the brakes/rotors, everything look A.O.K. I guess once the car is jacked up, there is no weight on that wheel. Maybe this is why I could not duplicate the sound when the car was jacked.

Dave, does this sound like you problem?

Later

OP
OP
D

davem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys,
I checked at lunch, it's absolutely coming from the front wheels.

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to jack it up tonight and try to see if the tires are rubbing on something underneath.

Bottom line is this should not be happening from what you guys are telling me.

Are bearing failures common on the front wheels?

thanks a lot,
Dave.

OP
OP
D

davem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,
This exactly describes the problem, 100%. It appears to be coming from the passenger side as well, and is starting to get a bit worse.

I'm taking it in to the dealer Thursday to see if they can figure it out, might pull the wheel myself this weekend first. I looked, saw no marks or anything where the wheel is touching.

Strange.

later,
Dave.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave,

Keep me posted on any findings. It seems like we have the same problem. I still need to make an appointment with my Viper tech. I may take another look this weekend.

Talk to you later....

CAP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doesn't sound exactly like the noise I had, but it's easy to check to see if your power steering fluid is up to the proper level. The pump makes a peculiar noise if the fluid is low.

Just one more thing to check.

OP
OP
D

davem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,
Well,
The Viper Tech in my area is useless. $255 bucks later I get a "dunno, maybe it's rust around the brake calipers". So I'm on to figure it out myself - or I may take it to Fitzgerald's in NH, anyone have experience with them?

thanks,
Dave.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave- To get the most accurate info in Fitzgerald's. Contact Don Boston at [email protected]

Don is the president in our region and works with Fitzgerald's regarding service on members cars. My personal experience is that they have been fair with me. Communication is key. Good luck~

* I talked to them today about putting brake pads on my car, they are backed up with recall work. Schedule- 30 days out.

Diablo Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do your cars have an aftermarket radiator? My car made noises with the aftermarket radiator installed.It was the fan hitting it when turning.I guess it caused to body to flex a little.

Joe